Photo

Can anyone tell me how to be a waitress? ... Kia? Help.

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#1 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,081 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yea, I know I'm asking for trouble with this thread, but ser-biz.... I have some questions for anyone who has ever been a waitress...

Do you write down people's orders in some sort of order? (like clockwise, counter clockwise?)

Do you tell the kitchen the appetizer order first, and then go back to tell them the main dish? Do I have to time it myself?

Any tips on how to get good tips?

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

show bewbz, smile a lot, keep glasses full

#3 CreekFreek

CreekFreek
  • VibeTribe
  • 850 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

My friend works as a waitress for catering at Mohegan Sun. She said she makes great tips and it's a good way to get your feet wet with waitressing.

I bet there are some good gigs in the Hamptons over the summer.

#4 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

BE ORGANIZED!!
Know the menu and food and how it is prepared.

Always smile and be cheery and in a good mood.
Folks dont care if your dog just died they are paying money for courtious, prompt service.

as soon as they sit down introduce yourself....Hi my name is niccole and i will be your server......give them water, bread, whatever right away.

Take appetizer order and enter it immediately so they get food infront of them fast......if the cooks are slow they will take it out on your tip.

Take dinner order and help with questions and suggestions.

once dinner is served give them 10 min then come back and make sure everything is okay.

what kind of resteraunt?

SMILE!!! and yes show boobs to men.....take of wedding ring be chatty......dont spend time standing by telling people about your day, how busy it is, your cat dog ect....or butting in to their conversations......they dont care.....just get them good hot food and smile.......the rest will work its way out.

#5 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

yes on keeping waters full, or just work at a place that puts pitchers on tables :lol: my biggest peeve is an empty glass, be it water or othewise

Don't bother the table, find a balance of checking at appropriate times, I mean not overchecking

Just think about good service you've received, and do that.

Also, have a couple "must try" items ready to suggest. I like getting the servers opinion when I am torn between two. I'd rather hear a waitress say, go with this over that, then say everythings a winner here. BC that's rarely the case. Honestly is good, especially when your rec results in a satisfied customer!

#6 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

plz to not be bringing me app, salad and main course within 10 minutes of each other

I **HATE** that

glasses full,,ashtrays empty = bigger tip!

#7 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

1. know the menu
2. smile
3. have your manners and be friendly - if you mess up, less painful for you. ha

and.... dont stalk me but if my drink is empy for the love of GOD fill it back up!

and some of the questions you have may be different per restaurant.... policies etc.

#8 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,081 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

:) Ok.. So Bewbs and organization... I can handle that... :bouncey:

I'm going to shoot for the busy restaurants first... I have a couple of steakhouse bar type places that are always packed... And there is an Applebees down the road. I plan on telling them that I have experience... So I need to be able to fudge it.

#9 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,081 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

plz to not be bringing me app, salad and main course within 10 minutes of each other

I **HATE** that

glasses full,,ashtrays empty = bigger tip!

ASHTRAYS! LOLZ !!!

#10 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,081 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I also hate when my main course comes out before the app is finished.... !

OK.. Drinks always full.. Check. Know the menu... Check! Keep em coming!

#11 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

People are better at waiting if you get them a drink and some rolls stat! Where are you gonna waitress so we can plan a boardie din-din! :D

If you've never done this before maybe see if you can start off bussing tables until you get the hang of it. If all else fails, show the bewbz. :D

#12 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

do not check on them too much but pay attention to them.

do not make them wait for the check.

#13 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Ice Water.

A wait person can fuck most anything else up but if my water remains dry for too long (that's pretty much all I drink during meals, or anytime other than Boozzzzeeeeee time!)
i get pissy and adjust teh tip accordingly. I often ask for a pitcher, and I'll drink it.

#14 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

this might not apply to you so much, but i know in burlington you NEVER want to take a table filled with french canadians. they spend twice as long eating, are twice as needy, and every. single. time. they won't tip and claim the "i did not know the tip wasn't included in the bill" foreign citizen bullshit.

also, i hate french canadians. :coffee:

#15 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Sorry to say it, but you're setting yourself up for disaster by lying about waiting experience. It's not as easy as just writing down orders and being organized. There's a rythm to it, and if you pretend you've done it before, they're going to know on your first day that you lied.

You're much better off not lying, starting out at a place where they take in new wait staff and train them. Think Denny's; places on that level.

By all means try all the places you want, but starting out with a new job by lying about knowing how to do it is a recipe for trouble.

#16 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

I agree with Diddy. Don't lie about experience, they will know right away anyway. Chain restaurants all have training for new waiters (experienced or not) so it's then that you'll learn how things are done in that particular restaurant. If you find a server position in a privately owned place, they typically train too albeit in a less formal fashion.

Finding a friend who can get you in where they work is your best bet right now. Most restaurants get flooded with applicants so the hook is where it's at.

Good luck!

Tips for if you do get a position:
~check on customer's meal satisfaction in two minutes or two bites (nothing worse then needing something and your waiter doesn't come back for check on you)
~write EVERYTHING down (you think you'll remember but you won't)
~if you get slammed and are overwhelmed ask for help before it's a crisis
~the customer is always right

#17 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

ask what the company policy on harassment is

lol

My sister waitressed in college for 2 weeks before some guy grabbed her ass (full hand, full cheek) she dumped the pitcher of iced tea she was carrying over his head and walked out

#18 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,081 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I don't know anyone who works in a restaurant...So as far as connections, Im at a loss.

I know its risky to say I have experience, but I did work in a catering place for like a month back in college, and I've done 2 major parties as a volunteer. I have never taken orders, but I've eaten in restaurants plenty, so I know how to interact with the customers as far as taking orders go.

I dont know waitressing shorthand, tho. :/ You guys might be right... I could be safer at applebees, where they are going to train me no matter what.

#19 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,551 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I think Applebees and TGIF's do not write down the orders, but rather they memorize them. So if thats not your thing I wouldnt be going there . lol.

#20 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,081 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think Applebees and TGIF's do not write down the orders, but rather they memorize them. So if thats not your thing I wouldnt be going there . lol.

pfft. yea right... I cant do that. What if theres a party of like 6 people. no way.

#21 chefjeff

chefjeff
  • VibeTribe
  • 700 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

Oh Nikki:

I so would love to be in the kitchen for this.LOL

From my experience.

Learn Menu in and out. No excuses

Get in good with the cooks!!! Just be nice. You know how to do that so you have no issues there!

Most new places use touch screen technology for ordering. Learn the system!

As a veteran don't go to a chain right off the bat. You will end up drinking heavily :)

As far as guests plan on getting your ass kicked but just say yes.

Someone else said keep water filled. Yes this is key! It means you care and you develop eye contact all the time.

Dont talk to much but yes smile and laugh

I dont care what anyone says. Write stuff down.

Be aware of the weird cooks......

I think you will do fine. Maybe start as a Hostess first. This way you see how the environment is and then you can decide if you want to stay.

Hope this helps!

Cheffrey

Dont burn bridges

#22 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Agreeing with Diddy & Karen, do not lie about experience or ability.

#23 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

You should prolly avoid all places that have a bar...prolly

And don't lie. Waiters/waitresses who know what they're doing will pick you out in a heartbeat if you don't know what you're doing.

Are there any Friendly's left out by you? That's where most people I knew back in high school used to go to get their feet wet waitressing.

#24 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

I would agree that starting out at a chain type casual dining place is a better option than lying.... its going to be really easy to see through your "experience" when you can't give any references or tell the place name/manager's name/ etc that you worked at ... plus many chains have their own "school"

also a casual place will have more turn over vs a nice place so if you screw up an order you won't screw up your whole night (where as at a fancy steak place you might only have like 10 tables all night so if you mess up an order or two you are going to be losing out big time on your tips)

plus a patron at TGI Fridays isn't looking for the best most professional waitress but at a steak house where I am throwing down $100 per person if you mess something up I am NOT going to be happy and you'll see it in your tip

#25 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

#26 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

I have never taken orders, but I've eaten in restaurants plenty.

:rofl:

Seriously?....................Your screwed! :lol:

#27 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

"I've never worked in IT, but I play on computers all day."

SOOO not the same thing... :lol:

#28 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

"I've never worked in IT, but I play on computers all day."

SOOO not the same thing... :lol:

Worse: I've never programmed, but I used some before.
Or
I've never played an instrument, but I enjoy listening to music.

#29 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

All kidding aside, would it be possible for you to take a trial run, Nikki? Like go in during a slow day and get your feet wet?

#30 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

You can come practice your waiting skills on me but you'll only be getting a small tip :(

#31 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,594 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

just the tiny tip'd :lol:

#32 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Every girl who practices their skills on you gets a small tip, Jack.

#33 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

I give you credit coming in here for fools comments Nikki when you probably could have asked your chef boyfriend these questions in the privacy of your own home.

#34 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,169 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

What...you don't think he'd also give her fool comments?? Then he'd come here to post said fools comments...and we'd make more!

#35 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

I don't know anyone who works in a restaurant...So as far as connections, Im at a loss.

Wasn't Augie a server at a catering hall near you? Maybe you could get in there....

#36 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I give you credit coming in here for fools comments Nikki when you probably could have asked your chef boyfriend these questions in the privacy of your own home.

Well, that just means she's got the masochistic part of waitressing down already! ;)

#37 chefjeff

chefjeff
  • VibeTribe
  • 700 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Having known Nichole This is a TV show in the making.

Can I have a water in a chilled glass w only three ice cubes to start

Appetizer:

Please have the cooks prepare the buffalo wings. Mild. Not hot !!! and bake them instead of fried.

Main entree:

Please give my the NY sirloin Medium rare , Blackened . If its not Medium Rare then its going back!

Sides:

Steamed Broccoli! not microwaved! with no butter!!!

garlic mashed potatoes with no garlic please.

Desert:

What do you recommend?

Probably what I would get......

Kiss my ass :)

I can see her laughing now!

This is why I eat at home!

I still have nightmares of being a cook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the waitresses loved me because it was break time at 4: 20 in my truck! Right before the rush :)

#38 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

ask what the company policy on harassment is

lol

My sister waitressed in college for 2 weeks before some guy grabbed her ass (full hand, full cheek) she dumped the pitcher of iced tea she was carrying over his head and walked out

that was your sister? :blush:

#39 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,664 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm sorry, but I waitressed when I was 18 until I was like, 21, and it fucking sucked. :lol:

Makes you really start to hate people.

Don't get me wrong. The $ was great, but it was also unpredictable. One week you will make a killin', the next week, dirt.

It was fun for the most part, but I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER EVER EVER do it again. :lol:

With that being said, Good luck Nikki! :cheerleader:

:lol: (Sorry if I'm the one person who had to burst the waitress bubble in here :lol: )

#40 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

yes. it did suck. i walked out when jerry stiller decided to call me a 'fat cow' because i forgot he wanted Italian dressing on his salad, not "LITE italian" (which he ordered the day before!)

i was wearing my work shirt over another tank top... right then and there, i took the stupid shirt off, threw it on the table and told him to get it himself. and i swore a tiny bit... ha. and never ever waited again

#41 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

yes. it did suck. i walked out when jerry stiller decided to call me a 'fat cow' because i forgot he wanted Italian dressing on his salad, not "LITE italian" (which he ordered the day before!)

i was wearing my work shirt over another tank top... right then and there, i took the stupid shirt off, threw it on the table and told him to get it himself. and i swore a tiny bit... ha. and never ever waited again

:lol:

:clapping:

#42 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'd be honored if Jerry Stiller called me a fat cow... ;)

#43 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

i was honored that he remembered my name started with a "J" after serving him for three months, nearly every day . . . "jennifer" "joyce" "june" "jaaaaa....."

calling me a fat cow wasn't too honorable for me. ha

#44 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

You should have given him a thank you Mr Meara ;)

#45 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

good story, would've been better without the additional tank top, but still, good story. :lol:

#46 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,941 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Who is Jerry Stiller?

#47 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Posted Image

#48 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

good story, would've been better without the additional tank top, but still, good story. :lol:

boy. ha! i wasn't about to go naked fat cow on him

#49 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

http://en.wikipedia....i/Jerry_Stiller

#50 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,941 posts