• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

i'm considering using a matched pair of these, with a three-way toggle for each pick-up, in the guitar i'm building.

http://www.seymourdu...t/prails_shpr1/

Posted Image

#2 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

i haven't any experience with guitar pickups, as i'm not a guitarist. however, i've been following the curcaster with great interest. perhaps you build a bass one day?

#3 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

going by their review, guitar player seems to like them.

i can't say for sure what the next project will be; i have this to tackle first.

it's great fun, though that first draw of the fret saw, across a line measured to the thousandth of an inch, is a hold your breath moment.

#4 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

going by their review, guitar player seems to like them. i can't say for sure what the next project will be; i have this to tackle first. it's great fun, though that first draw of the fret saw, across a line measured to the thousandth of an inch, is a hold your breath moment.

that's why my custom bass will be fretless. :wink:

#5 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

that's why my custom bass will be fretless. :wink:

makes for a lot less measuring and cutting... :pimp:

#6 augeleven

augeleven
  • VibeTribe
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

My friend was using them for a bit. Two in a 60's sg. I think what they make up in versatility, they don't quite sound as good as a well matched pickup/guitar combination. I think my friend ended up with some kind of Lindy Fralin eventually.

Also the extra wiring made the guitar noisier than it originally was, which was annoying for high gain stuff.

What kinds of sounds are you hoping to get? My all in one guitar solution was a les paul studio with Hum single Hum, coil switching, and an always on Neck pickup switch. but its noisy played loud under the lights.

#7 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

ideally the best of all worlds though i realize that won't happen. they'll both be tapped using separate toggle switches and the guitar will have a three-way pickup selector. if necessary, i can reverse a magnet. i can also try different combinations of tapped hb's if i can't what i want from a pair.

they are going in this guitar (solid neck through a chambered body): http://www.gathering...6513-curcaster/

#8 augeleven

augeleven
  • VibeTribe
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

wow, that guitar looks beautiful!

#9 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:38 PM