• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

So I found a tick on Pogo this morning.

We've already removed it (looks like we got the whole thing) and doused the area in tea tree oil (that stuff is amazing!) but is there anything else that needs to be done? Can dogs get Lyme disease? Should I give her a dose of that topical heartworm/flea medication stuff? I have some leftover from last year, but I don't think you are supposed to administer it until they have had a heartworm test (most likely negative, there are no mosquitos yet and we administered it all thru the mozzy season last year.) I'd prefer not having to incur a visit with the vet, but will take her if I have to.

It was a brown tick, and fairly flat so I guess it hadn't been there for too long - that said, unless it was somehow in the house, she'd have had to pick it up when outside yesterday b/c she hadn't been out this morning before I found it on her. I've only ever seen white ticks before.

Ugh, I know ticks can be a problem in this region, but I didn't think we'd end up dealing with them so soon. :sad:

#2 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Yea, with the warm weather, the ticks are out. Found
one on my hand (not bitten me yet) the other day after
a walk in the woods.

Dogs can get Lyme disease.

If the tick was not on there long (a couple hours)
and certainly if it was still flat / not engorged,
Pogo should be safe.

Not sure what heartworm / flea medication has
to do with ticks. But get some Frontline or
the other one.... Vectra.

They can always give the dog DOXYCYCLINE
if he starts to show signs of Lyme...but I think
he's safe.

#3 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

And remember to check yourself after the dog's been out - I've
been bitten more than once after the dog came in and a tick
left him to crawl onto me.

#4 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info, Jabba. I guess with there being ticks out there already, and us right in the woods, I am going to have to check over over every night just to be safe. The tick was flat as a pancake, so hopefully it hadn't been there too long and won't be an issue.

I have Revolution - it's selamectin and says that it is for "the treatment and control of fleas, ear mite, mange mite, and ticks, as well as the prevention of heart worm" Wonder if I should give her a dose just in case, since this could be an ongoing thing now... The package directions say that it's okay to administer to animals with heart worm, but that they recommend testing for it first - I really don't think she'd have that tho, considering that we've been good about keeping it on the monthly administration schedule, altho we don't use it in the winter when there have been no mosquitos.

#5 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

And remember to check yourself after the dog's been out - I've
been bitten more than once after the dog came in and a tick
left him to crawl onto me.

Ugh, good call - I am going to be very aware of the whole tick thing from here on in! :shocked:

Can you feel them biting you, or does the site get itchy or is it just a look and see thing? I guess this is why they can go undetected - what nasty little buggers!

#6 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have Revolution - it's selamectin and says that it is for "the treatment and control of fleas, ear mite, mange mite, and ticks, as well as the prevention of heart worm" Wonder if I should give her a dose just in case, since this could be an ongoing thing now... The package directions say that it's okay to administer to animals with heart worm, but that they recommend testing for it first - I really don't think she'd have that tho, considering that we've been good about keeping it on the monthly administration schedule, altho we don't use it in the winter when there have been no mosquitos.

I don't know about "Revolution". I used to give Jeebus the
"Heartguard" medication every month. Get Pogo some
heartworm protection - you don't want that to happen.

#7 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Ugh, good call - I am going to be very aware of the whole tick thing from here on in! :shocked:

Can you feel them biting you, or does the site get itchy or is it just a look and see thing? I guess this is why they can go undetected - what nasty little buggers!

Often you don't know they bit you. Run your hands around all of
your skin to feel for them. Don't forget back of your neck, arm
pits...everywhere. Or you can have a friend look -- there's always
an upside :wink:

#8 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Lola,

I'm sure you dislike using any tick flea/flea preventives on Pogo as much as we do on Darla.
On one of our last camping trips all of the pooches were all happily playing together all weekend and one of the dogs apparently had fleas.
Shortly after we got home we heard reports from other owners that their dogs picked them up also... even those with Frontline or flea collars.

We've been using Advantix per our Vet for the past few years and not found 1 single tick, alive or dead on ever Darla since.
With other meds we usually found a dead tick still attached.
It also seems to help keep mosquitoes and biting flies off of her, and we were one of the few who did not end up with an infestation from "the flea incident." :cool:

jim

Edited by Jim, 22 February 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#9 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Is the Advantix the type where you put the drops on the back of the neck?

I will definitely inquire about this when we take Pogo in for her annual check-up this spring - thanks for the tip!

#10 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Is the Advantix the type where you put the drops on the back of the neck?

I will definitely inquire about this when we take Pogo in for her annual check-up this spring - thanks for the tip!

Yes, but not just the neck directions have you place it in 3 positions down the dog's back.
Also be sure to get the one for your dog's weight range, and the best to prices around are online... the vet was at least 2x as much for the same meds.

#11 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Argh! Found another fucking tick on her this morning!!! :bang: This one wasn't flat, either. Gah, maybe I need to take her to the vet for Lyme medicine? Guess I need to order that Advantix today, as well....

#12 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,637 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

She likely does not have lyme. Unless there are symptoms I think most
vets won't suggest the blood test or the meds. But yes, get some kind
of tick protection now. It will be protecting not only Pogo, but you too.

PS: I found my vet's price on Heartguard, Frontline, and Vectra to be
almost exactly the same as online, maybe 5% more - so I chose to
support the local guy. But that may be unusual for the vet's price
to be that low.

#13 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

to be that low.

Believe it or not sometimes they will match the online price, just ask...

#14 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

UIt

#15 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

It sounds like a show... "stay tuned for TICK TALK with LOLA!" :lol:

#16 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

:lol:

I used to have an "around the bonfire" talk show called "Out Of The Frying Pan & Into The Fire with Clint and Dominant Nurse" when I lived in Texas. Yep, nightly enetertainment with me and lil' brother Clint around the bonfire... :funny1:

#17 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

to be that low.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound all Lyme paranoid! :funny1: This is just something really new to me - I have had one dog get *one* tick in all of the past 39 years of having dogs in my life, so finding two two mornings in a row seems like a real warning sign to me... I don't want Pogo or myself or Tyler to get sick.

I know someone who got Lyme and is still sick and can't work over four years later. I know it goes misdiagnosed frequently. I'm trying to be aware instead of paranoid, so thanks for all the info - I just want to be sure that if there is something I can do to prevent any of our family getting sick, that it will get done.

Ordering the Advantix today, we don't have a vet yet and I want to get this taken care of asap.

#18 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 28,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

:lol:

I used to have an "around the bonfire" talk show called "Out Of The Frying Pan & Into The Fire with Clint and Dominant Nurse" when I lived in Texas. Yep, nightly enetertainment with me and lil' brother Clint around the bonfire... :funny1:

:lol: Awesome!!

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Sorry, I don't mean to sound all Lyme paranoid! :funny1: This is just something really new to me - I have had one dog get *one* tick in all of the past 39 years of having dogs in my life, so finding two two mornings in a row seems like a real warning sign to me... I don't want Pogo or myself or Tyler to get sick.

You live in major tick territory now, but neverfear.
If you pull ticks daily, then it's highly unlikely that Lyme will be transmitted, as they need to be securely embedded for many hours for that to happen.
Learn the difference between the deer ticks (which may or may not transmit Lyme) and the much more common wood ticks (which do not transmit Lyme).
Chances are good that your dog will collect a good number of ticks over the years, so it's best to just get used to it.

#20 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ugh, they are soooo freakin' gross! I made Tyler pull the one out yesterday, and I did the one today since he was in the shower... I was just like, "whelp, I'll prolly have to get used to this sooner rather than later..." It's fucking disgusting, but now that i've done the one, I can do the rest.

Good to know they have to be there for some time and it's not immediate. I'm going to be mindful to check her (and us!) every night that we spend time in the woods. Which for Pogo is every day like 20x a day. One night check, one morning check and pinch the buggers when I see's 'em! This is war!!! :troops: :funny1:

I can't tell which is which from what I have seen on the interwebz thus far, but I will learn what I can.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Seriously.

Ticks are icky. :fierce:

#21 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Deer ticks are teeny tiny - like the size of the head of a pin and smaller and can be very hard to see.
Wood ticks can get as big as a fingernail.

#22 LisaMarie

LisaMarie
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ticks are gross, you and Tyler are going to have to check yourselves and Pogo every time you come inside from being in the woods. Pogo will be fine once you start using Advantix.
Darla also gets a lyme disease vaccine. They make them for dogs but not for humans.

#23 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

This ticks were big and tan/brown coloured. I guess they were wood ticks.

Deer ticks are tiny?! :eek: Jeez, talk about the unseen enemy... :moose:

Thanks for the tip on the Lyme vaccine, LisaMarie. I'l make sure Pogues gets that when we do her annual in the spring. Wonder why there's one for animals but not us humans? :dunno: I'd get one and risk the chance of autism... :funny1:

#24 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Lyme_disease

#25 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Why can't they just stick to wild animals and leave us domestics alone? :dunno:

#26 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Posted Image

#27 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Posted Image

I love it! :mrgreen:

#28 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, I was feeling like I need a break from my werk today and this is what happened. :funny1: