• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,812 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

What a difficult, too many keystroke, uncut and paste as friendly as it could be program. :bang:

#2 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,823 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

#3 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,033 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Lotus is a much better band than Excel, no question!!

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Longer ago than I'd care to think, a place I worked used Lotus. Then I went to a place that used Excel. That sucked.

#5 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,823 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Posted Image

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,812 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Longer ago than I'd care to think, a place I worked used Lotus. Then I went to a place that used Excel. That sucked.

Yep, it is the suck.

#7 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

Once upon a time, when computers were young, we worked in a world called DOS. Within that world, Lotus was the king of the spreadsheet.

But there was a problem with DOS. For you see, DOS was a world that could only run one program at a time. Then along came Microsoft with its Windows application. And in Windows, you could "multi task" and have both your spreadsheet and word processor programs available to you at the same time. And the people were happy because they liked being able to access more than one program at a time.

However there was one small problem with Windows. It didn't really like DOS based applications. And while you could run a DOS based app from within Windows, it didn't do it easily. The good people at Microsoft though had a solution for this. They called it Excel. This was a spreadsheet that ran in Windows. It wasn't as good as what they had in the past, but it worked better in their new multi tasking world.

Sadly, Lotus and it's spreadsheet, which once was king, was pushed aside for the Windows world and its Excel.

#8 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,688 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

No happy ending here. :sad:

#9 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,812 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

No happy ending here. :sad:

Word Perfect got rode hard and put away wet too. :sad:

#10 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,688 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Word Perfect got rode hard and put away wet too. :sad:

Fucking posse. :joker:

#11 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Once upon a time, when computers were young, we worked in a world called DOS. Within that world, Lotus was the king of the spreadsheet.

But there was a problem with DOS. For you see, DOS was a world that could only run one program at a time. Then along came Microsoft with its Windows application. And in Windows, you could "multi task" and have both your spreadsheet and word processor programs available to you at the same time. And the people were happy because they liked being able to access more than one program at a time.

However there was one small problem with Windows. It didn't really like DOS based applications. And while you could run a DOS based app from within Windows, it didn't do it easily. The good people at Microsoft though had a solution for this. They called it Excel. This was a spreadsheet that ran in Windows. It wasn't as good as what they had in the past, but it worked better in their new multi tasking world.

Sadly, Lotus and it's spreadsheet, which once was king, was pushed aside for the Windows world and its Excel.

Don't forget about VisiCalc!

#12 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm not a fan of "The Ribbon" in the new MS Office products, but I've heard very good things about Excel 2010.

#13 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm not a fan of "The Ribbon" in the new MS Office products, but I've heard very good things about Excel 2010.

The ribbon is teh suck. And so is Excel 2010 (IMHO)

I miss Lotus. :sad:

#14 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,588 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

The ribbon is teh suck. And so is Excel 2010 (IMHO)

I miss Lotus. :sad:

I hate the Ribbon in MS-Access. Hate it.

But I have some CPA friends say that the new Excel has features they can't live without now.

#15 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,812 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

Living in the land of Excel 2003 or 2007 thanks to our suck team of outside computer tech people. :plain:

#16 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Fucking posse. :joker:

:dance:

#17 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,318 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

I hate the Ribbon in MS-Access. Hate it.

But I have some CPA friends say that the new Excel has features they can't live without now.

To be fair, I don't so as much spreadsheet work as I used to, so I may not be a fair judge of Excel 2010. I learned spreadsheets on Lotus and wish it were still an option because I could never get accustomed to Excel. It always left me wanting to beat my head against my desk.

But as far as that damned Ribbon goes, Bill Gates can stick it straight up his arse. I can't stand it. It takes me forever to do anything in Word now. :plain:

#18 Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I still remember / f s to save the lotus spreadsheet. It was great for accounting back in the 80's.

#19 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,227 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:00 PM

I still remember / f s to save the lotus spreadsheet. It was great for accounting back in the 80's.

i never caught on to excel but i ran a DOS based version of lotus 123 for years at work.

everytime i hear of lotus the first thing that pops into my head is /fr

#20 Chip

Chip
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I worked at Lotus for 8 years, Loved working there. Then my next two jobs used Notes, etc. I didn't start in a job with MS office, etc until 2004

#21 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,884 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

I suppose a mention of dBase II is appropriate.

I've been helping on a data migration project where part of the institutional data is in a piece of software built on dBaseII. Converted it into SQL Server so I could grab the data needed

#22 pixiebug

pixiebug
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

i love excel :huh: