the fastest easier homemade bread ever.....beer bread

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

last night I made this while we were watching Coraline..... as some one who does make bread from scratch pretty often I have to say I might never do it again! (ok that's a lie!) This loaf came out perfect - size, taste, texture and the prep time was literally about 5 min and then 45 - 1hr in the oven. This would probably serve 4-6 with dinner.

You need to make this in some kind of loaf pan or glass casserole type dish (I used an oval coring ware type thing that I make mac & cheese in usually about 4" across by 8" long)

3 c sifted flour (or stir it up well w a spoon so its not all compacted)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 c sugar
1 12oz beer (I used a beck octoberfest....the tastier the better!)
1/4 c (1/2 a stick) butter melted

1) mix all the dry ingredients
2) stir in the beer
3) pour mix into a greased (I sprayed w pam) container
4) pour melted butter over top
5) bake at 375 for 45 min - 1 hr (till toothpick comes out clean - it was 55 min for me)
6) flip container over (bread should slide right out with a little jiggle) and serve

you can also add cheese, nuts, fruits, sub brown sugar, use some wheat flour etc

I assume the alcohol burns off in the oven but if you are worried you can sub any other sparkling (ie carbonated) beverage

#2 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,225 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

Sounds easy!! I'm def. gonna try it!!! Thanks!

#3 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

I baked this again last night to go with the tortilla soup that I made for dinner and I used this "summer brew" beer that was accidentally purchased (half hard lemonade/ half beer)....it came out amazing....

so the lesson is if you have some questionable beer you need to use this is a great option!

#4 FairMaidenMcree

FairMaidenMcree
  • VibeTribe
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:56 AM

I LOVE beer bread
esp with various beers

I make it a lot with soup and a salad....quick, easy, yummy

another more simple recipe:

3 1/2 cups self rising flour
12 oz of beer

same directions

I have also added cheese and garlic and made cool biscuits with the dough (brushed with an herb butter after baking...delish)

#5 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

yum. :drool:

#6 reveur

reveur
  • VibeTribe
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:03 AM

trying now with shipyard pumpkinhead...

edited to add..the only way dhs will consume pumpkinhead...

great with beef stew!

Edited by mrs deadheadskier, 10 November 2009 - 02:50 AM.
update!

#7 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

2 loafs are going in the oven for my party tonight! both w becks octoberfest (found in the back of a cabinet!)

I am temped to add cheese but they are going to be for dipping in the fondue and I even though I have yet to find it apparently some people think there is such thing as too much cheese!

the pumpkin head sounds nice!!!!!

#8 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

I made whole wheat thyme walnut dark-beer bread last night - deeeelish!!!

#9 yurhighness

yurhighness
  • VibeTribe
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

i would be sure 2 use beer with alot of yeast to ensure that it rises well or self rising flours as someone else suggested. i have yet 2 make beer bread but may try it out at work today

#10 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

you need to use either self rising or add the baking powder/ salt to normal (ie all purpose) flour ..... but it must be a carbonated beer (so I don't think the guinness would work cause that has some nitrogen blend)

#11 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:53 PM

I've been noshing on my walnut-thyme beer bread biscuits for breakfast - they are fucking stellar and soooo easy to make.

I used a good dark beer and whole wheat flour rather than self-rising. Some salt and some baking powder, brown sugar and some melted butter, the walnuts and thyme - the biscuits are light and fluffy and rose up very nicely. Yep, this one's a winner.

I think they will become a regular in our house from here on in!

#12 deadfeat

deadfeat
  • VibeTribe
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:32 PM

We vote this bread as being tasty!!!! We just made it with bottle of flying dog porter that was left over from this weekend!!!!!:smile:

#13 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

I made this with Hoegaarten last night..delicious! My only comment was that the crust seemed really salty...I think next time we'll use unsalted butter. The hubby loves it--he ate 3 huge pieces. i can't wait to try it with different beers and wheat flour.

#14 one

one
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

I made this with Hoegaarten last night..delicious! My only comment was that the crust seemed really salty...I think next time we'll use unsalted butter. The hubby loves it--he ate 3 huge pieces. i can't wait to try it with different beers and wheat flour.

ALWAYS cook with unsalted butter.

#15 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

I made this on monday and it was so tasty. I made it with sly Fox Pale Ale(my fav) and used a yogurt instead of butter and added sea salt to the top crust. It was bangin. Thanks for recipe.

#16 one

one
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

most of the recipes posted here are pretty "pedestrian" but this one actually interests me and im going to try it. thanks!

#17 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

also a great way to eat this is toasted with butter and raw honey. great for breakfast on the go:smile:

#18 donna4128

donna4128
  • VibeTribe
  • 543 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

finally got around to making this exactly as the recipe states. YUMMY! a lil dense, a lil crunchy on the outside. delish!:heart:

#19 donna4128

donna4128
  • VibeTribe
  • 543 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

a lil dense, a lil crunchy on the outside. delish!:heart:

wait that describes me :heart:

#20 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

I just put a Green Flash Double Stoudt and Lagunitas Holiday Sucks loaf in the oven. Yummmy

It is alright to put two in the oven right? Never tried that before.

#21 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,953 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

I just put a Green Flash Double Stoudt and Lagunitas Holiday Sucks loaf in the oven. Yummmy

It is alright to put two in the oven right? Never tried that before.

As long as they're on the same rack and there's a couple inches space between them, it should be fine.

#22 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

i wimped out and did one at a time. the double stoudt was first. Oh man does that smell yummy:smile:

#23 Kashmir

Kashmir
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationA peaceful place, or so it looks from space

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Awesome!! Thanks for the recipe. I love beer bread and have beeen buying a mix from Tastefully Simple. I wanna kick myself for not just making it myself. It sounds so freekin easy :D