434 replies to this topic

#151 YogaMermaid

YogaMermaid
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

Wow, what breathtaking photos.
You have remarkable talent.
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't bummed that you chose BK over me to do the graffitti fashion photo op shoot years ago. Oh well....
Congrats on your profound talent.

#152 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,088 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

Nice work Jeremy!! Great to see you Friday night!!

#153 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

Nice work Jeremy!! Great to see you Friday night!!

Good seeing you as well. What a great night in the city for music...

Wow, what breathtaking photos.
You have remarkable talent.
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't bummed that you chose BK over me to do the graffitti fashion photo op shoot years ago. Oh well....
Congrats on your profound talent.

I'd always hoped to do another project with you but there didn't seem to be any opportunity after that (plus you moved away/off the boards) If you ever have time, there's a place near by house in Jersey City, its this huge stone wall with beautiful light and texture that I've been dying to try out.

#154 Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn
  • VibeTribe
  • 688 posts
  • LocationNW Corner, CT

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

WOW - I haven't looked through this thread in a while and WOW - just checking out all the great pics has my heart pumpin' and my toes tappin' like I was right there!!! I esp. like the Levon pic from the vibes - I would love a framed copy of that! - we'll be going to a midnight ramble in a couple months it would be awesome to have him sign it!

#155 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

AWESOME Jeremy!:jamguy:

#156 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

good stuff. I dig the desert shots!

#157 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, Ed I really liked the way those Mining Town/desert shots came out. My dad's been trying to restart his model train hobby for the past year or so, I'm got a couple prints made up for Christmas and hopefully he'll put them up around the table.
Gwendolyn, if you like, contact me via gordonjer@gmail.com and I'm sure we can work something out :)
an old photo I found as I was looking through for a few Christmas presents.
A view of lower Manhattan and the Hudson River in the summer of '07
Posted Image

#158 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

I had a chance to catch Rana and Matisyahu at Music Hall of Williamsburg
last night and just wanted to post a few before I went up to New Hampshire and Portland, Maine for the weekend.
I finally kicked myself in gear and started using Lightroom (after I assisted on a modeling shoot last week and found out the photographer swore by it)
Scott Metzger of Rana
Posted Image
and Matisyahu
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
also Hidden Track ran an article on Buzzuniverse yesterday and ran a few of my photos with it.
http://www.glidemaga...9-ace-of-clubs/
also Jambands.com accepted one of my photos for their "In the Moment" series
http://www.jambands.com/in-the-moment/
Posted Image
and ran an interview with Scott Metzger using the following photo
http://www.jambands....h-scott-metzger
Posted Image

#159 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:57 AM

nice. love the pic of marco. he looks like a dirty hippy these days

#160 Zoe Wilder

Zoe Wilder
  • VibeTribe
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:09 AM

great shots

#161 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

:clapping: I have to give you mad props for your pictures, you really have a talent. After looking through your pictures i was wondering how do you get such vibrant coloring?

#162 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

Thanks guys. :)

A friend of mine told me a funny story about Marco when he went to interview him at his house in Brooklyn, said he's a really fun guy to interview.
Joe as for the colors it depends on the shot. If its a concert photo it was probably enhanced in photoshop and if it was a day shot it may have been done as an HDR.
I just really enjoy seeing vibrant colors.

#163 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

As a bit of a finale before Christmas (and possibly until NYE), I wanted to get together my favorite concert photos of the year and put them altogether in a group.
These were taken at Mountain Jam, Camp Bisco, Gathering of the Vibes, at various places around the city and in New Jersey in Atlantic City and Vasa Park, and Mexicali Blues. There's some pretty big names in there including Bob Weir, Lou Reed, Phish, Etta James, Maceo Parker, GE Smith, and Buddy Guy as well as some up and coming bands like Lucero, the Discuo Biscuits, Lotus, and more.
Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays :)
[ame][/ame]

#164 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

awesome stuff as always
my uncle is hooking me up with a lense or two he no longer uses, so I hope to really start to focus on learning how to use my camera more then I do.

watching your grow over the years is really an inspiration.

#165 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:56 PM

Thanks Josh,
I hope you and Micki had a good Christmas and good luck with the camera, we'll see you guys soon :)

#166 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

when I get the new lens, we should plan a day to wonder around the city, we can bar hop
you can give me photo pointers and the girls can get hammered.....ok we can all get hammered:pimp:

#167 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

when I get the new lens, we should plan a day to wonder around the city, we can bar hop
you can give me photo pointers and the girls can get hammered.....ok we can all get hammered:pimp:

Sounds good. I'm actually putting together a list of cool places around the city to shoot for this fashion photographer I've been working for, should work out great.
I wanted to throw some odds and ends out there.
Jambase/Jambands, The Best of 2009 is out and Joel Cummins and Andy Farag used a couple of my old shots taken from the Blender Theater last fall
http://www.jambase.c...9-Artist-List/1
Posted Image
Posted Image
and Jambands.com ran a quick post on The Disco Biscuits, Tractorbeam show at Highline on Monday and used the following image.
http://www.jambands....actorbeam-show/
Posted Image
and just wanted to throw in these photos of my buddy Joey, his sister, and our construction project on Christmas Eve.
Posted Image
Posted Image
We'll be at the Disco Biscuits on NYE and after that, who knows :)

#168 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Disco Biscuits NYE at the Nokia was a blast.
I got in a bit late and ended up running into the pit at full speed to set up my gear (dolt!)
The lighting was fantastic, the music great, and friends excellent as always. I also rented my first lens from Adorama,
a a beautiful 24-70 2.8 Nikon lens that was just wonderful, I would totally recommend this to anyone else.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Carla's working up a review right now and Hidden Track should get it up during the week.
Also if anyone is interested in seeing more, click on this slideshow link and see 'em big.
[ame][/ame]

#169 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Its been a pretty quiet week or two since NYE, luckily that will pick up with Vampire Weekend next Monday and Tuesday
and possibly Ryan Montbleau on Saturday at Mexicali.

So I've been trying to get back to work on portraits, sorta my New Year's resolution. Basically trying to find photos that I like and trying to figure out the lighting styles and recreate them. In a lot of ways its the complete opposite of concert photography. You control the lights, the mood, and must somehow draw out the subject's personality in a flattering manner...
Posted Image
This is a three light set up with a shoot through umbrella to the right, wrapping the face. A second edge light over my back shoulder to separate the black of the jacket from background, and a final light placed behind my back shooting at the background.
Unfortunately I don't have any other models right now, so its gonna be me for quite a while on this one. Although if anyone is ever bored one afternoon in Jersey City, give me a call ;)
Also the Disco Biscuits announced their 2010 winter tour and used my image for advertisement.
(Aron Magner looked through all the shots and chose it personally)
http://view.exacttar...572620d75771578
and I worked up one last shot from NYE. If you look carefully to the right side of the photo you can see a famous boardie hiding in the shadows :wink:
Posted Image

#170 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

Some more odds and ends.
I had a chance to catch Bebe Buell at the Hiro Ballroom last Wednesday night. For those who don't know Bebe Buell is the mother of Liv Tyler, a Playmate centerfold,
a former lover of Todd Rundgren, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, and Steven Tyler and is one of the main inspirations for the character, Penny Lane. She just released a new album and used the evening as a industry event to test it out.
Our friend Zac Lasher plays keyboards in the band which also includes Bebe's most recent (youngish) husband.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Also Hidden Track ran two articles this week involving some of photos.
The first was a piece about Phish 3.0
http://www.glidemaga...the-age-of-3-0/
with a shot taken from the 2nd night at Jones Beach
Posted Image
and a lighthearted interview with The Macpodz
http://www.glidemaga...e-of-ann-arbor/
using a shot from this past year's Mountain Jam
Posted Image
Anyway enjoy the weekend!

#171 BethKaya

BethKaya
  • VibeTribe
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

just checking in on my fav photo thread

shocked to see Yoga Mermaids little dig there
but perhaps at least she can admit to herself that was not my fault and didnt warrant her crazy freak out on me

Jeremy, stunning unique work as always

You rule, even if you hang my photo over the toilet ;) XOXOXO

#172 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

awesome tDB shots jeremy

#173 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Awesome stuff Jeremy! Always love looking at your work. :) I really dig the self-portait!

#174 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Awesome stuff Jeremy! Always love looking at your work. :) I really dig the self-portait!

Thanks, I just did another one too this past week.
Posted Image
I've got three flashes working in this one.
1. SB-800 w/ silver umbrella right just above eye level placed in frame and edited out.
2. SB-800 in small softbox just left of camera for slight fill.
3. SB-600 behind subject illuminating the background with red filter.
I should have the Vampire Weekend photos up soon. The shows were lots of fun, super packed though, but I think I got some nice ones.
They played all their hits from the first album and a good amount off their second one as well. I've never seen the floor bounce like it did at the Webster
during a few of the songs, the crowd was really into it. Then at the Bowery it was announced that their second album had hit #1 on the Billboard charts
as well. Carla's got a friend who works for their record label and they're renting out a bar to celebrate it, can't wait!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll be at moe. tonight at Roseland, should be a good one :)

#175 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

Nice! I'm looking forward to the day I understand what all that stuff means. :lol:

I took the new camera out for its first field trip last weekend (a park near my house). As soon as I get some shots uploaded, I'll post a few.

#176 jen

jen
  • VibeTribe
  • 672 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

Those are some incredible shots from NYE..wow

#177 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

jg, you got some next level stuff happening man :jamguy:

#178 BAKD

BAKD
  • VibeTribe
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

yo Jeremy,sick pics like always bro

#179 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Thanks everyone.
Jen and Crujonez I always love shooting the Biscuits. There's the excellent music and their management is always very good to me and
sometimes with the help of B-Bryan I get a little extra access and some really nice shots.
Lets see, the Vampire Weekend review is up on Hidden Track
http://www.glidemaga...d-webster-hall/
and WNYC.com asked to use a shot of the show as well.
http://culture.wnyc....ped-shows-week/
(ya gotta flip through, I'm the 2nd shot)
The record label has a link to my disco ball shot from Webster Hall
http://xlrecordings....reweekend/?pg=2
and a soccer website that also reviews concerts in NYC asked to use a shot from the Bowery Ballroom
http://www.firsttouc...ine.com/?p=4346
also as an odds and ends.

Jambands.com ran an article on Jon "Gutwillig's upcoming solo shows
with this image (man, they really love it)
Posted Image
http://www.jambands....lig-s-ski-tour/

and they ran an article on Allie Kral sitting in with Umphrey’s McGee using this shot.
Posted Image
http://www.jambands....rey-s-and-allie

#180 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Ok moe. from Friday night. Lots of sit ins with Butch Trucks, Marco Benevento, Jeff Austin, David Sanborn, and Danny Barnes.
I had a little problem getting into the venue and had to do almost a straight run into the pit. The backlighting was excellent, the front lighting in
most cases was non-existent, which was a bit of a bummer. Luckily though there was no time restrictions in the pit and we could pretty much go
wherever we liked in the venue.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
and this last one is probably my favorite of the group.
Posted Image
there's a few more here if you're interested.

and the photos have been posted with reviews to Hidden Track
http://www.glidemaga...e-moe-roseland/
and to Glide Magazine
http://www.glidemaga...efit-12210.html
that might be it for shows for a bit. I'll have to figure out a new project in the meantime :)

#181 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

aw, Vampire Weekend! i knew the frontman, Ezra, when I was in HS :) so weird to see them blowing up...

#182 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

aw, Vampire Weekend! i knew the frontman, Ezra, when I was in HS :) so weird to see them blowing up...

wow Randy, that's pretty cool.

Lets see I got a chance to catch Tea Leaf Green and Galactic's show at Terminal 5 this past Friday night. Galactic put on an excellent show, while Tea Leaf Green couldn't quite seem to put it together in their short time slot.
As far as photographing, it was damn tough. For TLG Apparently their long time lighting guru has moved on and they're only using the house guys on this run. Their were more than a few missed lighting cues and multiple solos that were done in complete darkness during the show. Its like Rock and Roll 101, if your lead guitarist goes into a solo, turn a freakin' spot light on him, hell turn any light on him!
For Galactic's first two songs of the night, they decided to go minimalist and not turn the lights on either, leaving approximately 5 minutes to get any shots I could....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Probably the highlight of the night was Tea Leaf Green sitting in with
Galactic for two songs, including a great Can

#183 Dolla Jill

Dolla Jill
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

Great Shots Jeremy!!!

#184 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

Great Shots Jeremy!!!

Thanks Jill :)
Let’s see, in the odds and ends department
Carla put up a wonderful recipe on her blog for Cajun Paella that was accepted by Photograzing.com
http://photograzing....jun-paella.html
Posted Image
On Hidden Track we have a press release written by Carla on Camp Bisco with this shot of the band from last year
Posted Image
We’ve also got a post on moe’s 20th anniversary this year
http://www.glidemaga...es-the-time-go/
Posted Image
And an article on P-Groove’s announced show at the Bowery Ballroom
http://www.glidemaga...returns-to-nyc/
Posted Image
Jambands.com ran an article on newly announced bands for the Bear Creek Music and Art Festival
http://www.jambands....creek-additions
using an old Maceo Parker shot.
Posted Image
I just recently got an email from Lon Ballinger the owner of Webster Hall thanking Hidden Track on their review of The Vampire Weekend show
and personally requesting the following image for their website.
Posted Image

I was also asked to work up a u-melt publicity photo, including newest member Kevin Griffin. Of course at this point I haven’t had the time
to shoot Kevin with the band, so I modified an old idea that had been kicking around, found a shot of Kevin playing with The Point and came up with this.
Posted Image
They seemed to like it and it should start showing up on jambase and whatnot in the near future.

#185 Luna

Luna
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,784 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerze

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

Love the Vampire Weekend shot! Still like your scenic pics outside Las Vegas the best… those are amazing. :clapping:

#186 roo

roo
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

"i don't care how good you say it will feel. your not stickin it in there." :lol:
Posted Image

#187 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

Awesome take on everything shot.

Not sure how you do it....you grab that second it is all happening all at once.

Color, charater, action, lights and shadows........very cool!:pimp:

#188 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

wicked awesome!

#189 irieday

irieday
  • VibeTribe
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:30 AM

Jeremy! Those Biscuits shots are amazing!!!

#190 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

thanks guys :)
Unfortunately I haven't shot too much lately, mostly I've been trying to practice for a shoot with the U-Melt guys on Saturday before their big gig.
A couple of portrait shots of Carla, I worked on for Valentine's Day.
Posted Image
Posted Image
and a couple shots of the city taken from Jersey City (the first two) and from DUMBO in Brooklyn.
The first two are one shot HDRs, taken into photoshop and messed with
Posted Image
Posted Image
In this one of the Brooklyn Bridge, I thought it'd be fun to shoot in the snow and rain, of course I learned
you've got to bring an umbrella with you to cover the camera or your lens is screwed. This is me trying to
save the shot.
Posted Image

#191 KrisNYG

KrisNYG
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

What a gift you have JG. :)

#192 Luna

Luna
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,784 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerze

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Those are Great! I esp the love the second one of Carla and the Winter shots.

#193 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

Thanks Kris, its a lot of work and most of the time its a lot of fun, although sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, too :)

Luna, its fun to walk around the neighborhood and check out the different views of Manhattan. There's still a few more places I've got to
do, like shoot from the heights or the park in Hoboken.

A couple of shots from U-Melt at the Bowery Ballroom on Saturday night.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
We also did a quick publicity shoot with the band, hopefully they'll find one they like and I'll post it :)
Also just sent a publicist from Barefoot Truth a photo, that may appear in an article in the New York Times.
Posted Image
I'll let everyone know if they run it.
I also got a tear sheet in the March issue of Modern Drummer with a photo of Pete Wilhoit :)
Posted Image
so that's pretty exciting :)

#194 phishNtrips

phishNtrips
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

that's awesome!

#195 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

So after being turned down by Umphrey's and Furthur this past week I was a bit disappointed and down, but a funny thing happened.
I ended up getting a random email from a blog asking if anyone wanted to review Tibet House US XX Annual Benefit. I emailed
back and said, I wasn't interested in reviewing it, but would love a chance to shoot Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Philip Glass, and Gogol Bordello
at Carnegie Hall. The show was a ton of fun. Someone yelled a "Belated" Happy Birthday to Patti Smith, to which she responded, "As the Mad Hatter
said, well today is my Un-Birthday." Iggy Pop started in a sweater, but quickly went running around the stage topless. He even tried
what was possibly the first stage dive ever at Carnegie Hall (and possibly the last) as he ended up in a heap at the bottom floor, before being picked
up by the crowd and dusted off.

For shooting it was a bit tough however. We were only allowed to shoot from the back of the auditorium and the lighting was minimal to say the least, although we
were allowed to shoot the entire show from there which did allow for different testing. I ended up renting a 300 2.8 lens (and a monopod) and at one point put a converter on it that got me a fixed lens of 500mm, which is pretty freakin' crazy.
I finally started pushing the ISO of the camera by setting the exposure from 1600-3200 depending on the musicians.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A quick review can be found here, with my photos
http://consequenceof...-tibet-benefit/

#196 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

I always enjoy when you post new stuff
hope to see you guys soon

#197 daveydave

daveydave
  • VibeTribe
  • 275 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

great stuff man!

#198 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks guys.
Josh, I was hoping to make it out on Sunday for Railroad Earth, but I let excuses get in the way :undecided:
but, there's a good chance that we'll be there on the 13th for all the bands.
Here's the shot that was chosen for U-Melt's new promo photo. We set it up during sound check and then
took it in one of the booths at the Bowery Ballroom right before the doors opened. With limited time we decided to have all the lights
ready to go and get the band in some quick makeup and just start shooting. I think the setup portion took about an hour and the actual
shoot around 15 minutes.
Posted Image

#199 daveydave

daveydave
  • VibeTribe
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

I like that U-Melt promo shot, good stuff

#200 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

I like that U-Melt promo shot, good stuff

Thanks Dave. I just got contacted by another band on another shoot as well :)

Had a chance to see Soulive on Friday night at Brooklyn Bowl. The venue was packed but people were eating and drinking and bowling, so you could still move around the concert floor pretty well. The special guests for the evening were The London Souls and Nigel Hall. Soulive did some Beatles covers during their set and had the other bands sit in on Hendrix's Manic Depression, Tears for Fears, and James Brown. Really good stuff.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image