Peticure - Product review of our experience

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wookie luvvah

wookie luvvah
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

I'm sure that you've all seen the commercials for this device (it's like a dremmel for filing your pets nails with a cover).

We bought one. One of our dogs will allow me to trim his nails and the other one has to go to the vets to be knocked out before anyone can trim his nails.

Well - we gave it a shot and I will say that I do not believe that it's worth the money. If you have a pet that doesn't like getting their nails trimmed they are not going to like it any more with this device. If you have one that doesn't like it, this device doesn't seem to make a big difference.

The main issue I have with it is it seems as though you have to grasp the paw and nail harder and it prolongs the experience for the pet.

Maybe you might have different luck, but I would recommend more walks on the sidewalk before I would recommend spending money on this device.

If you are interested in trying it and already own a dremmel, there are instructions you can find on line re: how to use the dremmel.

#2 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

That's what I thought, thanks.

When I do my dogs nails it takes a couple of days, a few nails here and a few nails there. I think she would freak out if I busted out the peticure.

#3 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thanx. I was wondering that when I first saw the product in the store. I don't think that EITHER of my kittehs would tolerate it.

#4 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

We were looking at this at Bed Bath and Beyond this past weekend. I was tempted to buy it for my basset, Lily. She HATES going in the car to get her toenails done. But, whenever we've tried to trim them ourself, she gets snappy with us and impatient. I'm sure this device would be no different. It's a good idea, but I don't see it working too well. I don't think Frasier and Tramp would sit still long enough for us to use it on them, either, which stinks. Guess we'll just have to go for more walks and wear down all their nails! :)

#5 wookie luvvah

wookie luvvah
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

I will admit, just when I had given up I tried it again last night. (Been working on it for a few weeks now to get them used to the noise and such). I was able to get a couple of paws on the dog who doesn't mind trimming normally. Once we got into the groove, he started to settle down and I will admit the nails are nice and rounded.

I spent more time with the scaredy dog too - he's still working on getting use to me holding his paw while I lay the pedicure on his paw. He did better too (although at this rate - it'll take another year before I'll gt to try it on one of his nails).

We're trying to get more pavement time in with the winter and all - I think for the scaredy dog that will be our best approach.

#6 donna4128

donna4128
  • VibeTribe
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

sorry to contradict....my liza loves it. we had to bring her in to get her nails clipped, she goes belly up to the pedipaw.....she will lay there as long as i need her too like shes getting a massage. she has no jagged edges or splintering. i wish my own nails were in such good shape. its worth a try, we paid 15.00 to get her nails cut and 19 for the pedipaw....i dont think we will ever need to cut them the regular way again. we introduced it by just turning it on and leaving it on the floor and a few treats. once she sniffed in and checked it out she was fine

#7 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

this has nothing to do with the peticure 'cause i trim all my kitties nails. but Cassady's nails got reallllly long one time, i don't know why i hadn't trimmed them in so long, i usually do it every week or so, but she just had these way too long nails with that curl to them. she saw me pull out the little nail clippers and got soooooo excited it took her a good 5 minutes to settle down long enough for me to actually CUT them and then, she stuck each whole leg right out to me and extended her own nails. :lol: :lol: apparently she really didn't like them that long either!! :) :heart:

#8 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

this has nothing to do with the peticure 'cause i trim all my kitties nails. but Cassady's nails got reallllly long one time, i don't know why i hadn't trimmed them in so long, i usually do it every week or so, but she just had these way too long nails with that curl to them. she saw me pull out the little nail clippers and got soooooo excited it took her a good 5 minutes to settle down long enough for me to actually CUT them and then, she stuck each whole leg right out to me and extended her own nails. :lol: :lol: apparently she really didn't like them that long either!! :) :heart:

:lol: :lol:

#9 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

I think I still do want to give this a try. I'll just return it if it doesn't work. :thumbup:

#10 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

i've been cutting my old dog's nails since i got her 12 years ago, no issue. the new dog has no issue with getting her nails cut either. both dogs would be fine with pedipaws, i might have to use treats to get the new dog to be ok with the noise.

i can cut old old cat's nails, he'll let me do pretty much anything to him. though i only do it if he scratches the furniture instead of the cat post. the younger cat will absolutely bite me if i try to cut her nails - of course she will growl first to let me know the bite is coming. but i don't care to cut her nails, she only scratches the cat post and is otherwise a sweetheart. we have an understanding, i won't cut her nails and she won't use them innappropriately :lol:

so, i'm not getting a pedipaws - but i did read a review of someone who had a smaller dog whose nail got caught in the pedipaws and got ripped off, needing immediate vet care to stop the bleeding and sew it up.

#11 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

Um ok, I don't think I want to try it now (again). :lol:

When we had our little kitty, Sophie, back in November, she was just a baby. 1 month old. We were going to start trimming her nails so she would be used to it. She passed away, though. My poor little stinker. :heart:

My point I'm getting at is we got another cat, and his nails are SHARP! We want to trim them, but he's fiesty as shit and won't let us, I'm sure. I don't think our other cat, Henrietta, would let us do hers either.

How do those of you that trim cat's nails do it?

#12 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,715 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

started 'em YOUNG. that's all i can say, i've never had to cut an older cat's claws who wasn't used to having it done

Tiger and Cass will sit up right in my lap for theirs, Zevon i just kind of lean over/on to get the front. his back ones take a little longer to do

Tigger, when i had her, would lay on her back in my lap

#13 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

So we're pretty much screwed then? :lol:

Henri is about 9 years old, and Oreo is about 9 months. :)

#14 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

To trim my cats' nails, I get them in a nice, purry mood, then use a human toe nail clipper to cut off the curvy part from the side. when you press down on the big paw pad, it's real easy to get 'em to extend their nails. If they're not in the mood, I'll do one paw at a time, and come back to it later. I'll try to take a picture and post it later on. I don't think it would be too late to start, if you get 'em all purry first, but your cats may vary.

#15 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

what do you mean, the cat on the cat litter box looks like me?
I let him play with the clipper, rub it, get his scent on it, etc.
Posted Image

This is usually a two-handed activity.
Posted Image

#16 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,732 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Can you come to our house and do this? :lol:

#17 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,096 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

will there be jay and jenny and sausageless bacon?