VT Unofficial Results - Primary Election - March 6, 2012
Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:40 AM
Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:41 AM
approved a 1-percent local sales tax on meals, alcoholic beverages and rooms during Town Meeting, Tuesday.
The hotly contested article was approved via paper ballot after those on both sides of the issue pleaded their case.
Based on estimates, the town could recoup more than $215,000 annually with the sales tax in place.
Those opposed to the increased tax pointed out that many of the business are still suffering and that only 70 percent of the sales tax will be returned to the town, with the other 30 percent being kept by the state.
Other business said they’ve never had anyone say they weren’t going to buy something or stay somewhere because of tax.
Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:56 AM
Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:24 AM
Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:09 AM
As one of his last acts on the Dover Selectboard, Colby Dix,
who did not seek re-election, asked the 60 or so voters to approve the town’s capital paving fund of $600,000.
After hearing how bad the roads were following the historic flooding caused by Tropical Storm Irene and the amount of money needed to repair them, the residents responded by increasing the amount to $700,000.
When asked how much the $100,000 increase would be to taxpayers, Town Clerk Andy McClain said it would add one cent to the tax rate.
Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:11 PM
As of now, Public Citizen is reporting that 50 Vermont towns voted in favor of overturning the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling during Town Meeting Day on Tuesday. Unlike the U.S. Supreme Court, Town Meeting Day voters understood that corporations are not people. The resounding results will send a strong message that corporations and billionaires should not be allowed to buy candidates and elections with unlimited, undisclosed spending on political campaigns.
Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:59 PM
Today's News from Sen. Bernie Sanders:
-Dental Crisis: Sen. Bernie Sanders says the lack of affordable dental care for Americans is a crisis. He wants to hear Vermonters' stories at a town meeting he's organizing at Montpelier on Saturday, The Associated Press, Vermont Public Radio and Fox 44 reported. "In Vermont, we are making progress ... but much more needs to be done," he wrote in a column published by the Burlington Free Press.
-Made in America: A toy company in Middlebury, Vt., is making its debut at the Smithsonian museums in Washington, D.C. Maple Landmark Woodcraft always wanted to sell to the Smithsonian, but never had any luck until Sen. Sanders helped the shop get in contact with the museum, WCAX-TV reported.
-Town Meetings: Vermonters in 64 communities voiced support at town meetings for a constitutional amendment like one proposed by Sen. Bernie Sanders to limit campaign spending by corporations,MSNBC, The Associated Press, Rutland Herald, Times Argus, National Journal, International Business Times, In These Times, Democracy Now!, and Daily Kos reported.
-Gas Prices: The Commodity Futures Trading Commission has failed to impose caps on oil market speculators as the Wall Street reform law required. Sen. Sanders told Yahoo News the commission "needs to obey the law."
Read the full news here: http://www.sanders.s...8F-E40886384DBD