Photo
- - - - -

Apparently 9/11 isn't a popular day to get married...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

We've been calling a few places to check out rates and availability, and most places in September are booked, but 9/11 seems to be wide open. I guess that day isn't that bad of a day to get married on. Have something good happen on it. We shall see. We're going to the Cape in the next 2-3 weeks to check places out and eat some food. Yay! :crazy:

#2 Mr_Pat

Mr_Pat

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

Kind of like I would be willing to guess that getting married in Hiroshima japan on August 6 or Nagasaki on August 9 are usually open :lol:

#3 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

It's my birthday :undecided:

the Onion summed it up nicely: http://www.theonion....tent/node/27728 :lol:

Second Birthday In A Row Ruined By Terrorism
September 11, 2002 | Issue 38•33
Article Tools

HOBOKEN, NJ—In what threatens to be an annual ritual, Rob Bachman, born Sept. 11, 1973, braced himself Tuesday for yet another birthday ruined by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The birthday boy tries in vain to enjoy his special day.

"My birthday's gonna suck for the rest of my life," Bachman said on the eve of his 29th birthday. "Every year, I'm going to want to go out and have fun, but it's always going to be inappropriate in light of the meaning of this most tragic of days."

Added Bachman: "Man, there's nothing quite like hitting the bars on the anniversary of the worst act of terrorism ever perpetrated on U.S. soil."

Though Bachman will try to enjoy his "special day" as best he can, he said he is not looking forward to the muted, somber acknowledgements he will receive from others.

"Last week, there was a lunchtime office party for [coworker] Matt [Quigle], complete with cake and decorations, because, of course, nobody cringes when you say your birthday is Sept. 5," Bachman said. "Already this week, Dina the receptionist, who lost a cousin in the attacks, looks like she's going to cry at any second. If they do recognize my birthday at all, I'm sure it'll be in some tasteful, appropriate way, without music or streamers or anything like that."

"If I try to have a good time, I look like this shallow, selfish asshole who's oblivious to what's going on in the world," Bachman continued. "Still, Sept. 11 is the only birthday I have, and it'd be nice if I were allowed to have fun."

As of press time, Bachman's efforts to gather friends and coworkers for the evening have been unsuccessful. Most of his e-mails and voicemail messages have gone unreturned, while those friends who have responded have politely declined, offering subdued birthday wishes.

"When I invited my friends a few weeks before, I distinctly avoided mentioning the date and just said people were getting together for my birthday on Wednesday," Bachman said. "Of course, once people realized what day it was, they all bowed out. Now that I think of it, I probably would've done the same thing."

If he is unable to assemble a group of friends, Bachman said he may just spend the evening at home alone.

"Maybe I'll just chill out and watch a movie," Bachman said. "But I know that as soon as I turn on the TV, I'm going to get hit with one of the wall-to-wall specials on the attacks, and it's going to make watching Shallow Hal or some other bullshit puff movie seem way too depressing."

Though Bachman's friends are hesitant to engage in any sort of revelry on Sept. 11, they sympathize with his plight.

"I really feel bad for him," said Danielle Eckstrom, Bachman's longtime friend. "Some of his friends don't want to go out because they're afraid of some big follow-up attack. The rest just want to be alone that night. I was going to take it on myself to go out and make sure he has a good time, but I don't particularly want to go out, either."

Given the historical magnitude of the Sept. 11 attacks, Bachman said he doesn't hold out much hope for future birthdays, either.

"It's probably going to be at least 10 years before I can get back to celebrating like a normal person." Bachman said. "Then again, that 10th anniversary of the attacks should be a pretty big deal, too. Fuck."

#4 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I'm not really sure I want that to be my wedding anniversary. So far, only 1 out of the few places we have called said that's the only available. We're currently waiting for call backs for availability of the others. :)

#5 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

It's my birthday :undecided:

the Onion summed it up nicely: http://www.theonion....tent/node/27728 :lol:

it was your birthday first. (resisting the old man joke :funny1: )

if folks won't let you celebrate your birthday without making you feel bad f'em. they're assholes.

Edited by reveur, 27 January 2010 - 12:50 AM.
WAY wrong smilie!

#6 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

We closed on the condo on September 11th :) It's your day :heart: Whatever day you guys get married, will be special no matter what :heart:

#7 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

It's Sums anniversary!! :)

#8 Drop_o_Rain

Drop_o_Rain

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

My annulment was finalized on Sept. 11....
it was fitting to me.
i felt like i reclaimed that day.

i say make it your own Georgi! dont them THEM claim something from us/you.
use that day to do whatever you want to do.

#9 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:09 AM

We got a call back from the place we really wanted to hear from. We are probably going to go spend the weekend at the Cape either next weekend or the weekend after so we can go have a sample of the food as well as make other arrangements. So excited! :)

#10 mamapajama

mamapajama
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:12 AM

Go for it.

I remember Sums said that 9/11 is her anniversary.

My anniversary is on Memorial Day.

editting: Hoopster beat me ;)

#11 Condormania

Condormania
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,388 posts
  • LocationWest Haven

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

I have a friend who's son was born on September 11, 2001. Poor kid.

#12 mountain mama

mountain mama
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

it was my only sisters' birthday - RIP Karyl :heart:

#13 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

So, it's settled. We're going this weekend to the Cape. Rich will pick me up from work on Friday night, and we'll go to the house!!! Saturday we are making plans to go eat at the restaurant we want the "reception" at!!! :ura1: Yay yay YAY!!! :bliss: :heart:

#14 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

Lily was born Sept 10

#15 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

Yes but you didn't pick that. :lol:

How is my friend Lily? Did you ever see that cute pic from NYE? :heart:

#16 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

Yes we did pick that well sort of :lol:

Lily is great. She was awake past 2 last night chewing on the bottle but not drinking from it...it was NYE all over again :lol: I have to remember when I'm at home to look at your pictures.

#17 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

There is a wedding going on on Saturday, so we get to see what the place looks like and the whole set up! :)

I hope we like the food. :lol:

#18 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

Jason is marrying a boardie couple on 9/11/10. i like the idea of taking back the day, not allowing a date on a calendar to have so much power that it sucks all the good out of everything else that could happen on the day. you can still be observant of the day's significance without making it off-limits to happy moments, i think.

good luck, Georgi :)

#19 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

Amazing, life altering things happen because of disasters. Down the road, because of 911, our childrens lives might be amazingly different (in a good way) because of the events on that day.

I think it's a good day. LIke thug said, TAKE IT BACK!

#20 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

We are officially getting married on September 25th at the Cape! :bliss: :heart:

#21 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

A boardie couple you say? Who who who! :crazy:

(Good thing we didn't pick that day. :funny1: )