Photo

Can anyone tell me how to be a waitress? ... Kia? Help.

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#51 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,943 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

oh and get some uber comfy shoes.

I was a busboy, waiter, bartender for years.

Made great money but you see all types of people.

#52 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

edit fur better video and linky.......a must download ;)

http://www.fansofliv...?showtopic=3119

#53 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,841 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

she was a bitch but I don't care... she brought our food out on time'd....

edited to add: that was a reference to the song cdrhead posted in case you're not familiar with it... my post probably doesn't come across very well if you're not familiar with the song :lol:

#54 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

#55 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

lol. I love all that is this thread.

I went to a local restaurant today and spoke with the bartender. He said they were def. looking for someone and to go back tomorrow at 11am to talk to the owner. Ends up My brother knows the owner, so I might name drop. I have a gut feeling that i'll get the job.

& fuck it. I'm going to lie and say I've done it before...I'll play it off like it was a long time ago and need some retraining. I'll catch on!

#56 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Oh Nikki:

I so would love to be in the kitchen for this.LOL

LOL.. Don't you remember I worked at that steak place in Salem, Mass? *wink* wink*

#57 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

& fuck it. I'm going to lie and say I've done it before...I'll play it off like it was a long time ago and need some retraining. I'll catch on!

Nikki, I admire your willingness and drive, but I must ask why you would set yourself up for failure by lying about your experience.

#58 cdrhead

cdrhead
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Always serve from the left right ?

#59 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,841 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Always serve from the left right ?

I thought it was customary to pass left :funny1:

oh, I think that's what you said :lol:

Edited by Jwheelz, 29 March 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#60 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Nikki, I admire your willingness and drive, but I must ask why you would set yourself up for failure by lying about your experience.

Because I have nothing to lose...

#61 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Because I have nothing to lose...

You have nothing to lose by being honest, either.

#62 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

AWESOME LIVE song, BTW...!! :)

Everybody's good enough for some change.. some fuckin change... What a great album that is...

#63 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

You have nothing to lose by being honest, either.

Sure I do. They may say they need someone with experience... then I can't go back... Im going to say I waitressed like 10 years ago & the place is out of business...

#64 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Horse... Water, but no drink.

I wish you the best of luck faking it, Nikki!

#65 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

arrgh.. ok.. lemme think about this.

#66 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

You have your integrity to lose by lying. :heart:

#67 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

If they say they need someone with experience, perhaps you can ask them to give you a no strings attached trial?

#68 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

oh and get some uber comfy shoes.

I was a busboy, waiter, bartender for years.

Made great money but you see all types of people.

I can totally see you as a bartender, Tony! You have that Dynamic Energy,
I like all types of people! I'm pretty friendly. The bartender today said that one of the band members of Deep Purple comes in once a week.

Im going to download the menu and think about the fake..

#69 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Nikki

I strongly caution you against lying.

People have no idea how challenging serving can be. I did it for years--it is something that absolutely takes time and training to be able to do. Your employeer will know IN A HEARTBEAT that you don't know what you are doing.

When you have 4 different tables and:

table 1, needs to be greeted and they'd like to hear all the specials for the night as well ("oh, can you repeat the last 2 specials please?") then drink order taken (go to bar, and put in order - whole computer system needs to be learned to understand how to even order drinks). While your waiting for drinks for this table...

table 2: is waiting for you to bring the dessert they ordered. You must go back into the kitchen, plate the cake, warm it, add toppings, bring silverware and when you get there, they're going to ask for a couple of coffees to go with it (oh, no fresh coffee so you'll have to throw some on or find someone who isn't as busy as you to do it. finally get the coffee made, grab creamer, sugars, spoons only to get to the table, one person wants milk not cream) all the while....

table 3: you still need to grab the appetizer order waiting in the kitchen window (and the cooks are buzzing you now for the 3rd time to come and get it)

table 4: is eating the dinner you brought, but you haven't been back to ask them how it is and their water glasses are empty so the bartender that you're waiting on to get your drinks to table 1 better hurry up so you can go make the desserts, put on the coffee, check on table 3 and refil their water, and get the apps out to table 2.

people will need drinks all the while, have questions about the menu.. ask you to go ask the cook if there is butter in that meal, your boss will notice that table 4 is now finished with their meal and will ask you why you haven't cleared their plates and asked if they want dessert...

you need to take care of all 4 tables all at once (and some of those tables will have 2 people and some will have 6 people)

people really have no idea how much running and organization they need to have to make all this work. it is an absolute skill, not aquired by all.

don't lie. srsly.

#70 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I'll generally be polite enough to leave a long winded note if I get what I consider bad service with no tip or a small tip and a really good tip if I get really good service...my tips:

1. If you are understaffed/assigned too many tables/a cook short let me know when I sit down that everything might take a few extra minutes. Doing this gets you a pass when I'm figuring my tip based on service.

2. I eat hot spicy food, I'll order two beverages (water +tea/beer/soda), I'll also order an extra water for whoever is dining with me. IF I have nothing to drink and my mouth is burning you will get no tip and a note telling you why. If you don't say anything when you notice my empty cups at the edge of the table and force me to walk into the kitchen to refill my own drinks while getting yelled at by the kitchen staff the same applies.

3. Know how to work that computer thingy or figure out how to do a custom order, don't tell me I can't have let's say A rueben (meatless) with half of a side of french fries and half of a side of cole slaw.......I know I it can be done, the human race has come so far. IF the place has a policy about no split side orders let me know that you would love to do it but you would be out of a job.....I'll order an extra side and your tip will not reflect it.

4. Don't chit chit with co workers while I'm waiting for ANYTHING! And if doing so causes me to say "excuse me..." and you tell me to wait while chatting about your date last night....

5. Fill requests for condiments ASAP when serving a meal. For example, if a table does not have ketchup and someone ordered fries they might want the ketchup before their fries get cold. The same goes for cream for coffee.....

Good luck and if I ever randomly eat at where your future job is and you get a note explaining how you screwed up my dining experience you will know you didn't listen to my tips.

#71 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

oh and don't forget that you punched in the wrong order for table 1 and only 2 apps came out, while one person doesn't have his/hers. You've got to run to the kitchen, plead with the cooks to make an order on the fly and find the manager to explain before the table complains about you.

and table 4 decides they didn;t like the meal and you must track down the manager again to comp it from the check - that can take 5-6 minutes right there. meanwhile one of the cooks likes to sexually harrass all the waitresses and some drunk customer needs to be shut off.

lol

#72 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

and learn the wine list, beers on tap and in bottle

is the fish fresh or frozen?

what side options can I have with that?

do you make your desserts here?

know waitstaff lingo "in the weeds" "69 oysters" "on the fly" "I need that comped"

and don't sit around and drink after your shift - not at first anyway. prove you are a good worker first - don't give them any behavior they might question.

#73 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,525 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

they may fire you on the spot if they realize you lied to them honesty is always the best policy. It's not like you are applying to be a rocket scientist. High School kids wait tables.

#74 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

remember: "can I warm that up for you, hon?

#75 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

LMAO CC! Awesome! You guys are right... I wont be able to lie. LOL! don't scare me out of this.. I need the money! lol.

#76 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

No one is trying to scare you out of trying, just out of lying.

#77 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

1. Take acting lessons
2. Say you're an actor
3. **POOF** you're a waitress

#78 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

You can do this Nikki!
Smile, be genuine and try your best- skills are meant to be built up
<3

#79 moed_over

moed_over

He saw the spinning lights he knew it was a sign....

• VibeTribe
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

I have never taken orders, but I've eaten in restaurants plenty, so I know how to interact with the customers as far as taking orders go.

Not that I'm making an exact comparison, but just because I know generally how a plane works and have been on one doesn't mean I'm ready to be a pilot at an airline...

#80 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

You can do this Nikki!
Smile, be genuine and try your best- skills are meant to be built up
<3

Zactly! You've got good people skills, you'll do great with some practice/experience, just don't "hobble" your chances by lying about what you aren't,

Come to think of it, that is so opposite to my experience of you. You've always been a "this is me" kind of person.

#81 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Nikki

I strongly caution you against lying.

People have no idea how challenging serving can be. I did it for years--it is something that absolutely takes time and training to be able to do. Your employeer will know IN A HEARTBEAT that you don't know what you are doing.

When you have 4 different tables and:

table 1, needs to be greeted and they'd like to hear all the specials for the night as well ("oh, can you repeat the last 2 specials please?") then drink order taken (go to bar, and put in order - whole computer system needs to be learned to understand how to even order drinks). While your waiting for drinks for this table...

table 2: is waiting for you to bring the dessert they ordered. You must go back into the kitchen, plate the cake, warm it, add toppings, bring silverware and when you get there, they're going to ask for a couple of coffees to go with it (oh, no fresh coffee so you'll have to throw some on or find someone who isn't as busy as you to do it. finally get the coffee made, grab creamer, sugars, spoons only to get to the table, one person wants milk not cream) all the while....

table 3: you still need to grab the appetizer order waiting in the kitchen window (and the cooks are buzzing you now for the 3rd time to come and get it)

table 4: is eating the dinner you brought, but you haven't been back to ask them how it is and their water glasses are empty so the bartender that you're waiting on to get your drinks to table 1 better hurry up so you can go make the desserts, put on the coffee, check on table 3 and refil their water, and get the apps out to table 2.

people will need drinks all the while, have questions about the menu.. ask you to go ask the cook if there is butter in that meal, your boss will notice that table 4 is now finished with their meal and will ask you why you haven't cleared their plates and asked if they want dessert...

you need to take care of all 4 tables all at once (and some of those tables will have 2 people and some will have 6 people)

people really have no idea how much running and organization they need to have to make all this work. it is an absolute skill, not aquired by all.

don't lie. srsly.

OK, I would go to table one and tell them I will be right with them. go to the kitchen and start fixing and warming the dessert for table 2. While the dessert is warming, bring out those appitizers for table 3, along with some bread for table 1 and a round of water. go back into the kitchen to finish the dessert for table 2. bring it out and then go to table 1 to read them the specials and take their order if they are ready. refill water, get some drinks for all tables, go to kitchen and put in app for table 1 and then go to table 4 to take their dessert order....
repeat... repeat... repeat... lol.

#82 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Zactly! You've got good people skills, you'll do great with some practice/experience, just don't "hobble" your chances by lying about what you aren't,

Come to think of it, that is so opposite to my experience of you. You've always been a "this is me" kind of person.

lol. thats gotten me in trouble, tho. lol.

I wasnt thinking to make up this huge lie.. just say I worked in a restaurant for a couple of months. I can say it was a counter job or something. You guys are doing a good job of talking me out of it tho...

& Thanks for your input also ECO... I am absorbing everything...

#83 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,523 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

pleeeeeeease :rolleyes:

fake it till you make it. thats what i say. dont outright lie about skills you dont or never had... but exaggerate sure...you HAVE TO SELL URSELF...anyone here who tells you different is dead wrong.

#84 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

Not that I'm making an exact comparison, but just because I know generally how a plane works and have been on one doesn't mean I'm ready to be a pilot at an airline...

no.. but if you fly enough, you may be able to recite the 'wear your seat belt' speech...

#85 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,523 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

and shame on anyone who thinks she cant do this.

#86 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

they may fire you on the spot if they realize you lied to them honesty is always the best policy. It's not like you are applying to be a rocket scientist. High School kids wait tables.

They will never know that a restaurant I made up in Massachussets, never existed. Restaurants come and go all the time. I wouldn't lie with any other position, but the restaurant isnt doing background checks.

#87 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

pleeeeeeease :rolleyes:

fake it till you make it. thats what i say. dont outright lie about skills you dont or never had... but exaggerate sure...you HAVE TO SELL URSELF...anyone here who tells you different is dead wrong.

Saying you have experience when you have none is not exaggerating, it's an outright lie.

Selling yourself is great, however setting a perspective employers' expectation of you with a outright lie is indeed a recipe for disaster (pun intended).

#88 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

lol

#89 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

I do have a little experience in the kitchen. I worked in a catering hall for 5 weddings, and I volunteered where Augie works for benefits a couple of times.

#90 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Thats why I feel like I could pull it off to fudge it. I understand the system.

#91 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

I do have a little experience in the kitchen. I worked in a catering hall for 5 weddings, and I volunteered where Augie works for benefits a couple of times.

Thats why I feel like I could pull it off to fudge it. I understand the system.

Aha! So by exaggeration: you have about 6 months experience working at catering halls, and you worked part-time in a kitchen!

#92 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Go get 'em Tiger!

#93 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

Aha! So by exaggeration: you have about 6 months experience working at catering halls, and you worked part-time in a kitchen!

hmmm..

#94 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

I would use that as your prior experience and explain that you feel you have some background but learn quickly.
Than just smile, you'll get it ;-)

(in reply to your experience catering)

Edited by ladygingechilla, 30 March 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#95 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

You got this shit lady :)

#96 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,523 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

;)

#97 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Go get 'em Tiger!

Thanks! :D I'm gonna face ass that place! lol.

#98 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

Thanks for gettin my back, Capt! <3

#99 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,523 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Thanks! :D I'm gonna face ass that place! lol.

dont break anything :)

#100 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

Always always always check back with your folks about 2 minutes after you drop their order to see if they need anything, if their food is to their liking, etc,I don't care how busy you are and be back with whatever they asked for.