• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Armageddon 2040: Nasa identifies new asteroid threat which 'could hit Earth' in 30 years' time - and UN teams are working out how to divert it

Asteroid has 1 in 625 chance of hitting Earth
UN team debating options including nuclear weapons and 'steering' it away with a probe
Scientists will measure rock further in 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1nh30qtnQ

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Asteroid has 1 in 625 chance of hitting Earth

:panic:

UN team debating options including nuclear weapons and 'steering' it away with a probe

Posted Image

Scientists will measure rock further in 2013

Posted Image

:funny1:

#3 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

:lol:

#4 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

its like a game of solar Russian roulette. :panic:

#5 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,866 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

just call Bruce Willis. he's done this before:thumbsup: :clapping:

oh wait...HE DIED IN THAT MOVIE!!! :eek1:

. RUN!!!!

:panic: :panic: :panic:

#6 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

if bruce cant save us we're soo dun

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

its like a game of solar Russian roulette. :panic:

It's been that way for.....ever.

I think the scientists should run an anal probe train and do a flying JOTCOM on this one.

#8 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

It's been that way for.....ever.

in which the earth has lost a few times :lol:

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yep, and when the timing is spot on, she'll lose again.

I don't know if we can pull off a hollywood style thwart, but I'll be pretty old come 2030. Also, we may not even make that far. :lol:

#10 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

i think if they see it soon enough there are things we can do to move it off course...without using nukes

#11 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,866 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I guess a 1 in 625 chance of hitting the earth isn't anything to worry about...let's wait n see before we do anything:undecided:

we actually have something to "practice" on...we should be doing something now...it'll give us time to fix our fuck ups like when we push its trajectory to within a 1 in 2 chance of hitting us:funny1:

#12 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

well...they already got a direct hit on an asteroid with that probe they sent out a while back to study said assroid...forgot the name of it. but it shows they can get to one...and maneuver around it.

i actually heard a story of some woman suing nasa for that because it threw her astrology chart off er something....knocking the assroid off course a little

#13 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

ahhh

Deep Impact (spacecraft)
http://en.wikipedia....act_(spacecraft)

#14 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,866 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

well...they already got a direct hit on an asteroid with that probe they sent out a while back to study said assroid...forgot the name of it. but it shows they can get to one...and maneuver around it.

i actually heard a story of some woman suing nasa for that because it threw her astrology chart off er something....knocking the assroid off course a little

yeah I remember that...us landing on the asteriod...forgot its name as well

I'm going to sue the chick suing nasa...I needed the asteriod moved to maintain equilibrium to my karma...she's going to fuck everything up that...that...C-word! :joker:

#15 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

:lol:

Russian sues to stop NASA's comet blast

By Douglas Birch

The Baltimore Sun

Scientists prepare the Deep Impact space vehicles. During the July 4 weekend, the spacecraft will unleash the wine-barrel-sized impactor probe, at bottom, on a one-way trip to blast a crater in the comet Temple 1.

NASA: Deep Impact

MOSCOW — When NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft hurls a barrel-sized probe at the comet Tempel-1 millions of miles from Earth on July 4, Marina Bai of Moscow will take it very personally.

The 45-year-old mother of two is so upset about the scientific assault on the celestial body that she has taken the unusual step of suing the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in Moscow courts. Her lawsuit seeks to block the launch of the probe and to recover $311 million in "moral" damages.

Bai, a self-published author and spiritualist, said this week that she couldn't sleep after watching a television report about the Deep Impact mission, the work of a team of astronomers at the University of Maryland, when it was launched Jan. 12.

"Somewhere deep inside me, a voice told me the whole mission had to be stopped," she said in an interview. "I fear that it could have an impact on all humanity."

In court papers, Bai asserts that Deep Impact will "infringe upon my system of spiritual and life values, in particular on the values of every element of creation, upon the unacceptability of barbarically interfering with the natural life of the universe, and the violation of the natural balance of the universe."

Dolores Beasley, a spokeswoman for NASA, said it would be "inappropriate" to comment.

Steven P. Maran, a spokesman for the American Astronomical Society and author of Astronomy for Dummies, reacted to Bai's claims with humor.

"I get dizzy just thinking of this lawsuit," he wrote in an e-mail. "But I don't think the outcome is written in the stars."

Plans call for Deep Impact to launch a 770-pound copper projectile at the 2.5-mile-wide comet on July 4. The 23,000 mph impact is expected to generate a force equivalent to almost 5 tons of TNT and could blast a hole in the comet's icy surface the size of the Colosseum in Rome.

Cameras and sensors on board the spacecraft will record the event in an effort to help scientists determine the structure and chemical composition of Tempel 1. Comets are thought to be bits of ice, dust and rock left over from the formation of the universe about 4 billion years ago.

Scientists have dismissed fears that the collision might break up or divert the comet, comparing the impact to a mosquito striking a Boeing 747.

But Bai fears the bombardment could somehow disrupt mystical forces. More practically, she added, it might create an open season on celestial objects by the world's spacefaring nations.

"If the Americans can study comets with the help of bombs, why not the Chinese?" she asked. "Americans want to be ahead of everybody. And maybe that's good, but not in this case. It's a barbaric method, to study the universe with bombs."

Bai's attorney, Alexander V. Molokhov, said the damage claim was calculated under Russian law, which allows plaintiffs to recover an amount equal to the cost of the undertaking that allegedly does the harm.

David vs. Goliath lawsuits in which individuals demand huge sums from large institutions are relatively rare in Russia, where the court system is notoriously subject to financial and political pressure.

Molokhov said Bai's lawsuit breaks legal ground.

"Americans are used to such suits," he said. "But it is absolutely new to this country."

At first, Moscow's Presnensky District Court refused to hear the case. But Bai appealed to the Moscow city courts. In May, senior city judges ordered the Presnensky court to bring the case to trial. No date has been set.

Despite the Russian Space Agency's partnership with NASA, a small Kremlin-controlled newspaper, The Russian Weekly, has written an extensive, sympathetic article about Bai's lawsuit. "How Can You Stand By When Your Star Is Threatened?" the paper asked.

NASA has refused even to acknowledge the case, Molokhov said.

"They look at us as a Third World country, so why react?" he said. "From my point of view, the longer they keep silent, the stronger is our case. They have to prove that their project is safe."

Deep Impact borrowed its name from a 1998 science-fiction movie about a comet on a collision course with Earth. In the movie, astronauts blow up the comet and save the planet.

Bai said she is more interested in blocking the planned impact on Tempel-1 than collecting damages. If she wins the case, she said, her nonprofit Transformations fund will spend the award on environmental and social programs.

"Unlike the oligarchs, I'm not going to buy a soccer team with the money," she said.

Copyright

#16 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

the wonders of entitlement never cease to amaze:lol:

#17 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

apparently the case was dismissed...but shes appealing:rolleyes:

#18 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,866 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

apparently the case was dismissed...but shes appealing:rolleyes:

is she wins she'll be even more appealing :eek1:

sorry...that was really bad...but I'm on a roll so I'll just be not funny all day.....HOOORRAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!:ura1:

#19 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,506 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

im not funny everyday...ur not alone:lol::gop:

#20 PieDoh

PieDoh
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:41 AM

Posted ImageArmageddon outta here.....

#21 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Don't worry, estimates were revised in March... to 1:500 :panic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_AG5

100 megaton force impact? pfft

#22 Smiles

Smiles
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

kaboom

#23 deadandgrateful

deadandgrateful
  • VibeTribe
  • 834 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

and i will have lived to the age of 52... i got 28 years to wreak some havoc.