Vibes Parents - Festival Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

We will be attending our first festival as parents this summer. We will be hitting up the String Summit in August. The fest is super laid back and kid friendly. But I am wondering if you have any tips for traveling with a little one. Our guy will be just about 13 months at that time.

Thanks!

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,796 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Note: you might want to also post this in the parenting forum to maximize parental exposure.

#3 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

thanks. i will fish there if nobody bites here.

#4 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

miles was about 13 months old when we took him to his first fest. we brought some blanket sleepers for nighttime, the pack and play for him to hang out in and to sleep in. he was eating regular food by then, so just made sure to have plenty of bananas, avocados, and tofu for him to munch on. :)

he loved (still does) being outside all day. he slept awesome in the tent, gotta love all that fresh air!

#5 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

one of these:
Posted Image

- great for lugging all the things a kid requires
- great for lugging the kid
- at night, fold the seats down, plop in a blanket or two, and you have a makeshift bed for naps, etc... It also keeps the sleeping infant/toddler off the ground and safe
- at the entrance/gate when seats are down and filled with kid care stuff, you can stash a couple of beers in the space under the folded seats ;)
- good for making a boundary/wall around your blanket/space on the concert field

#6 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

miles was about 13 months old when we took him to his first fest. we brought some blanket sleepers for nighttime, the pack and play for him to hang out in and to sleep in. he was eating regular food by then, so just made sure to have plenty of bananas, avocados, and tofu for him to munch on. :)

he loved (still does) being outside all day. he slept awesome in the tent, gotta love all that fresh air!

Were you able to fit the pack n play in the tent?

#7 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Yes. We have a large 12 x 12 tent, one room. We put the pack and play in between our air mattresses.

Plus, it was great to have for him to hang out in at the campsite. :)

#8 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

My kids have been going to fests since they were about 3 mos old.

WAGON - you can pull stuff in it, them in it, turn it into a bed
Sun shelter
small blow up kiddie pool - put it under the sun shelter & they can stay cool & entertained during the day - you can fill them w/ a bladder bag
sunscreen, earplugs etc.
beach balls & other assorted dollar store toys (pinwheels, bubbles,)
glow sticks for night time
pack & play for tent or just a small blow up mattress or even cheap blow up pool raft
warm clothes & hat for nighttime (it can get chilly depending where & when)

I'll think of more

#9 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I've seen lots of kids at fests with sound-cancelling ear muffs on - at first I thought they were headphones for the lil' ones to groove to their own sort of tunes, but nope - they are to protect their lil' ear drums.

If I were bringing a kid to a music fest, I would definitely make sure to protect their ears. Hell, I wish I had been more cognizent of this as a young'un myself. Tinnitus sucks.

#10 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,652 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Kelly,

You forgot one set of friends to watch their/your kids
Uncle Andrew to tire the kids out
Uncle Ryan to keep close watch on Uncle Andrew. :lol:

#11 upsguy

upsguy
  • VibeTribe
  • 563 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

I've seen lots of kids at fests with sound-cancelling ear muffs on - at first I thought they were headphones for the lil' ones to groove to their own sort of tunes, but nope - they are to protect their lil' ear drums.

If I were bringing a kid to a music fest, I would definitely make sure to protect their ears. Hell, I wish I had been more cognizent of this as a young'un myself. Tinnitus sucks.

This is very important

#12 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

good info!

#13 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

when lily was smaller, we used a stroller with a tray on it and dumped water into the tray so she could splash around in it and stay cool and hydrated on the hot days. worked wonders. also kept her entertained so her compulsive need to escape the confines of strollerdom were kept to a minimum.

#14 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

i have to see if we can fit a pack n play in our tent. if not, it might be worth buying a new one.

#15 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,648 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

If you plan on camping with your child in the future, it will definitely be worth it.

#16 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,629 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

yes, this! I can't believe it didn't make my first list. We have these:
http://www.earplugst...CFUKR7Qod0y0QxA

That is Benji in the picture on their site, at a festival, sleeping with his ear-muffs in his pimped out red wagon :)

#17 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

:thumbup:

#18 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

cool. are those the best ones to buy?