28 replies to this topic

#1 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

How can they not love us

Quran burning incites deadly riots in Afghanistan

Clashes between Afghan troops and protesters angry over the burning of Muslim holy books at a U.S. military base left at least seven people dead and dozens wounded Wednesday as anger spread despite U.S. apologies over what it said was a mistake.

The demonstrations across four eastern provinces illustrated the intensity of Afghans' anger at what they saw as foreign forces flouting their laws and insulting their culture.

The violence was also a reminder of how easily Afghan-U.S. relations can deteriorate as the two countries work to forge a long-term partnership ahead of the withdrawal of foreign forces in 2014.

The unrest started Tuesday when Afghan workers at the main American military base, Bagram Air Field, saw soldiers dumping books in a pit where garbage is burned and noticed Qurans and other religious material among the trash.

The top U.S. and NATO commander, Gen. John Allen, quickly issued an apology and telephoned President Hamid Karzai and major news organizations to explain that a collection of religious materials, including Qurans, had been mistakenly sent to be incinerated. As soon as someone realized what they were burning, they stopped and retrieved what was left, Allen said.

Four copies of the Quran were burned before the incineration was halted, according to initial Afghan government reports.

Anger about the burning spread overnight. A single demonstration outside the Bagram base on Tuesday gave way to three protests in the capital, Kabul, on Wednesday, along with demonstrations in the major eastern city of Jalalabad and in Logar and Parwan province, where Bagram is located.

In Kabul, about 2,000 people massed outside a heavily guarded housing complex for foreigners, chanting "Death to America!" as they hurled rocks at the compound's reinforced walls and set a fuel truck ablaze. The complex

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,784 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Burning a book = Death to America

Makes sense to me. This is why we can't have nice things.

#3 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,525 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

these people are completely fucking unspooled

#4 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

these people are completely fucking unspooled

Yup, but we're aware of that and should have known better. Smooth move whoever did this.

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

How is it that this became "public" information in the first place? Google Street view?

#6 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

"The unrest started Tuesday when Afghan workers at the main American military base, Bagram Air Field, saw soldiers dumping books in a pit where garbage is burned and noticed Qurans and other religious material among the trash."

#7 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Didn't we already commit this faux pas before?

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Yes. And the nutters did what nutters do. I read antiwar.com everyday so it's happened a few times now actually. :plain:

It's just insensitive. But, so many people think their religion is just pure evil these days, I think it's actually done deliberately in certain instances. Is this one of those? :dunno:
Just pointing out my observations.

#9 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Afghan soldier kills two NATO troops at protests

An Afghan soldier joined protests on Thursday against the burning of copies of the Koran at a NATO base and shot dead two foreign troops, Western military sources said, as the Taliban urged security forces to turn their guns on foreigners.

Protests against the burning of copies of Islam's most holy book drew thousands of angry Afghans to the streets, chanting "Death to America!" for the third consecutive day in violence that has killed 11 people and wounded many more.

The Taliban urged Afghans to target foreign military bases and kill Westerners in retaliation for the Koran burning at Bagram airfield on Tuesday, later directing its plea to the security forces, calling on them to "turn their guns on the foreign infidel invaders," it said on its site shahamat-english.com.

In a demonstration in eastern Nangarhar province on Thursday, an Afghan soldier turned his gun on NATO soldiers, local officials and western military sources said. A provincial spokesman said the soldier then escaped.

NATO confirmed a man in Afghan army uniform killed two of its troops in the east, but declined to say if the shooting was connected to the protests.

More
http://www.reuters.c...E81K09T20120223

#10 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

Why the fuck are we even there again?

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

To get the boogeyman.

As for the burning of the books, the whole story isn't present in most news. The books first belonged to prisoners who were sending written messages between themselves by writing inside the korans. Should they have known better than to burn them? YES.

Is it apparent that the loonies are OK with people desecrating the sacred book, then getting up in arms when those desecrated books are burned?

It is WAY past due for us to leave that country. We have no business there except the business of exploiting their natural resources on the long term. Thats why we are still there. No other reason at all except the old plan. You know th eone.

#12 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,525 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

we're there to save face at this point...think vietnam...they dont want to pull out until it looks right for them to do so

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

"Pull out" :funny1:

#14 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

prolly shoulda just burned Afghani's instead...most of them seem to be OK with that whole lose of life thing anyway:coffee:

#15 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,525 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

we blew our load in there a long time agao already...idk why were still jigglin it around

#16 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

does anyone think opium has anything to do with it? 2 biggest industries in the US are oil and pharmies, no?

#17 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

does anyone think opium has anything to do with it? 2 biggest industries in the US are oil and pharmies, no?

It's been reported before that Her-on has been filtered out with much ease since the conflict began.

I think the real deal is the resource rich mountain ranges that large firms are looking to secure contracts to extract.

#18 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

It is WAY past due for us to leave that country. We have no business there except the business of exploiting their natural resources on the long term. Thats why we are still there. No other reason at all except the old plan. You know th eone.

Ding ding ding!!

#19 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

U.S. Soldiers Killed, as Kabul Braces for Wider Protests

Afghanistan is bracing for intensifying protests, as outrage over the burning of Qurans at a U.S. base led to the first American casualties and President Barack Obama vowed to hold coalition officials accountable for the "inadvertent" sacrilege.

The three days of protests against Monday's burning of Islam's holiest book at the Bagram Airfield already have resulted in the deaths of at least 10 Afghans. Demonstrations are expected to escalate Friday, when clerics at mosques around the country are expected to dedicate their weekly sermons to denouncing the incident.

In an attempt to assuage the anger, Mr. Obama apologized to Afghan President Hamid Karzai for what he called inadvertent attempts to burn the Islamic books, in a personal letter delivered Thursday by the U.S. ambassador to Kabul, Ryan Crocker.

"I assure you that we will take appropriate steps to avoid any recurrence, to include holding accountable those responsible," President Obama said in the letter, according to Mr. Karzai's office.

The Taliban on Thursday called on Afghans to kill Western forces in Afghanistan to avenge the insult. Hours later an Afghan soldier opened fire on U.S. troops on a base in eastern Nangarhar province, according to Afghan officials. Two American troops were killed before the Afghan soldier escaped into a crowd of protesters demonstrating outside the base in the province's Khogyani district.

The deadly demonstrations that spread across Kabul and Afghanistan's provinces this week have targeted U.S. and coalition military bases, Afghan government buildings and symbols of Western presence.

More
http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

#20 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Was that Floridian Pastor on vacation in Afghanistan or sometin?

#21 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

U.S. Soldiers Killed, as Kabul Braces for Wider Protests

Afghanistan is bracing for intensifying protests, as outrage over the burning of Qurans at a U.S. base led to the first American casualties and President Barack Obama vowed to hold coalition officials accountable for the "inadvertent" sacrilege.

The three days of protests against Monday's burning of Islam's holiest book at the Bagram Airfield already have resulted in the deaths of at least 10 Afghans. Demonstrations are expected to escalate Friday, when clerics at mosques around the country are expected to dedicate their weekly sermons to denouncing the incident.

In an attempt to assuage the anger, Mr. Obama apologized to Afghan President Hamid Karzai for what he called inadvertent attempts to burn the Islamic books, in a personal letter delivered Thursday by the U.S. ambassador to Kabul, Ryan Crocker.

"I assure you that we will take appropriate steps to avoid any recurrence, to include holding accountable those responsible," President Obama said in the letter, according to Mr. Karzai's office.

The Taliban on Thursday called on Afghans to kill Western forces in Afghanistan to avenge the insult. Hours later an Afghan soldier opened fire on U.S. troops on a base in eastern Nangarhar province, according to Afghan officials. Two American troops were killed before the Afghan soldier escaped into a crowd of protesters demonstrating outside the base in the province's Khogyani district.

The deadly demonstrations that spread across Kabul and Afghanistan's provinces this week have targeted U.S. and coalition military bases, Afghan government buildings and symbols of Western presence.

More
http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

wah...the Taliban killed my family...wah...our women are being slaughtered for wanting to read...wah...the Taliban is killing anyone who doesn't agree with them wahhhh...but hey...that's OK...they left our Qurans in tact

...kill the westerners for burning already desecrated Qurans that were in fact desecrated by the Taliban who appear to be up in arms for having desecrated Qurans...ummm...desecrated?

we need to bail out completely...they are a lost cause. We did things over there we were set to do. (Osama, set up gov't)

if we need mineral ore from them...sit, wait it out and then take them over and put a Christian or Jew in charge...fuck them backward asses who can't seem to do anything but complain, kill each other, live in constant fear, have no freedoms...and mostly, can't read anyways so they listen and believe everything the 4 taliban guys who maybe can read say what the west has done!

#22 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Way to be tolerant, java :rolleyes: Did you chant U.S.A.! while you wrote that?

I agree - time to go home. But to write a p.o.s. rant like that is uncalled for. We know better than to do that and yet we still do.

I suppose they should just thank us for the 10 yrs of chaos that we've brought. And the next 10 years of chaos when we leave. :rolleyes:

#23 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Way to be tolerant, java :rolleyes: Did you chant U.S.A.! while you wrote that?

I agree - time to go home. But to write a p.o.s. rant like that is uncalled for. We know better than to do that and yet we still do.

I suppose they should just thank us for the 10 yrs of chaos that we've brought. And the next 10 years of chaos when we leave. :rolleyes:

yes...because that was quite a lovely country before we got there...no chaos at all...peaceful loving place right?:rolleyes:

why is it uncalled for again? because you don't think it is?

we've been helping this country out since like the 1920's and they never once peeped or complained about the billions and billions of dollars we've GIVEN to them since, that's not to mention technology advisors, setting up schools for them that we've done since as well. (excluding a coupla years during the russian occupation) oh yeah they once liked not living in the dark ages...that country seems to want us only when it's convenient for them (which is fine...their country) but to carry on as they do (turning on and off the appreciation faucet) and now this week we're evil to them...I've had it.

same rights you have to call my rant a POS are the same rights that I have to rant in the first place.

USA, USA, USA!!!!:funny1:

#24 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,922 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

I'm always amazed how seriously Muslims take "sacrilege" and what constitutes it. I wonder what the proper method for old Koran disposal is.

And it occurred to me that the reason there are no movies about the prophet Mohammed is that he cannot be depicted as an image. But I did find this gem.

Posted Image

#25 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

[quote name='Julius']I wonder what the proper method for old Koran disposal is.
[/QUOTE]

Voila.

http://www.inter-isl...ngscripture.htm

[QUOTE]Every religion and society has great respect for its Holy Scriptures no matter how old or new they may look. The Sikhs, Jews and Christians all have a certain respect for their Holy Scriptures but the respect and love the Muslims hold for their Holy Script is greatly different. The Last Revelation: The Holy Qur

#26 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Right. Those books should have been handed over to religious "authorities" (however it works in their religion..a mosque, what have you) and left for them to decide how to dispose of them.

It's just mindless insensitive assholish behaviours like these that cause unnecessary violence against our troops. We've done this before and had to do damage control over it. If those military troops/officials over there can't start to be a bit more complimentary to the culture, they should probably just come home and quite making matters worse.

#27 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

I agree, but I give the lion's share of blame to the officers. The soldiers and grunts are pretty much kids, so the officers should ride herd on them hard and also be trained extensively in cultural sensitivity. They probably do get a lot of that kind of training, but clearly it's not covering all the bases it should.

#28 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Right. Those books should have been handed over to religious "authorities" (however it works in their religion..a mosque, what have you) and left for them to decide how to dispose of them.

It's just mindless insensitive assholish behaviours like these that cause unnecessary violence against our troops. We've done this before and had to do damage control over it. If those military troops/officials over there can't start to be a bit more complimentary to the culture, they should probably just come home and quite making matters worse.

correct, no argument here...especially since a boardie was able to google how to handle Islamic religous "items", there really is no excuse on our part for doing this shit...no one in the military thought to do a li'l research?

but I'm still pissed at the Afghani people for listening to extremists who have done so much damage to the people and the country, more than we could or can ever do (for our isolationist friends :wink:)over an explanation and apology...no matter how idiotic the apology was...it did describe what happened...if they'd just maybe think for themselves.
but I can get over it and be an Afghan fan again:smile:

#29 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

They are an extremely religious culture. it is ingrained in their very beings. It is not regular everyday americans listening to that florida christian cult nutter. This is an entire culture of people that believe that burning their holy scripts is enough to incite violence.

Which is why, leave them to it over there and lets bring our troops home. They can slay each other, do strange things to sheep and whatever else they please in their soveriegn nation. We aren't going to change anything about their culture. In fact, we're exacerbating the extremist elements they have by being there.