What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

My son (he is 10 months old) has a new teacher in his daycare classs, and she is sketchy. Everything about her is sketchy. I'll go point by point:

• She is dirty, especially her feet, she doesn't wear socks and has festy foot daily
  • She lost custody of her first 2 kids, and is now pregnant with 3rd child by her x
  • Openly describes her divorce, lost custody battle
  • Invites dirty boyfriend into daycare to play guitar for the babies

I simply don't feel comfortable with her. She comes off as foney, and I can't trust her. There are other adults, I don't think she is ever alone with the babies, but still. After I came in the other day, and my son was playing with her dirty feet, I almost confronted her. But, I'm too nice. So I gave it a day, next day same thing.

She moved to NM from WA, for this job. I don't like anything about her, how she handles the babies.. her poor hygeine, her total lack of professionalism when delving into her personal life. It goes on.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I hate to be the person who causes a problem for someone else, but I feel like my child could be in danger. She doesn't appear to have much common sense, and I feel like it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong.

#2 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

Find another daycare that wouldn't keep someone with poor personal hygiene! Yuck.!!:eek:

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,903 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

Find another daycare that wouldn't keep someone with poor personal hygiene! Yuck.!!:eek:

This.

OR simply bring it to the management's attention. It is what it is. You have concerns and you should feel free to voice them.

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,474 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

OR simply bring it to the management's attention. It is what it is. You have concerns and you should feel free to voice them.

I would look for another daycare.

However if you do not think management is privy to the information that you are, I would voice concerns to them first.

#5 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Definitely talk to the daycare manager- no one should be handling babies who is dirty. That's disgusting.

I would also start looking for a new place, or recommend that the new teacher is moved to an older group of kids so your child wouldn't have to be around her.

#6 HappieKamper

HappieKamper
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationGun wavin' New Haven

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

Report her to the health department. (i don't know if that's even possible)

#7 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

I talked to the director this morning. Not sure what good it will do. She is hard to talk to during the morning, but I manage to get her in her office for 2 minutes to list the issues. She didn't reveal any kind of action plan. I guess I'll just see if anything changes in the next week, or else I'll take 2 more minutes of her time?

It's a great daycare, trust me, we searched hard and this is the best one we found. It's the fault of the teacher (and I suppose the daycare for hiring her.) But sometimes one slips through the cracks I guess.

On one slightly positive note, all the teachers were raving about how much the babies seemed to enjoy her boyfriends guitar playing :dunno:

#8 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

if you have actual concerns about this person - are they yours alone? I would imagine if this woman is as described others would be alarmed also.

Discuss with the other parents and get a feel.... you get a few parents on board with a legitimate concern you can be sure the Director will take action... or pretty sure.

and of course, we're gonna need a #1 ; it's much easier to be judgemental that way :lol:

good luck man!

#9 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

You're making me feel bad about bringing my kids to strangecreek :lol:

#10 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,410 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

first a teacher should have shoes on all day, (except if something happens...like they got peed on...totally possible in daycare trust me!)

is it possible to ask to have your son moved to another room?

Also PUT IT IN WRITING. Trust me, conversations mean nothing when it comes to matters like this. Also keep a running log of all the things (date/time) of things you observe.

Has her bf been screened? If not there is no way he should be allowed near the children often. Now if he was coming in to do a program with them that's one thing, but it sounds like he comes and goes as he pleases...which would not be cool if it were my kid.

You said you talked to the director for 2 minutes, mornings are MAYHEM in daycare centers. Would it be possible for you to make an appointment to sit and talk with her. You probably took her by surprise and she didn't have time to create an 'action plan'.

#11 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

I would remove my child. Someone who cannot keep custody of their own children has no business working in daycare. Hygiene would be the least of my concerns. Sketchy teacher w/ sketchy boyfriend visiting? :huh: NO WAY!

#12 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

You're making me feel bad about bringing my kids to strangecreek :lol:

Nah! SC kids would just tag her wookie ass :lol:

Posted Image

#13 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,865 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

A wise friend once told me, "Better to err on the side of caution," (in the interests of your child).

#14 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:38 AM

In all seriousness though, go with your gut. There's no room to be polite when your child might be threatened. Sorry but your child comes first & could you live with yourself if you had these doubts, ignored them & something happened? Not worth it IMO <3

#15 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Nah! SC kids would just tag her wookie ass :lol:

Posted Image

"Don't touch that wook! You know where he's been!"

#16 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts