The Big Up to return in 2013!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:29 PM

The Big Up Music and Arts Festival announced today that it will be taking a one-year hiatus in 2012. According to a statement, festival organizers cite unforeseen circumstances as the cause for the hiatus, while including that plans are underway for a large scale festival event for 2013.

The following statement was released by the festival organizers on the festival's website and Facebook page:

Dear Friends and family of The Big Up and Shireworks Productions:
It is with much disappointment that we must announce that The Big Up will be taking an unexpected hiatus this year. However, in the face of this disappointment, we maintain the position that sacrifices must be made in order to keep an eye on the bigger picture.

[I]As a festival, we couldn

#2 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I guess they were afraid that the young women who were charity workers barred from entering and volunteering were gonna kick their ass.

:funny1:

#3 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

I guess they were afraid that the young women who were charity workers barred from entering and volunteering were gonna kick their ass.

It will give the charity workers plenty of time to get an actual agreement with the promoters for their volunteering efforts. :lol:

#4 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

It will give the charity workers plenty of time to get an actual agreement with the promoters for their volunteering efforts. :lol:

Agreement or not, they Big Uppers acted like assholes, It's not like there wasnt space for the two groups to work together. There's a long tradition of SHS working with other groups

#5 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

I also think The Rave Act may have something to do with them skipping town this year.

#6 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Royal you should probably know what you are talking about before you start throwing around a bunch of accusations. IT's too bad. They were probably the most successful small fest last summer in terms of growth and ticket sales. Looking forward to 2013.

#7 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

And I didn't mean to sound overly harsh but a lot of people from Albany and the surrounding area work hard to help this fest happen. Including some people that post on this board. Hopefully their efforts will pay off in 2013

#8 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

Agreement or not, they Big Uppers acted like assholes, It's not like there wasnt space for the two groups to work together. There's a long tradition of SHS working with other groups

I'm sure there was plenty of space for the two groups to work together, but without an agreement, the SHS volunteers come off to the festival staff as people trying to get into the fest for free. SHS having a long tradition working with other groups says to me that they should have been aware of their agreement with the festival organizers or lack thereof, prior to their arrival.

I heard two side of the Big Uppers being assholes story, but I wasn't there myself, so I can't comment on that. :dunno:

#9 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

SHS through tireless exposure, support and promotion, SHS played a big part in the rise of the small festival scene on the East coast. If there was a problem with there not being a signature, The Big Uppers should have given them the benefit of the doubt.

#10 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

Is there really any point in arguing about something that happened last summer? The fest is not happening. No need to kick people when they are down.

#11 Kuzsin

Kuzsin
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

...this is too bad...never got to hit this fest up yet...there's a fest called 51basecamp that is electronic driven for those who need some untz in the Albany area....

#12 deadphan

deadphan
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Was hoping this would happen and they'd have RAQ again. Hopefully it will actually happen in 2013, seems so many times a fest will say they're taking a year off never to return again...

#13 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Glad they will be back in 2013. :smile:

#14 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:25 AM

Glad they will be back in 2013. :smile:

Agreed!

#15 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

I got a chance to meet the promoter at RnR, he's a great dude :) I hope them nothing but success.

And Ryan I gotta disagree with you on this one. If they had no written agreement they shouldn't be surprised when they were turned away. Esp with it being their first ever festival. I'm sure they did everything as 'by the book' as possible.

I work every fest I go to, but I would never show up and be like 'well I'm Erin you gotta let me come in and work' I wouldn't go without prior arrangements.

#16 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

You people make it sound like I'm advocating showing up without an agreement. Of course an agreement is the prefered was of doing things. A mistake was made, unfortunately the Big Uppers didnt give a group that's supported this scene for many years a break and let them in.

#17 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

You people make it sound like I'm advocating showing up without an agreement. Of course an agreement is the prefered was of doing things. A mistake was made, unfortunately the Big Uppers didnt give a group that's supported this scene for many years a break and let them in.

How does collecting food support the scene? Sounds more like a way to get into shows for free and help others while doing it. Buying tickets supports the scene.

#18 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,697 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

How does collecting food support the scene? Sounds more like a way to get into shows for free and help others while doing it. Buying tickets supports the scene.

Exactly! Especially when considering that the festival had their own group hosting a food drive.

While I see what you're staying about the history of SHS in the scene Ryan, I also don't really see that carrying any weight with a first time festival.

#19 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

SHS through tireless exposure, support and promotion, SHS played a big part in the rise of the small festival scene on the East coast.

I wouldn't give SHS that much credit, and I was part of SHS for many years and support the cause 100%.

From my persepctive, both sides had some fault and both sides overreacted to the whole thing.

#20 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

As someone who has worked in the NPO world for a long time, I can tell you that ALL promoters have gotten stricter on the rules for NPOs over the years. There are legal liabilities to having a vendor or NPO on your site, no matter how well-intentioned they might be. Many fests use to just let insurance and official agreements slide. That's becoming a rare case nowadays. There's too much liability if someone gets hurt. Sucks that there was a misunderstanding or falling out between the event and SHS, but SHS has been around long enough to know that not all events are going to just let them slide through the door without an agreement or insurance because they are "do-gooders." Sorry, but that's the way it is. It's not clear to me that SHS has ever gained 501 c 3 status, though they've had many years to do so. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but if this is still the case many festivals would not embrace them as a NPO just for that. :dunno:

BTW - I fully support SHS's mission

#21 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Sean's right. We have to get insurance coverage just for the CT Food Bank bring their trucks on site for the food drive at Vibes, and they don't even have a presence in the NPO village.

Being an NPO at a festival in 2012 is completely different than being an NPO at a festival in 2002 or even 2007 for that matter. The rules have changed. Insurance companies don't care if you're a "do-gooder" or not. It's purely a matter of risk assesment and risk abatement to them.