• VibeTribe
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:10 AM

i know myself and i cant do AA meetings,
i need to stop drinking but all the god
and ritual shit bugs me out!!!!

whart rats have meetings right?
im new to this and gotta get right
if i wanna save my self and relationship..

i dont believe in that no relationships crap!!!
i NEED my woman around to keep my mind off it!!:bang:

http://www.facebook....e&id=1017442418

#2 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,790 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:37 AM

ask tim mcguire in nj.

#3 George

George
  • VibeTribe
  • 375 posts
  • LocationGlendora,NJ

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:23 AM

Hey I'm trying to get a meeting started in Cherry Hill at the Unitarian Church. Just trying to work out the schedule, maybe soon? Please email me, geckenroth@gmail.com

#4 child_of_boundless_seas

child_of_boundless_seas
  • VibeTribe
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hey Im not in NJ, but I hear you. Just started meetings myself and I was pretty put off by the god stuff, but you just gotta find a decent meeting. Most people at the place I go are not too literal about the god stuff. They know I am more of a buddhist, if anything, and they are totally cool with that. You just have to have a higher power that makes you want to get better, hell it could be music! But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't tell anybody what to do in this situation, that's just my experience so far. I would love it if there were a wharf rat meeting up my way (western MA).

#5 child_of_boundless_seas

child_of_boundless_seas
  • VibeTribe
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

oh and my girl is the reason I could do any of this, and nobody has objected to that yet. If anybody does, don't listen to them.

#6 dzdirewolf

dzdirewolf
  • VibeTribe
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

I go to meetings in central ma. You just need to find the right one. I have met alot of cool people in AA. If your relationship helps you to stay sober then good for you. Do whatever it takes. My girl is in the program and it's really hard for two people to stay sober together. Not only are you fighting your own battles you fight theirs as well.

#7 gbumps

gbumps
  • VibeTribe
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

The God stuff is not that important, especially early on.... do you have a sponsor?
All AA asks me to be is open minded to the possibility that maybe I don't know everything and that some power greater than me can help keep me from the first drink or drug. Things were bad enough for me to become willing to believe that and as a result I have not had a drink in over 27 months.

When I walked into AA, I became willing to believe that the group in front of me collectively knew more about recovery from alcoholism than I did (they were all sober and I was drunk)..therefore, when it came to drinking, they were a power greater than me.

good luck my friend!

#8 George

George
  • VibeTribe
  • 375 posts
  • LocationGlendora,NJ

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

A Wharf Rat meeting in Philly/SJ is one step closer to happening. I spoke to pres. of a new clubhouse opening in Runnemede NJ today. Clubhouse is opening in a couple weeks depending on CO from building inspector. As soon as I get conformation I will be posting info here and on Facebook WR group.

#9 SpeedwayBoogie

SpeedwayBoogie
  • VibeTribe
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:04 AM

No relationships in the first year is a suggestion. Most of the suggestions are just suggestions, although good ones. It doesn't mean that you end the relationship your'e in. It means it would be a good idea to not start a new one. I didn't follow that one, and I'm ok. I didn't drink over it. As for the ritual, there really isn't any. Each meeting does it a little different. I don't believe in GOD, but I do have a higher power. Kinda stuart smalley stuff, but it works. I wouldn't be alive if it didn't.
Good luck with that meeting, George. I'm already planning to see you this summer.