Engine light

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

I have a 2002 Jetta wagon with 107,000 miles and the engine light just came on. The car is riding fine and doesn't feel any different, but I did notice last week that my gas mileage has dropped 3 or 4 mpg.
Not sure if the two are related as I always get worse mileage in the winter, but somebody once told me that VW engine lights are programmed to go off every so often just so you'll bring your car in for servicing that it probably doesn't need.
Does anyone know if there's any truth in this and if so, how do I turn the engine light off? :dunno:

#2 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

I have a 2002 Jetta wagon with 107,000 miles and the engine light just came on. The car is riding fine and doesn't feel any different, but I did notice last week that my gas mileage has dropped 3 or 4 mpg.
Not sure if the two are related as I always get worse mileage in the winter, but somebody once told me that VW engine lights are programmed to go off every so often just so you'll bring your car in for servicing that it probably doesn't need.
Does anyone know if there's any truth in this and if so, how do I turn the engine light off? :dunno:

I've never heard of that, but I've also heard from mechanics that the slightest dirt on any of the car's sensors can trigger the engine light to go on.

For my car, the engine light has been on for several months. When I brought my car to my mechanic a few months back for new back breaks, a tire rotation, an inspection and to adjust the latch on the trunk door which wasn't sticking, he ran the tests to determine what was keeping the light on, and told me the light was on because the catalytic converter was going and at some point it would need to be replaced, but that the one in the car right now was still okay. Running the tests shut the light off, which allowed my car to pass inspection.

The light is now back and I've noticed a slight decrease in my mileage to the gallon, but not really enough of a big difference in it. So I guess if anything, he bought me some time to get the catalytic converter replaced before my next inspection is due.

#3 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

So I should probably pay my guy to check it out?

#4 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, it's probably worth it to see what is causing the light to go on. He may waive the diagnostic/testing fee on the bill if you go through with the repair.

#5 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

So after being on for 3 days, the light is now off.
WTF? :dunno:

#6 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, I don't get the check engine light on the VW. Mine was on, it went off after he ran the diagnostic testing, but went back on 4 or 5 days later. Good times!!

#7 ricksvw

ricksvw
  • VibeTribe
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

I have a 99 audi and found that buying a 25 dollar VAG cable that runs on the free vag com software connected to my laptop, I was able to see the engine codes and fix my car myself. You can read the codes and clear the check engine light.
I got one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/...omotiveQ5fTools
Just make sure you check that it is compatable for your car!
My guy charges $75 bucks for a diag!
My problem was a $10 coolant sensor.
If you live near Lancaster PA, I will scan your car for free.

#8 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

Right on!! My mechanic scanned my car to read the codes. It's definitely the catalytic converter!

#9 ricksvw

ricksvw
  • VibeTribe
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

That is something that can happen or go bad/ I have had to replace them in more than one vehicle, Sorry. I know how much they usually cost, try your local junkyard to save a few bux...

#10 lunaone

lunaone
  • VibeTribe
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

how about high mileage? i think the light comes on after 100k
old gas cap thing too

#11 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Check engine light gone... check!!

:jam:

#12 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

Mine too, but it took the plow guy totalling my car to get it done. :funny1:

#13 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Ooops!! :funny1:

#14 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

My 12 year old 4-runner has had its engine light on for years and years. Spent a good long time, different mechanics, different ideas, replaced different parts, still always comes back on.

Since it ran no different I've just learned to live with it. The pretty orange light keeps me company now.

#15 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

My 12 year old 4-runner has had its engine light on for years and years. Spent a good long time, different mechanics, different ideas, replaced different parts, still always comes back on.

Since it ran no different I've just learned to live with it. The pretty orange light keeps me company now.

NYS law states that businesses that admisnister inspections on automobiles cannot pass a car with a check engine light on. I was unable to trip the check engine light this time around, so I had to deal with the repair (catalytic converter). It wasn't too bad considering I ordered the part online and had my mechanic do it at his home garage for next to nothing.

#16 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

NYS law states that businesses that admisnister inspections on automobiles cannot pass a car with a check engine light on. I was unable to trip the check engine light this time around, so I had to deal with the repair (catalytic converter). It wasn't too bad considering I ordered the part online and had my mechanic do it at his home garage for next to nothing.

Yep, replaced that sucker too. Light came right back on.

Theres usually a day or so delay from when he trips it to when it comes back on again, so he shuts the light off and immediately brings it to get inspected :wink:

#17 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

By the way, to trip the light temporarily just disconnect the engine and reconnect.
May also wipe out your saved radio stations however :wink:

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,012 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

I just used some gaffer's tape. Never saw the light come on again.:rolleyes:

#19 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,208 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Yep, replaced that sucker too. Light came right back on.

Ouch! I'm scared of that happening. I think more so because my mechanic kept making a joke about it when it came up in conversation. :lol:

Theres usually a day or so delay from when he trips it to when it comes back on again, so he shuts the light off and immediately brings it to get inspected :wink:

That's awesome! Last year, I was able to trip the check engine light by just plugging the little machine that reads the computer codes into the car's computer, and then resetting the car's computer after taking the reading. I was able to pass inspection later that afternoon, and the light came back on the next day.

But the light is off... for the time being! :lol:

#20 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

It should be called "check your wallet at the door" light
fortunately the 77 westy's got no such thing! (but Mary's dang 2001 GLS does)
of course the snow tire ruined by a nail that will need to be replaced by 2 new snows (since the Dunlop model no longer available) is a bigger issue.
DAMN CARS! guess the kids'll have to do college in 3 years to save $$ now!

#21 tom maucher

tom maucher
  • VibeTribe
  • 35 posts
  • Locationrosendale, ny

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Disconnect the light. I won't tell.

#22 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

I forgot all about this thread!   :rolling:

The engine light is no longer an issue.

Jetta got totaled when a snow plow traveling in reverse plowed into it in my office parking lot.