• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Rescently I've noticed a change in my skin and also the level of breakouts. When I lived in NJ it was common for me to get an acne spot here and there. But when I moved down south my skin cleared up. I thought it was due to my body chemistry changing. Soon I realized it was because of the lack of pollution. When I moved back to NJ I noticed I started getting breakouts again. And now that I moved down to the DC area I noticed the breakout have lessened once again. It's not completely gone like it was in South Carolina, but a lot better then it was in NJ.

Has anyone else noticed this when they have moved??????????

#2 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,070 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

climate can definitely affect skin. so can hormones and stuff. like aging.
my teeth went downhill when I moved to Long Island/NYC from New Jersey.

#3 forestdancer

forestdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

DC has less pollution then NJ? or does that depend on wear in NJ? Cause I live in the very north country part

#4 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:18 AM

I have horrible skin right now, but I think it's all on account of my sweating so much during my bike rides... I've noticed that anywhere my helmet goes is the areas that are being effected, but there's no way I am riding these streets without a helmet, so I just have to deal with it all for now and exfoliate every night and morning.

Sucks to be sure. :plain:

#5 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

possibly change helmet styles or wash the liner?

#6 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

Good suggestion, but the foam padding is stuck right on there - it's non removable. I have started wearing a bandana underneath the helmet to try and get some breathing space for my skin.

I'm just gonna wash my face every day when I get into work. I've never really had bad skin but right now it's just blah... All the humidity isn't helping of course... It's highly annoying, but exfoliating the effected areas seems to have helped somewhat already... Just gotta take care of myself instead of drifting along letting stuff take care of itself for the time being, I guess.

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,745 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:50 PM

Yep. When i lived out west, my skin problems cleared up completely. When I moved back to NY, it started up the same as before (ithaca). When I moved to NYC, all hell broke loose (so to speak). I have the worst skin disordeers here and convinced it is a pollution related problem...along with humidity.

#8 Amethyst

Amethyst
  • VibeTribe
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

yup, my skin has been breaking out horribly since I moved back home. It was bad when I was a teenager, cleared up when i moved.. it's gotta be the water. If I don't do a 3 step regimen everyday to take care of it, it gets really bad!

#9 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

I live between Fresno and LA, in the inland Valley of CA (the armpit of CA lol where all teh LA smog settles). I've lived here about a year and have to get microdermabrasion every month or so to keep my skin clear. I really hate spending that much money, but when I cringe at the expense and don't get it done, I look like shit and regret it.

#10 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

I've lived here about a year and have to get microdermabrasion every month or so to keep my skin clear.

I've never tried a microdermabrasion kit or procedure. Did you go to someone or do a home kit? If you did a home kit what did you use?

I have keep up on myself with wipes and what not or I'll break out. It get a bit expensive but I found a good solution that works for me so far. Although I do get a breakout every so often.

#11 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hi Joe,
You can go to any ethiscian. I would go somewhere that the dermabrassion is listed as an hour procedure though and get the oxygen afterwards.My face is so grateful for at least a few minutes of clean air every month :). Also make sure they use brand name products, like dermologica etc, or holistic ones.
You're going to have to shave your sexy beard though. Sorry man. They can't do it with facial hair. They totally made me shave mine, jk.

I've never tried a microdermabrasion kit or procedure. Did you go to someone or do a home kit? If you did a home kit what did you use?

I have keep up on myself with wipes and what not or I'll break out. It get a bit expensive but I found a good solution that works for me so far. Although I do get a breakout every so often.

#12 jamiebear

jamiebear
  • VibeTribe
  • 837 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

i live in sf
moved from philly-my skin and hair are AWFUL out here!

#13 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

The humidity is killing me this year - I have the worst skin I have ever had in my entire LIFE!!! So fucking frustrating!!! :bang:

#14 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

i've noticed my skin definitely gets more "congested" (blackheads & such) depending on where i live. serious breakouts can be attributed to my stress level & hormonal changes more so than anything else.
i have to say that once i hit my twenties my skin has become awful! :(
what has by far shown the most improvement for me is washing my face w/ a 3% or 5% glycolic **** cleanser...it's an alpha hydroxy **** which exfoliates the skin w/o having to use abrasive scrubs (which can irritate acne prone skin). it's totally helped keep my skin a bit more clear & smooth by ridding it of all the dead skin cells that clog the pores which lead to breakouts.

this is the one i've been using for a couple months now...a bit expensive, but it works better than anything else i've used w/o drying out or irritating my skin:

http://www.sephora.c...&categoryId=B70

if you can afford it, basic facials w/ extractions (3-4 times a year) help too

#15 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

Hi Joe,
You can go to any ethiscian. I would go somewhere that the dermabrassion is listed as an hour procedure though and get the oxygen afterwards.My face is so grateful for at least a few minutes of clean air every month :). Also make sure they use brand name products, like dermologica etc, or holistic ones.
You're going to have to shave your sexy beard though. Sorry man. They can't do it with facial hair. They totally made me shave mine, jk.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Have you ever used a home kit? And yikes to having to shave my beard especially after you calling it sexy.

if you can afford it, basic facials w/ extractions (3-4 times a year) help too

No way would I ever request a Facial.

#16 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hi again :)! If you're not going to shave, I think the at home kit, like you said is the way to go. I use the microdelivery peel weekly in addition to the professional microderabrasions. I am a chick though, so maybe the at home will do the trick for you?
And use a toner (like the clinique claryfying lotion) every night.

#17 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hi again :)! If you're not going to shave, I think the at home kit, like you said is the way to go. I use the microdelivery peel weekly in addition to the professional microderabrasions. I am a chick though, so maybe the at home will do the trick for you?

I found a kit that should do the trick. To be honest I'm just looking to reduce the redness of old acne scars and top it off help with preventing new blemish's is a bonus. Thanks for the input.

#18 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

I found a kit that should do the trick. To be honest I'm just looking to reduce the redness of old acne scars and top it off help with preventing new blemish's is a bonus. Thanks for the input.

#19 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:56 AM

I wish location were the problem, at least there would be something I could do about it.

#20 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

I wish location were the problem, at least there would be something I could do about it.

The air quality in an area does effect your skin and your over all health. It's a proven fact.

So the microderabrasion kit arrived and I tried it last night for the first time. After one use I can say my skin felt soft and very clean. Cleaner then any pad I have used. It said I have to use it 2 to 3 times a week for one to two months to get the full effect. I'll let everyone know the progress.

#21 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

So I've been using that home kit thing twice a week for a good month now. It's worked really well. I've noticed my pours are clearer basically making any breakout's non existent or nothing to even think about. Also old redness to acne has basically disappeared. I'm glad you suggested a microderabrasions kit. Thank you.

#22 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:29 AM

hey Joe! Glad it worked! I got a microdermabrasion and something similar to botox, but not as severe looking for 90 bucks on groupon (for both!). I think it's cruel I have to worry about BOTH laugh lines and acne.

#23 MCal

MCal
  • VibeTribe
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

try a bandana under your helmet

#24 green Life

green Life
  • VibeTribe
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

the water where i moved in CT is a lot drier than where Ive previously lived

#25 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

Since I moved into NYC I have acne issues. I never had it as bad as I do now :sad:

I was reading in consumer reports that face wash by Oxy was really good. Since I started using it my skin is clearing up again.

I think the amount of dirt and pollution in the city has contributed to my skin problems.