My Photos

• Please log in to reply
435 replies to this topic

#1 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Lets start by bringing a few of the old posts back.
I guess in the end you just look back and realize how much you've done....
Finally got the Lotus shots finished up. Hopefully there will be a review up on Hidden Track http://www.glidemaga...h-irving-plaza/
Sold out show, excellent 2nd set, packed floor, and a ton of underage kids (16+) so at least the beer lines were short :lol:
Really tough getting close to the front though, hopefully they'll move on to bigger venues with photo pits in the near future....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://www.glidemaga...rn-to-the-road/
also made this little guy back at the beginning of the baseball season. Marc was going to do an interview on Hidden Track on baseball
and the Yankees and whatnot, but due to touring and studio work, never could get it together on it. I guess using it for
announcing the winter tour made sense..
Posted Image
So got a chance to see the Gene Ween Band at Mexicali last night.
Very well attended show for a weekday. One set, lots of fun, my first time seeing Gene Ween perform
and even Mikey from O.C. Choppers showed up to watch.
Got these shots done quickly, hopefully I'll be able to pull a few more out tonite.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
(oh and apparently Scott loves his shot :) )

setlist and the shots up here on Hidden Track. http://www.glidemaga...-band-mexicali/
also in odds and ends U-Melt is using a few of the shots from their Highline show as part of their livedownload series.
http://www.livedownl...ew-York-NY.html
and Lotus is using the shots from Irving Plaza up on their myspace page.
http://viewmorepics....albumId=2493858

#2 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

well I was suppose to shoot Gene Ween Band again on Wed at Williamsburg Music Hall, but unfortunately it looks like it might be canceled.
So instead I tried working on some old shots with a new style
Bernie Worrell from moogfest.
Posted Image
if you click on it, it will take you to the flickr board, where you can see it full screen.
and also figured I'd get together my best shots of the year and put them altogether.
So here they are in a slideshow, hope you like them.
I got Trey, Page, Snoop Dogg, moe, Umphrey's, Disco Biscuits, Lotus, Levon Helm, Keller, Tea Leaf Green, Raq, U-Melt, and more...
[ame][/ame]

lets see the year end reviews have come out on jambands.com and Glide Magazine and it looks like I've got a shot in each of them.
Jambands happened to crop my shot of Jesse Miller of Lotus from earlier in the year http://www.jambands...._12_17.00.phtml
and Glide happened to use the Scott Metzger shot from Gene Ween Band at Mexicali
http://www.glidemaga...ott_metzger.php :)

#3 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

Ok on to some new stuff. Jambands.com put up a couple shots for their Photo of the Day archive. One's of Gene Ween and the other is from the Toubab Krewe show from early in the year, guess Dean wasn't kidding when he said he liked those shots.
http://www.jambands....otoDay_Archive/
got a chance to see the Disco Biscuits on the first night of the run at the Nokia, here's a couple to start with, hopefully have some more tomorrow.
Hidden Track posted them to their site as well
http://www.glidemaga...biscuits-nokia/
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and looks like we're gonna sneak over to Bustle in your Hedgerow tonight for one of the last shows at The Knitting Factory, before the venue gets booted out of Manhattan....

#4 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

Ok so I got 3 done of Bustle in your Hedgerow from the Knitting Factory, unfortunately none of Marco, due to the fact he was playing in almost complete darkness. Pretty good sized crowd for a Sunday night, but luckily we were able to squeeze into the 2nd row and grab these shots.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
a bit of work today and then on to the Disco Biscuits in Times Square!

#5 daveydave

daveydave
  • VibeTribe
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

Lets start by bringing a few of the old posts back.

Posted Image

pirahna? lol....great shots man!:joker:

#6 kate11

kate11
  • VibeTribe
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:19 PM

nice work

#7 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

thanks guys and yeah he could be Jeff's long lost brother :lol:
Sorry we missed you and Britt, while you guys were back east...
Ok a finally a few from New Years
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Matisyahu sitting in with the band
Posted Image
and Brownie
Posted Image
should have it posted to Hidden Track sometime later in the week.
I was pretty excited with the close ups, but as the night progressed...well the shots from the crowd got a little more fuzzy, similar to my thought process :lol:

#8 daveydave

daveydave
  • VibeTribe
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:47 PM

yeah, we were pretty hectic the entire time we were home we sure squeezed as many visits in as possible lol....we'll see you guys next time :)

#9 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

yeah I hear ya, I had the same thing going on, trying to see everyone's family and still make it to a show or two.

#10 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

so the review written by the lovely Carla went up on Hidden Track
http://www.glidemaga...-2009/#comments
and also Hidden Track is up for a Web award for Best Music Blog, so if anyone is interested in voting here you go
http://2008.weblogaw...est-music-blog/
(my understanding is you can vote every 24 hrs or so)

#11 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

lets see a quick one from yesterday from the roof at work.
Taken around 3pm or so and added a little hdr to it to get the clouds to really pop.
Posted Image

and two more of my shots were accepted at jambands.com
the black and white of Barber from the 26th and the color shot of Bustle with the 3 guys in the shot. You can see them here http://www.jambands....otoDay_Archive/
sharing of course with a shot of Zac Lasher by Chris Paul :)

#12 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

Luke and Jesse Miller from Lotus are twins therefore Pirahna(i don't know him) would make them triplets. Those are really badass photos by the way.

#13 jagermonster

jagermonster
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

that does look like pirhana! :lol:

all awesome as always jer. also like your new avatar. fancy!

#14 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

thanks guys :)
so lets see, I haven't been shooting too much of late, actually been packing and moving and currently have my gear in two states (of course that's really only 5 miles apart, but still)
Got a chance to see The Brew at a loft party in Brooklyn on Saturday. Reminded me of my old place, although thankfully this one had heat from a wood burning stove. We used to have one too, but the fire marshall didn't react to kindly to that....
anyway here's a few shots, the band was good, excellent covers of Billy Jean and Have a Cigar, and a few good tunes of their own.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

a couple of quick ones from Wed night at Mexicali.
a good show, Reed is finally up to speed and is a more inclusive part of the band, singing harmonies and even leading on a few songs. The band has expanded their set lists back up again, so hopefully they're back on track.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
hope to have a few more from tonite's show at Wiliamsburg Music Hall and put them all together for a comprehensive review.

#16 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

holy crap, jeremy! you've been busy! i am constantly amazed at the quality and awesome composition of your shots. truly stunning.

#17 Tabbooma

Tabbooma
  • VibeTribe
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

Truly great picts man.. thanks

#18 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

thank you :)
Well walking in to Wiliamsburg Music Hall for Tea Leaf, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The Mexicali show was maybe 1/2 full and the show was decent, but not overwhelming. Thankfully it was completely different in Brooklyn. The place was filled, the band jammed, and we had a great time. Unfortunately the lighting was pretty tough. Almost all of it was back lit and shooting straight into the camera sensor grrrrrrrrrr...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 chrispaul

chrispaul
  • VibeTribe
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

JG, these shots are so crisp, I love the clarity of your work
very inspiring :)

#20 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Chris, you should see how many I junked from this set, the quality just wasn't there from these. Next Time I'm at Williamsburg I'm gonna bring the freakin' lens hoods.
lets see Carla's review is up on Hidden Track
http://www.glidemaga...oklyn/#comments
found out the other day, that Christopher Michetti is using one of my images to promote his new tour and show at Sullivan Hall.
original
Posted Image
advertisement.
http://www.sullivanh...ts/michetti.htm
Posted Image

and Phish/Page is using two of my shots from PBS with Page at BB Kings
http://www.livephish...ow.asp?show=428
Posted Image
and
http://www.livephish...ow.asp?show=427
Posted Image

and I happened upon this picture from last year. Took it leaving the Disco Biscuits in Times Square, happened to look up and saw these guys working on the Coca-Cola sign.
Not sure why I never posted it before...
Posted Image
anyway gonna see Terry Reid at BB Kings tomorrow night. He's the guy who Jimmy Page first asked to join his new band after the Yardbirds broke up. Terry passed and suggested another singer to Page, Mr. Robert Plant, and of course the band became known as Led Zepplin....

#21 jagermonster

jagermonster
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

wow! that coke one is sweet

#22 daveydave

daveydave
  • VibeTribe
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:23 AM

wow! that coke one is sweet

hell yeah it is....damn

#23 JamOnIt247

JamOnIt247
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

WOW.. gotta agree with those guys.. Coke one is my fav!! :heart:

#24 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:25 PM

Thank you guys, I'm getting a ton of great feedback in the Coca-Cola shot.
Here's a couple of Terry Reid. It was the first time I'd ever seen a show at BB Kings with seating on the floor. Terry was interesting, I had a heard some recordings of his from 30 years ago, and while he still has a great voice, he no longer has the range or the high notes anymore. He did two tunes I knew, one Brian Wilson song and another song of his, that The Raconteurs had covered, "Rich Boy Blues"
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Also I'm been speaking to Pete Wilhoit about this image I took at Camp Bisco.
Posted Image
He loves it and now has it up on his website. He's gonna be in NYC at the end of the month with Fiction Plane
a band that sounds pretty close to The Police (and has Sting's son in it) so hopefully we'll get to see them.
http://www.petewilho...Pete-Photos.htm

#25 Moose

Moose
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Holy shit jeremy. I'm always floored by your live work but that coca cola shot is a fucking mindbender. I'd have a fucking gallery wrap of that on my wall if I took that. Hell, I wish I had a gallery wrap of it for MY wall.

Truly amazing capture. What a perfect execution! A+++++ work.
Seriously.
Never stop shooting and sharing man. Never!
What an eye.

#26 tiedyesky

tiedyesky
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,395 posts
  • Locationjust outside the box

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:25 AM

That Coca Cola sign is freakin' amazing!!!! As many times as I've been there its always looked like a Coke can...that shot is a mind-bender!

#27 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

That Coca Cola sign is freakin' amazing!!!! As many times as I've been there its always looked like a Coke can...that shot is a mind-bender!

I poked around and actually found some video of them showing off the new screen and you can see people walking in the sign in the first shot (although this wasn't the night I took the photo)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SaGM0iskhk"][/ame]

#28 tiedyesky

tiedyesky
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,395 posts
  • Locationjust outside the box

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

That's trippy too! I find it amazing enough just to see real people change the marquee letters there...good to know we aren't run by machines, you know?

#29 Spiffy

Spiffy
  • VibeTribe
  • 478 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

where are the party pictures?!

#30 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

where are the party pictures?!

hidden in the camera somewhere.
But, I'll take a look this weekend and email them over to you.

#31 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Lets see, got another chance to shoot the Gene Ween Band, this time in Williamsburg. Fun show, 2 hours with a short set break in the middle, another one with tough lighting. I'm starting to hate this place for photography, which is a shame since its a really nice place to see a show.
The only thing that saved most of the shots, was the use of flash. I found if I jelled the flash with a 3/4 CTO it gave enough fill without calling attention to it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
also got a few more shots accepted to jambands.com
including one of The Brew shots and a black and white of Joe Russo
from the Knitting Factory...

gonna see Cornmeal this weekend at the Blender for the moe. aftershow and hope to do Sharon Jones before, but am running into a little problem with that one...

#32 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

I got a few of the Cornmeal shots done.
First set was all them and the 2nd was almost all with Chuck and Al from moe.
Some really fun stuff including Shady Grove and Paul Simon's, "I Know, What I know"
Hopefully I'll add a few more later.
Boy I love shooting here, the lights at Blender are easily the best in the city, plus it was nice to get a few shots of Al and Chuck, since moe. appears to be limiting photo passes this year.
(oh and Allie looked quite fine)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

So before Cornmeal on Friday night, we went over to the Nokia to enjoy a little Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. Really enjoyable show, lots of songs off of 100 Days, 100 Nights and a few new ones that should be on a new album soon. Not a packed show and about halfway through security pretty much got bored and gave up working and we were able to go all around and sit and stand where ever we pleased. :)
Also I'm really happy with the way these have come out. I had a chance to shoot Sharon Jones about two years ago and the results were not all that good.
Posted Image
It feels really good to see the photos get better....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Binky Griptite
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
also in bad news, it appears as though Daptones Studio in Bushwick was robbed last night...
http://www.brooklynv...ne_records.html

#34 irieday

irieday
  • VibeTribe
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

I love your shots Jeremy.
The clarity and crispness of each shot is amazing.
How do you do that?
:lol:

#35 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:20 PM

ok, well if you're serious, here goes ;)

I always try and keep the face in focus (unless there's a specific reason not to)
if people see that the face is in focus, they assume the rest is too. If you look at that last Cornmeal shot, the neck of the guitar and the fingers are out of focus and poorly exposed, but really all you care about is the nose, the eyes, and the hair being in focus, so it works.
I also took around 500 shots for the Cornmeal and Sharon Jones shows (this is a bit of an extreme, but there was alot of good lighting so I kept shooting). I would say probably 100 are out of focus, 100 are too dark, 100 are poorly framed or boring. Usually I can get that down to 15-20 shots out of that many that i actually like and can work on.
In photoshop I try my best to fix the exposure with the brights and darknesses, get the colors to look decent (especially trying to save the shots in complete red)
Then finish it up with a little sharpening for the focus points and unsharpening in the unfocused areas to reduce the obvious noise issues.
if you weren't serious, then I guess if you take enough shots, one or two has gotta work out, right :lol:
you got any fun Disco Biscuits ones from the past week?

#36 irieday

irieday
  • VibeTribe
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

I was dead serious Jeremy.
Thanks!

Do you always shoot raw as well?
I have been having an issue with clarity lately.
I am actually about to look at my biscuits shoots from the weekend.
Gotta get on that.

#37 jemita

jemita
  • VibeTribe
  • 432 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

really like this one! good job jeremy!
Posted Image

I cannot believe she is 53yrs old!! girl is hittin it hard!!

#38 jemita

jemita
  • VibeTribe
  • 432 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

i love love love love having talented friends!

#39 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

I was dead serious Jeremy.
Thanks!

Do you always shoot raw as well?
I have been having an issue with clarity lately.
I am actually about to look at my biscuits shoots from the weekend.
Gotta get on that.

yeah for any photo I think I'm going to work on, I shoot raw. With an 8 gig card, I can still fit around 500 shots on there, plus you can always delete the duds when there's a break in the action. I've found raw files really do give you more range to work with, from saving blown out highlights, to saving some shots from the "red light of death" and turning them into a decent color.

and thanks Jema, I like that one alot too :)

#40 Moose

Moose
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

Absolutely on the RAW tip jeremy.
And thank you thank you thank you for that little tip regarding live photography, I've never really put that together in my head but it all sure makes sense. The eyes are amazing the way they gather information in a split second and send it back to us sometimes a little bit altered like in the case of the cornmeal shot the eyes give us the illusion of focus because we're familiar with what a guitar is and should look like.

How awesome!
Thanks for that man.
Another big tip and another thing to think about out there in the field.

#41 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

Yeah Brody, a lot of it is just looking at good photographers and asking, what the heck are they doing, how are they framing, what's in focus, things like that. A really good book for it is Jim Marshall's book "Proof". On one side of the page he's got the final image and on the other is all the negatives. So it becomes interesting to see the thought process and also what he kept and what he threw away
http://www.amazon.co..._pt#reader-link
Just wanted to throw another Sharon Jones shot up there from the other weekend.
Posted Image
Also got the Cornmeal and the Gene Ween Band shots up on thewaster.com
http://www.thewaster...oPage Temp.html
as well as more than a few shots up on jambands.com
of Cornmeal, Al Schnier, Allie Kral, and The Brew
and it looks like I'll be shooting Fiction Plane early Friday night at Arlene's Grocery
and then running straight over to the Canal Room for Pete Francis (of Dispatch) w/ Barefoot Truth.
http://www.rcbands.com/petebft/

#42 jagermonster

jagermonster
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

I love that one too jema!
jer, this is my fav thread, I loooove looking at your photos!
I have such a hard time fixing the dreaded red light shots, ugh.
I have some dbt photos i'd like to work on but my computer shit the bed and won't turn on so bye bye photoshop and the 50 bucks I spnt on a replacement cord that I can't use now. :cry:
anyone know how to pull a program off a computer that won't turn on?
anyways keep it up jeremy, lookin good!
Posted via Mobile Device Powered By Terrapin

#43 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

I have some dbt photos i'd like to work on but my computer shit the bed and won't turn on so bye bye photoshop and the 50 bucks I spnt on a replacement cord that I can't use now. :cry:
anyone know how to pull a program off a computer that won't turn on?
anyways keep it up jeremy, lookin good!
Posted via Mobile Device Powered By Terrapin

hmmm well if you need a copy of photoshop, I'm sure we can find you one somewhere, although I'm still on CS2 w/ a CS3 upgrade, I might not be the best one to ask. Let me know though.
a shot I took from the roof of work the other day.
Posted Image

#44 Moose

Moose
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

Nice lines J.
I'm always impressed.
ALWAYS.
Thanks for inspiring.

#45 bluebus240

bluebus240
  • VibeTribe
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Nice shooting, man!

Gene Ween show at Music Hall of Williamsburg was rescheduled for 2009-02-07
Did you happen to make that show? I was fortunate enough to be there...

anyway, can you give a little insight as to your equipment and camera settings, for us amateurs?

I am guessing you used ISO 3200, at least 1/250 sec, no flash ?

Thanks

#46 Moose

Moose
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

3200 would most likely cause a snowstorm of noise unless JG's using some nasty gear and I've missed it.

More than likely it's an issue of using say 200-400ISO and an f/1.8 or faster lens. I'll let JG fill you in on the details.

#47 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

Nice shooting, man!

Gene Ween show at Music Hall of Williamsburg was rescheduled for 2009-02-07
Did you happen to make that show? I was fortunate enough to be there...

anyway, can you give a little insight as to your equipment and camera settings, for us amateurs?

I am guessing you used ISO 3200, at least 1/250 sec, no flash ?

Thanks

Lets see they're up above on post #31. That was a pretty tough one and I did use flash a bit. Its actually something I've been trying to work on lately, even for better lit bars to get a bit more fill or to get slight a reflection in the eyes.
In fact I think all of the Dave Dreiwitz's shots have a little bit in them, for me its about finding that sweet spot between being able to actually see some detail and shouting out I'M USING FLASH
Posted Image

It was the only way I could get any front lighting on him. Its going slowly (learning to use flash), but its really a tool I need to have, it kills me when I realize I'm not going to get any decent shots that night when I leave a badly lit bar.
Really I love Williamsburg as a fan, with all the levels and the multiple bars, but for shooting there's no pit and more importantly not much front lighting, so I'm really starting to hold a grudge against it.
Hopefully I'll figure out something before The New Deal gets there.

Anyway, for the settings go here
click on the image and then below on the right click on "more properties" it'll give you an idea of where I was shooting. The Nikon D300 does go up to an ISO of 6400, but I really try not to take it past 1600 or 2000, it really starts to get noisy and you lose all the detail that I try so hard to get. Usually I try and sit between 800 & 1600 depending on the show.

(check out this guy with the Nikon D3 at ISO 5000, it almost makes me cry :lol: )
www.flickr.com/photos/friedpixphoto/3289143478

Looks like I was shooting around 1/125 for this one, but yeah if possible I try and stay in the 1/125 to 1/250 range, obviously sometimes you need to go lower, but you get a ton more misses that way.

#48 Moose

Moose
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

JG
Do you use noise ninja or anything similar? your shots are remarkably noise free for the ISO.

#49 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:41 PM

JG
Do you use noise ninja or anything similar? your shots are remarkably noise free for the ISO.

Not quite noise ninja, I tried it and didn't feel like I had enough control over it. I'd say some of the low noise is the camera itself. When I had the D50 the top ISO was 1600, but the sweet spot was around 800. For the D300 the top ISO is 6400, so sitting around 1600 still gets you a decent shot and as long as you don't push it too much farther in photoshop, you'll still be alright.
The other half of it is photoshop. Usually noise becomes apparent when its in an area of flat blackness or the out of focus areas, if its in the detailed area you don't notice it as much because there's so much going on. So at some point in the process I create a 2nd blur layer (either gaussian or smart) and then proceed to slowly erase out the areas on that layer that are in focus
Posted Image
in this photo (shot at 1600) normally the nose would show up in the smoke or in the black/red area at bottom right, but by blurring these areas it gets rid of the noise (and actually makes the face and hands look sharper)
ok lets get back to some photos
We got Pete Francis (formerly of Dispatch) and Barefoot Truth (out of Mystic Ct) at the Canal Room. Sort of light poppy music, a little Blues Traveler (with the harmonica) and Phish-esque (Sample in a Jar)
Very young crowd, but lots of room to dance and get up front, nice venue and terrific lighting too, I actually got the ISO down to 640 a few times, which was nice. :)
Pete Francis
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Pete and his wife Katie
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hopefully get these finished up and out to thewaster.com and the publicist. thewaster.com also put up the Sharon Jones shots if anyone is interested http://www.thewaster... photopage.html

#50 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

lets see wanted to run through some odds and ends here.

First off finally got a couple shots done from the Fiction Plane show at Arlene's Grocery. It was a fun quick set, although I think the highlight for me personally was having two of the guys sign my shots of them from Camp Bisco (silly me I only had a black sharpie and the shots were mostly black... duh)
Here's two of the shots.
Seton Daunt lead guitarist.
Posted Image
and Joe Sumner (Gordon Sumner's son)
Posted Image
looks more than a bit like his dad.
Posted Image

I wish I had more, but it was a tough shoot, mostly at an ISO 1600-2000 and pretty much whenever they moved around it got blurry or I lost focus (oh well)
Also over Christmas I had a chance to snap a couple pictures of Carla's cousin, Joey, man he's grown.
Here's from Easter.
Posted Image
Here's from Christmas
(working a bit with flash with mixed results and realizing I really need to gel lights indoor)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Also got a chance to revisit a few old shots of Zac Lasher (of U-Melt) from their Highline gig back in Sept.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Also thewaster.com has the rest of the shots up from Pete Francis and Barefoot Truth
http://www.thewaster... photopage.html
and has me on assignment to catch the former lead singer of The New Pornographers at the Bowery on Sunday, so that should be an interesting experience.