• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 makisupa

makisupa

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Hi everyone. I spearheaded the message board migration over the weekend. Our apologies for taking a couple extra days but we wanted to ensure the site was completely functional. It is! But, that being said, we're still going to need to go through some growing pains together.

If you find someone wrong, have a comment/suggestion, or want to see a feature implemented please post it in this forum. I'll do my best to respond daily.

Also, the VibeGuides are aware that the pinned topics in this forum might need an update to reflect the news features of this message board.

One quick tip: if you had images/emoticons in your signature you might need to re-write your sig in your settings. Even if it's exactly the same text.

#2 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

had an issue changing my avatar...jpg-jpeg's didnt seem to work right....but gifs were fine

will yall be adding other board themes...kinda missing the black :)

#3 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,829 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:23 AM

I don't like the advertisement in the middle of the thread. Can't it go in the top or the margin?

#4 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

If you find someone wrong, have a comment/suggestion, or want to see a feature implemented please post it in this forum. I'll do my best to respond daily.

You'll be responding a lot because there are quite a few people who are wrong here every day.

#5 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,320 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

smilies seem to be altered aspect ratio or something (narrower?)... some not identifiable = small issue from big job
(actually avatar pics widened. I know I'm adding pounds, but my turtle?...never!)
Thanks for all the work!

#6 makisupa

makisupa

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

I don't like the advertisement in the middle of the thread. Can't it go in the top or the margin?

Not at this time, no, as Vibes needs the increased ad inventory. That being said, would people be interested in a VibeTribe membership? This is just an idea but other message boards offer monthly/annual/lifetime fees that give users increased features and zero ads. Just a thought right now.

#7 makisupa

makisupa

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

You'll be responding a lot because there are quite a few people who are wrong here every day.

Hilarious.

Not at this time, no, as Vibes needs the increased ad inventory. That being said, would people be interested in a VibeTribe membership? This is just an idea but other message boards offer monthly/annual/lifetime fees that give users increased features and zero ads. Just a thought right now.

If there was a size difference in avatars from the old boards to the new boards you might try re-linking or uploading your image to see what results. If your image is smaller than the current size (which I believe is 100x100) then it might get stretched to fit.

#8 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,398 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

The ads are stretching the mobile skin.

#9 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,398 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

How in the hell do you reach back and get your old topics? There's no way to search the board it seems.

#10 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

On an IPhone and tried both mobile and full site skins regardless have no smiles except the ones I know code for ;)

#11 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

JH - i have seen several requests for more posts per page - can we do a global increase to 50?

#12 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,597 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

Not a fan of the ability to link threads to FB.

#13 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

***bug***

when you click on "go to first unread post" (in a thread) it takes you to the last post and not the last one you read

#14 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

^
That too

#15 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,398 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

Please delete the "converted" section under profiles. It's redundant and uneditable.

#16 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,398 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:06 AM

Can we also increase the amount of threads per page?

#17 Eco

Eco
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationFoxboro MA

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

That being said, would people be interested in a VibeTribe membership? This is just an idea but other message boards offer monthly/annual/lifetime fees that give users increased features and zero ads. Just a thought right now.

I can't speak for people in the plural since as of now I'm just one person....that might change at times....but for now I'm one person that will not pay for a membership. Membership(paid) based forums are reserved for pron type of sites and for elite forums and not as as insult but you are miles away from either of the two as of now. Just as a random hint.....spend a little time over at theadminzone-dot-com and ask some questions or research a little on the topic.

Don't take my feedback the wrong way please, some people walk into the shallow end not knowing how to swim and some do the same in the deep end.

#18 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

How can I change my phone to the board format?

I changed it to mobile and now I seem to be stuck...any insight on this?

#19 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

Java... under change themes... Ip.board mobile. Its on bottom of page

#20 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Is there anything that can be done so the theme is responsive to the device, instead of the user login?

(I thought I saw a claim of responsiveness on the IP.Board website)

I can see it being a pain to change every time I switch from my dev system to my Android phone

#21 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Java... under change themes... Ip.board mobile. Its on bottom of page

edit to add: thanks...I'm a li'l slow technologically ...and it's prolly me but...

The only thing on the bottom of the page now is English...I had the theme option before I switched to mobile.

#22 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:33 AM

Would unclicking "enable data for mobile" on my phone get me the theme back on the bottom of the page?

#23 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

***bug***

when you click on "go to first unread post" (in a thread) it takes you to the last post and not the last one you read

I'm thinking this is because everything was migrate to a new board so all tags on where you've visited aren't set. Try going to a few threads, then going back later...i bet then it'll work.

#24 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

How in the hell do you reach back and get your old topics? There's no way to search the board it seems.

THIS! The only way I see to look at just threads I started, is to go into "My Profile" and then click on "My Posts" on the left...but this only shows the last 4-5 posts, not the entire history of posts I've started the way "My Posts" worked on the last board.

#25 makisupa

makisupa

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

The ads are stretching the mobile skin.

What device are you using? I tested the index page and topic pages on a iPhone 4S and, yes, the ads extend longer than the normal width but the iPhone compensates for this by centering the page and board runs smoothly. Tests on a iPad show no issues at all. Can you post a screen-grab?

On an IPhone and tried both mobile and full site skins regardless have no smiles except the ones I know code for 

It is correct: using our message board's mobile theme you will not see emoticons in the posting or reply areas. My guess is that the software designers wanted to implement a less-graphic and more streamlined experience in the mobile environment. They should appear when using the full-site theme on a mobile device however they're not. It must have something to do with how our the rich text editor appears (either via Java or HTML5). I'll need to a submit a support ticket to Invision about this.

Can we also increase the amount of threads per page?

JH - i have seen several requests for more posts per page - can we do a global increase to 50?

No problem. Revised.

Not a fan of the ability to link threads to FB.

Technically, this feature has always existed as anyone can cut-and-paste the URL of a thread and post it on Facebook. Now the process is streamlined and we have more control over how that information is shared/presented.

***bug***

Indeed. I did some research and apparently it's a case-by-case bug report as the feature does work one some sites and not on others. I will submit a ticket and ask they fix this but in the meantime you can use two other available options to view "first unread posts."

First you can click on the blue dot (sometimes a star) to the left of topic title here:

Attached File  Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 9.11.24 AM.png   28.6KB   1 downloads

You can click on the arrow in the picture below. To see the arrow, rollover the topic title.

Attached File  Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 9.13.29 AM.png   28.76KB   1 downloads

After clicking on the arrow you will be presented with the first and last post as well as options beneath them. One of which 'View latest unread post.'

Attached File  Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 9.14.20 AM.png   64.34KB   1 downloads

Please delete the "converted" section under profiles. It's redundant and uneditable.

The tables in the 'Converted' section came from the old message board as we brought everything over. I agree that they might not have much purposed here but they are indeed editable. If you visit my profile (http://bit.ly/GCOCOJ) you'll see I was able to update and save those inputs. One option might be to retain those tables and simply change the header name to something that suits them. Or we can remove them all together. What do others think?

Is there anything that can be done so the theme is responsive to the device, instead of the user login?

(I thought I saw a claim of responsiveness on the IP.Board website)

I can see it being a pain to change every time I switch from my dev system to my Android phone

Are you asking if the mobile theme can be linked to one mobile device but not to another mobile device? Or, are you asking if the you can have the desktop version on your desktop and the mobile version on your phone? Right now, I'm running the desktop theme on my Mac G5 and the mobile theme on my iPhone simultaneously. I also have an iPad in the mix that switches back it forth so my guess is that the theme is linked to the device's cache. Give me some more details and I'll try to help.

Would unclicking "enable data for mobile" on my phone get me the theme back on the bottom of the page?

Hey there. I had an instance last night where the option to switch back to the full version theme disappeared. Delete your mobile browsers cache, cookies, history, etc and then visit http://www.gathering...ibes.com/forum/ If you get the mobile site, then the option to switch should re-appear on the bottom of page. If you get the full site, you'll have the option to switch to mobile on the bottom. Wish I had a better explanation for but that's the Interwebs for ya.

#26 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

On the old board we used to be able to put our mouse over a topic thread and read the first few lines W/out having to click on it, that feature is no longer available.

#27 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

What is the difference between a thread that had a black dot to its left vs a thread that has a black star to its left?

I'm guessing the star means it's a thread I posted in, but I'm looking for some confirmation on this please :)

#28 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Are you asking if the mobile theme can be linked to one mobile device but not to another mobile device? Or, are you asking if the you can have the desktop version on your desktop and the mobile version on your phone? Right now, I'm running the desktop theme on my Mac G5 and the mobile theme on my iPhone simultaneously. I also have an iPad in the mix that switches back it forth so my guess is that the theme is linked to the device's cache. Give me some more details and I'll try to help.

I'm on a Win 7 machine on FF3.6.28 and a Galaxy Nexus 4G Android phone.

I'm logged in to both simultaneously.

When I change to IP.Board mobile theme on the phone, and refresh/go to new page on the laptop ... the laptop is in IP.Board mobile. When I switch the laptop to IP.Board theme (which I had to do to quote) the phone will then be in IP.Board

I'll check in Chrome in case it's some odd if you have HTML5 then cache it, otherwise look at the current state in the dB..... but that sounds unlikely. Then again you're getting it to work.

#29 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I just checked in Chrome 17.something (I'm on it now). Same thing

#30 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,883 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

Is it true you can't edit a post in the mobile theme?

#31 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,532 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

yes, please

On the old board we used to be able to put our mouse over a topic thread and read the first few lines W/out having to click on it, that feature is no longer available.

again
yes, please

BIG request that i KNOW everyone will agree on
when your cursor hovers on a username in the forum, there is a line in the bubble that shows up that tells folks what that person is currently doing
that is very invasive and TMI and if it could go away, that would be awesome
no, really
its kinda creepy :undecided:

having a way to make it less white would be really great too

ok, back to poking around :V:

#32 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,532 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

ok, by FAR my biggest annoyance is that i have to scroll left and right infreakingcessantly
:plain:
its really becoming tiresome
is there a way i can shrink it to fit my screen?

#33 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 251 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Just curious what the required post count is to be able to change my member title or edit my profile. I always had my post count reset by a VG just before I hit 1k so I'll make sure in the future to not have it reset lower then this magic number.

Agreed. I liked that option, but I've found using the arrow in the darkish circle (desktop only) that appears to the right of the thread title works alright too. It shows the oirignal post, first unread (by me) post and the last post in a drop down preview. Links to first unread and last post are there too for direct access.

Posted Image

Not the same by any means but I just figure it's a new board, new things to get used to.

#34 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

when your cursor hovers on a username in the forum, there is a line in the bubble that shows up that tells folks what that person is currently doing
no, really

WOW I agree!

#35 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,532 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

OK, here is another HUGE pita

when you are PMing with someone,
if they leave the PM page to do something while they wait for you to reply,
the conversation is essentially 'closed' as when i finally get the PM,
it says 'you cannot reply - the sender has left the conversation'
in order to reply you have to start a new "conversation" requiring a cut and paste of the old one, etc
its really annoying
is there a way to fix that?

wtf?!?!? :dunno:

#36 makisupa

makisupa

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Correct. That's not a feature that comes packaged with this software. Instead, IP.Board uses the arrow I spoke about in my response above. It's an extra click but it provides more information compare the vBulletin. Hunting down a mod to activate this function is something we can look into.

What is the difference between a thread that had a black dot to its left vs a thread that has a black star to its left?
I'm guessing the star means it's a thread I posted in, but I'm looking for some confirmation on this please 

Yes. A star indicates you've posted in that thread while a circle denotes your apathy :)

I'm on a Win 7 machine on FF3.6.28 and a Galaxy Nexus 4G Android phone.
I'm logged in to both simultaneously.
When I change to IP.Board mobile theme on the phone, and refresh/go to new page on the laptop ... the laptop is in IP.Board mobile. When I switch the laptop to IP.Board theme (which I had to do to quote) the phone will then be in IP.Board
I'll check in Chrome in case it's some odd if you have HTML5 then cache it, otherwise look at the current state in the dB..... but that sounds unlikely. Then again you're getting it to work.

I just checked in Chrome 17.something (I'm on it now). Same thing

I can't simulate your experience but I can submit a ticket to support and see what they come back with.

Is it true you can't edit a post in the mobile theme?

Appears that's the case. You would need to be using the desktop theme on your mobile device in order to execute that task. Like the rollover mod noted above, I can add this to the list of items to mod/add to board. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience.

#37 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thnx mak for my inquiry I will check that out...just remember this...I won dumbest boardie...so I'll be back!

#38 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

um every single one of my deleted IM's were moved over as "conversations" dating back to 2009.

#39 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

thank you
makisupa

#40 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,550 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

yes, please

again
yes, please

no, really

ok, back to poking around :v:

^^This^^

Being a professional stalker I believe this takes a lot of the "thrill of the hunt" away

:moose:

#41 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,999 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

MakGenius...thanks my issue resolved :thumbsup:

#42 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

um every single one of my deleted IM's were moved over as "conversations" dating back to 2009.

Which leads to my next question.

WHY would Terrapin save every DELETED message dating back to 2009?

#43 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

no, really

ok, back to poking around :v:

This and the linking to FB, twitter, reddit, digg, etc. issues. I think if you posted a poll on privacy vs. functionality, most people who frequent here would choose privacy every time. Most of us are on FB, but we kinda like the Vibes board as a more private playground that is kept within our own little community - not thrown out there for the whole world to see on FB. Likewise, it's creepy to see who is veiwing each thread at any given time. I don't see the need for it, but who knows. On stuff that involves privacy, it might be best to put together a poll at some point in the future and let the people speak to the issue.

Thanks Vibe Tech Crew! : )

#44 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,829 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the social media sharing functions a little unsettling. I understand this is a marketing tool, but I'd prefer that my fool comments not be shared outside this realm.

#45 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

Yeah, personally I think that any of the social media sharing stuff should be direct marketing messages from the home office directly to those social media sites. If you let anyone broadcast all the stuff that is posted here to those sites, I'm not sure you're going to end up with the public image that you'd like to see out there. And there's that privacy thing... :undecided: Vibes has a marketing team - they should be the ones posting Vibes stuff to FB - not drunken boardies posting in L&S at 3 AM :wink:

#46 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 251 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

An option to delete redundant posts ( like mine here) would be alright. ;)

#47 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

The question is not whether someone wants to block FB stuff, the question is whether or not the Vibes management wants to let someone on here post the entire content of a forum thread to FB. As it stands now, it appears the new board allows any user to do just that. It probably just posts the link to the thread, but that's enough of an invasion for many.

#48 Esau

Esau
  • VibeTribe
  • 251 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

Sorry Sean - If you were replying to me and I made my edit. I realized afterwards what was going on and what I was suggesting wasn't right for the job.

I use the extension to block the FB social plugin you seen on many news websites. (for example bottom of article). Different from what folks here are talking about. My mistake.

#49 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,968 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

I agree that the hover name stalk your face feature should be disabled.

--If the powers that be don't want to ditch the sharing option, can we opt out of our posts being shared, individually (is there a setting?). If not, yeah, I agree that the two-click insta-share feature renders the board perceived as far more at risk of circles overlap snafus, ergo, less appealing. I know if it stays, I'll want to change my name and avatar to something impersonal, which is crap for maintaining the vibe that we're a community of real people, which we are.

--Is there a way to turn off instashare in most forums and just leave it in the fest-related ones (concert field, vibes 2012, rides, other shows)? Would that be a good marketing-friendly compromise? I'd turn it off in family and most of the other subforums.

--Thanks so much. :)

#50 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,968 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Oh! Also, is there a way to edit and delete individual posts in mobile?

And to delete individual posts when posting from a real computer?

And can you please put a navigation jump thing on the bottom of the page to get you back to the forum in which the thread one is reading is posted's front page?

Thank you. :)