• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

I was given a gift certificate for 3 yoga classess. I've been interested in trying yoga for a while, but there are so many types I've been reading about. Obviously I would want to start with an intro class but I'm wondering if anybody, through personal experience, prefers 1 type over another.
Is it that some are more advanced? Would Hatha be the basics? Any input is much appreciated!! :wink:

#2 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,023 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

Start with a basic hatha class. Whatever studio you go to, ask who might be the best instructor with whom to begin. I have been to several basic classes and some are really not basic at all, really depends on the teacher. The receptionist should have a good sense of which class to direct you to.

let us know how it goes :smile:

#3 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks! The studio offers an intro & a beginners class. They recommended the intro first which I'm going next Tuesday. Super excited to try something new! Wish me luck!

#4 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

i just started yoga a few weeks ago and am enjoying it so far. have fun!

#5 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

So yesterday was my first class & I loved it. I felt GREAT after the class.....relaxed and rejuvenated! Today.....I'm thinking I may have pushed myself a little hard cause my shoulders & back are screaming!!
I assume this is normal for my first time :dunno:
I'm going back next week and will hopefully make this a weekly (if not more) practice.

#6 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

yes, it's normal. When we change the ways we use our body there is a certain adjustment period. It could also be because your instructor didn't properly dictate the way you should be moving in and out of postures (asanas). As a beginner we have to realize we're out of touch with our body and the way it moves... I went through this myself and lemme tell you it was a real eye opener when I realized how badly out of shape my body was.
I'm glad you loved your first class, yoga has changed my life for the better - just listen to your body because it WILL tell you what it needs.
as I say to myself when I'm in tune with my physical body ... Welcome Home!

#7 ShaNeeNee

ShaNeeNee
  • VibeTribe
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuffalo NY

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Spiffy! I spoke to her about how my back hurt and she remembered that I did a full Bow Pose which is probably why I had pain afterward. I pushed myself a little too hard. I've been gooing for 3 weeks now & I'm addicted! I feel so great both physically & mentally after the class. It's def going to be part of life now that I've found it :bouncey: