Why the ever changing festival dates?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LostsailorVT

LostsailorVT
  • VibeTribe
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

It used to seem that the GOTV's was as close to August 1st as possible, being that it began as a celebration of the life and music of Jerry Garcia. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but why is it that the dates for this festival keep changing in recent years. This year it has been moved back so much that it now falls on the same weekend as GreyFox and All Good.

Most of the area festivals have announced their initial line-ups. All Good is looking pretty sweet so far. As usual, GOTV is taking it's time to provide even a small taste of the line-up. I'm sure it will be incredible as always, but... What's the big secret? Why the hold up?

I have to wonder how many vibes regulars will jump ship this year and head for another festival. I love and always look forward the vibes. I have been going for many years, but with All Good having the Allmans, Phil & Friends, Bobby w/ Bruce & Branford, Mickey, R.R. Earth , and more; seems like it will mean competition for attendance.

Just thinkin'

#2 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,763 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

It used to seem that the GOTV's was as close to August 1st as possible, being that it began as a celebration of the life and music of Jerry Garcia.

Sometimes the dates work, and sometimes they don't. There are a lot of factors involved in securing a weekend, including the venue being available for the weekend and the time needed before and after for set up and breakdown, etc.

It actually didn't start that way though... the first year (1996) it was in late May, then the next 5 or 6 years it was at the end of June. ;)

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,449 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Allgood and Grassroots on the same weekend as Vibes.

It's hard to say seeing Allgoods line-upwhat Vibes with throw out. However, there was a big hurahh last year and Ken and crew brought the serbiz awesome line-up.

It will certainly be a tug of war for attendance this year and I can't say I'm all happy about having to yet again, choose between my two favorite summer festies.

Even if Royal thinks Grassroots is the ned flanders of festies. :spank: :lol:

#4 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

its never a question for me...vibes > allgood regardless of the line-up:dunno:

#5 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

It actually didn't start that way though... the first year (1996) it was in late May, then the next 5 or 6 years it was at the end of June. ;)

yeah actually the first few years it was a 'summer solstice celebration'

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Sometimes the dates work, and sometimes they don't. There are a lot of factors involved in securing a weekend, including the venue being available for the weekend and the time needed before and after for set up and breakdown, etc.

:smile:

#7 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

its never a question for me...vibes > allgood regardless of the line-up:dunno:

this

and that other piece of crap is in friggen Ohio.

#8 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have to wonder how many vibes regulars will jump ship this year and head for another festival.

Not this one!! :Phishfolk:

#9 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,546 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

They won't that's why they can wait. I go to Vibes to see my friends end of story. Otherwise I probably wouldn't go:lol:

#10 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

I'm bummed we won't have Phil & Friends... :dance: I can do without the Rat Dog, personally... :boogie: (<= notice Lil' Red and Gramps pertaining to each of these bands! :funny1:)

#11 freshwater dan

freshwater dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

I have to say I'm leaning towards All Good. The lineup is just too damn good.

#12 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

Have faith, folks :wink:

#13 neurotech

neurotech
  • VibeTribe
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hey all. While we can't be in two places at once, the bands could be. The few hours drive between festivals could make it easier for bands who plan on swinging through the east coast festivals to be at both All Good and Vibes.

#14 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,698 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

This! :smile:

#15 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

So, no Rat Dog then, eh? HUZZAH! :v: :lol:

#16 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

This! :smile:

that :lol:

#17 Danimal

Danimal
  • VibeTribe
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

I actually never realized this but I've been to vibes on a different weekend almost every time and 3 separate months. Has it ever been on the same weekend? I mean maybe similar like 1st weekend of August or last weekend of July... 4th of July weekend was the craziest!!! I like the weekend they picked now, because it always seems to be the best weather this time of year in New England!!! Last year while it was hotter than you know what, the weather was perfect I thought!!! So can't wait, are we there yet!?!?!?!?!

#18 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I actually never realized this but I've been to vibes on a different weekend almost every time and 3 separate months. Has it ever been on the same weekend? I mean maybe similar like 1st weekend of August or last weekend of July... 4th of July weekend was the craziest!!! I like the weekend they picked now, because it always seems to be the best weather this time of year in New England!!! Last year while it was hotter than you know what, the weather was perfect I thought!!! So can't wait, are we there yet!?!?!?!?!

It was summer solstice weekend 2-3 years in a row I think - 97 Croton, 98 Plattsburgh & 1st time at 99 Bridgeport? (foggy memory)

#19 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,981 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

prolly all of the top of the line All good bands will be playing Vibes Friday n Saturday and playing All Good Sunday:one:

#20 iclue76

iclue76
  • VibeTribe
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

July 4th WAS the craziest! I'll never forget that Vibes. The fireworks during the Phil set-break, the 20 car caravan we had & somehow all made it in together (side by side w/camping) are two of my highlights from that year but there were many more! :jump:

#21 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,584 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

the 20 car caravan we had & somehow all made it in together (side by side w/camping)

that right there is quite a remarkable feat for ilcc! :lol:

although i would have suggested - speaking strictly AS someone who does parking at Vibes, mind you :funny1: - i would have done 10 on each side so that the entire middle area would be yours and you wouldn't have to worry about any 'halfway point' in the camping area between the cars