Photo
- - - - -

Installing air conditioning in a VW bus?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:36 AM

Is this possible, has anyone done it?

#2 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:08 AM

Air cooled or water?

#3 ricksvw

ricksvw
  • VibeTribe
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:06 PM

I have, or should I say had AC in my vanagon, I took the belt off and dont use it. It robs sooooo much of the needed HP to run and takes over 1 hr to cool down. Unless on the highway for a long trip, windows open for me!

I have seen AC units installed in aircooled busses, a big thing under the passenger side dash was where it was mounted/kinda ate up a bunch of legroom and was ugly.

#4 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

Thanks so much for the replies! I would want a normal in-dash air conditioner, so that's air cooled; right? Would it be cheaper just to get a eurovan with it already in?
Rick, this would be for camping with our two dogs (and future kiddo), one who has a sensitivity to the heat and freaks out when it gets over 80 (she's blind and a bit agressive when she gets upset). We live about an hour south of Fresno,CA so it gets very hot.

#5 Pher

Pher
  • VibeTribe
  • 904 posts
  • LocationSaratoga Springs, NY

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

I have ac and ricksvw is right take away a lot of power why driving, my AC only works while driving doesn't get cold unless moving blows warm air while standing still anyone know what this could be, wortks great while moving though

#6 ricksvw

ricksvw
  • VibeTribe
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

Low on gas in the system maybe? Driving causes higher RPM for the pump to compress it better and make it work? Something like that...Or I am just full of freon.

#7 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:18 AM

You have to move lots of air through the evaporator to cool off that beast.
Make sure your evaporator fan is turning on as soon as you switch on the A/C, that's the way they are usually wired... but of course there were a lot of dealer installed non-Vdub A/C put in VW in general so :rolleyes:

I miss the quieter windows up driving, especially when near an 18 wheeler, more than my Vanagon's actual wimpy old A/C.

#8 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hmmm...this has proved harder than we thought..... What can we get that's not in-dash and won't affecdt the motor?

#9 Jim

Jim

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image:wink:

#10 ricksvw

ricksvw
  • VibeTribe
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:16 AM

Posted Image:wink:

When it comes to hippys! If there is the will, there is always a way!

Or there is this!
http://www.campingwo...onditioners/370

#11 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

very cool!

When it comes to hippys! If there is the will, there is always a way!

Or there is this!
http://www.campingwo...onditioners/370

#12 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

update, no bus for at least a year ):. my husband spent too much on a car last year and i was too strict with how short term i wanted the loan ):

#13 Lostsailr

Lostsailr
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

I just ripped out the compressor and much of the hose on my Air cooled 77 westie...a lot of weight for something that only hinders everything else about the bus. I have the under dash unit if anyone wants one (not to mention the compressor etc)
I had to make a new body tin piece to fill the gap, especially because apparently theyhad to cut a notch in the body work to make the compressor fit in the engine space.