Photo
- - - - -

Whats a good price to pay for head gaskets?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pher

Pher
  • VibeTribe
  • 878 posts
  • LocationSaratoga Springs, NY

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

I need head gaskets, to big of a job for me wondering whats a good price a mechanic should charge for them? Or is there someone out there that can help me install them properly and professionally i'll pay you :smile:

#2 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

what kind of car/engine?

typically there is a problem othe rthan jsut the gasket such as a warped head that will need to be machined.

#3 Pher

Pher
  • VibeTribe
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

what kind of car/engine?

typically there is a problem othe rthan jsut the gasket such as a warped head that will need to be machined.

89 Westy and pretty sure its just the gaskets at least crossing my fingers, drips when cold but stops when engine heats up, just installed all new lines so i think when it over heated first time shriveled gaskets thats all, didn't get that hot :shades:

#4 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,992 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

2.1 litre gas?

if so, it is a non-interference engine, which is better for your wallet

#5 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

Pher,

You're not going to be happy to hear this news but... you will likely be needing new or refurbished heads for that engine, the failing gaskets are not the cause just a symptom.
It's a expensive job, a lot can go wrong causing the costs to skyrocket, and many times it will just make more to sense to swap out a whole rebuilt 2.1 engine.

#6 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Look up TLC motors in Hoags Corners (Renneselear county). If you decide to go the "pay someone" to do it. The young guy (Andy) who took over for Terry is top notch, and you and I have both been unhappy with Marc's in round lake a few times! this place is the bomb! (not to mention that it's a trip to be driving through the boonies and find a bunck of buses parked by the side of the road!) They could do the replace job or rebuild job , do it right and charge fittingly.

Good luck.

#7 mayfly

mayfly
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Pher, You're not going to be happy to hear this news but... you will likely be needing new or refurbished heads for that engine, the failing gaskets are not the cause just a symptom. It's a expensive job, a lot can go wrong causing the costs to skyrocket, and many times it will just make more to sense to swap out a whole rebuilt 2.1 engine.

Absolutely correct. The heads usually warp and cause the gaskets to leak... a time bomb ticking, will prolly leave you stranded when she finally does blow completely. I bought new heads for $1100 from Boston Bob back before he died and a shop will run you ~1K to install correctly. Then you should be good for a while though.

www.busdepot.com and / or www.van-again.com sell heads and gasket kits or a reputable shop will have access to them as well

good luck ! :bigsmile:

#8 Pher

Pher
  • VibeTribe
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

My heads we 're new so just needed the gaskets