• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:19 PM

I'm beginning to get into long endurance training as I've learned that I prefer going long and slow over short and fast. Umm, yeah...*ahem*. So I'm going to make my new goal to begin focusing on being race ready for a Half Ironman triathlon next July in Geneva, NY to celebrate my 38th birthday.

Musselman Triathlon: http://www.musselman.../musselman.html

1.2 mile swim - 56 mile bike - 13.1 mile run

I'm figuring it's going to be a long painful winter at the gym this year. I'm currently enjoying the long cycle rides and runs outside and imaging my having to spend 5-6 sweaty hours on the spinning bikes and treadmills at the gym is less than appealing right now. So I'm sure I'll have lots of gripes, moans and achy realizations to post in this thread in the coming months.

I hope 'ol Thunder & Lightning are up to the task.

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Facium
"I'll either find a way or make one"

#2 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

:thup: i look forward to reading about your gripes, moans and achy realizations. i'm sure they will be as entertaining as anything else you've written ;)

#3 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

I completed a half marathon yesterday and another 120k ride this morning, so I've had a lot of time this weekend to reflect on this whole crazy train of year I've had. By this season's finish (October) I will have completed 5 sprint distance triathlons (2 more than my original goal), 1 half marathon and another 10k fun run at the Toronto Zoo just for giggles.

In order to prepare for all this, to date, I've put exactly 2126k on my bike, swam the equivalent of crossing Lake Ontario and back - twice - and can run further than I ever could in the past. I've discovered so much about myself and have grown from it all. I've tested my limits mentally, physically and emotionally and realized that I am capable of pushing them far beyond what I would ever have imagined in the beginning. And even while writing this, I am preparing to take myself to the next level - all in a rather short amount of time. I'm even planning to turn my humble little apartment into a torture den for the winter in order to train for the longer, more grueling distances still to come.

Whoever knew that only four years ago that my life would take such an incredible U-turn? Contemplating this all at the crack of dawn this morning while rolling past orchards and vineyards made quite the emotional impact on me. It was about as close to euphoric as I'm ever going to get. I'd tell you it almost brought a tear to my eye, except that Ironmen don't cry - they sweat.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Chapter Two will be interesting to say the least.

#4 moonstone

moonstone
  • VibeTribe
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

Yeah!!! :dance: I can't wait to hear stories.

I do my first triathlon this weekend. I haven't run in months trying to heal the PF, but I will have a killer swim and an okay bike.

I was swimming today envisioning coming out first from the swim. :lol: Long shot, but that will be my strength and my LOVE of all sports!!!

I know nothing about Tris and am going to go into pretty blind. I just want to finish (and kick some swimmers butts!) :v:

#5 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,295 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:29 AM

Good luck!

no triathlons for me, thank you :lol:

I actually have been preferring interval / sprint work lately for cardio

#6 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:20 AM

Finished my fifth and last triathlon of the season last weekend in Wasaga Beach with an official time of 1:29:36. I could have done it faster but I've been spending my time lately training on longer distances as opposed to preparing for the shorter, faster races. But it was an awesome day: swimming out into Lake Huron, a cycle ride through scenic cottage country and a run along the beach boardwalk. Oh, and the weather was glorious and warm to boot.

So I'm very happy with how my season has tuned out so far. I've had the summer of my life actually. And tomorrow I'm testing 'ol Thunder and Lightning one last time and pitting them in the local 'Run for the Grapes'; a 21.5k half marathon.

I'm not sure how this will go yet, but I think they're up to one last challenge.

#7 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

Half Marathon complete: 2:15:32

http://www.sportstat...=ST. CATHARINES

'ol Thunder and Lightning are sore.

#8 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

Congratulations!

All best with your winter of torture.

#9 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

I haven't responded for a while so thought I'd take the opportunity now to let anyone still curious about my Ironman journey.

Training is going well, despite some small setbacks over the holidays with my health. I have a weekly training plan (actually, I have 4 weekly training plans I can rely on depending on the week) to stick to to ensure I get in my required 3 spins, 2 long runs, 2 swims, weights, yoga, and core strengthening routines each week for the next seven mnths. This is all going to accumulate to 16-25 hours a week of tough physical and mental training (mental now more than ever I am finding with long distance endurance training).

By 2012, I am aiming to be ready to compete in a real full Ironman competition. I am considering the Ironman South Africa, Ironman China, Ironman Malaysia, or Ironman Wisconsin currently.

Wish me luck. For now, I'm off for a two hour spin.

#10 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

That's awesome, T. Best of luck.

Wish I'd known you were in Geneva a while back. It's just down the road.

#11 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

Wow. I'm awed by your training! :eek:

Go international for your first Ironman- screw Wisconsin. :lol:

#12 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Training is going well. I'm loosing more weight, getting stronger on my runs and am relatively pain free. I am still intending to compete in a 31k (3/4 marathon) at the end of March in anticipation for preparing for the Half Ironman in Geneva, New York this July. I have saved enough now for a proper triathlon racing bike this summer which I am VERY excited about. I have also further committed to the Cancun 70.3 Half Ironman in summer of 2011 (featuring a swim in crystal clear waters, cycling past the Mayan ruins and a run through gorgeous rain forest) as I want to begin branching out into more International events. For 2012, I'm intending to commit to the whole Full Monty by competing in the Ironman Japan competition. Anyone interested in making the trip as my nurse maid (read that as fetching margaritas on the beach and administering the odd calf massage)?

The immediate challenge now, however, is to relocate my training routine to the Philippines for one month. My goal is to maintain - as close to possible - my current training schedule in all three disciplines (swimming, cycling, running). Challenges will be, preparing my own meals from the rather intimidating local markets as well running in the 93-degree heat against the traffic, pollution, crime, congestion and, oh yeah...did I mention the fucking heat? To boot, I have to find a public pool in Manila large enough to get my 2-3k swims in weekly.

This should be interesting...

#13 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

you can do it anywhere. :) have you got a dedicated training blog up yet?

#14 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

Thought I'd pop in to offer this thread a little update. At current writing I am 204lbs and dropping still. Personalized blog coming soon... ;)

Training is going very well. Up to this point, I have been primarily focusing on my running as that is my weakest of the three disciplines. As such, I have been running an excess of 30-50k a week for the past few months. I recently completed a very difficult half marathon (21k) in Bonifacio Global City in Manila, Philippines last month (2:04:27). I had originally hoped for a sub-2 hour run, but the course was nearly all uphill, in 94-degree heat and a humidity of 74% by 6:15am - you could practically lick the air. I fought through dehydration, pollution and extreme heat exhaustion and still managed to chase down all five members of the Manila triathlon team taking their last member in a sprint at the finish (very exciting day moment in my life). I have also recently completed a sub 3 hour 3/4 marathon (2:56:00) in Hamilton this past Sunday in North America's oldest race - the 'Around the Bay 30k'. This puts me on par for possibly completing a 4 hour marathon if I keep up with it by the end of the summer. But we'll see...

My training now switches over to the bicycle now that the nice weather is finally here. To help, I have saved up for and purchased this sexy piece of machinery here:

Posted Image

This is what I intend to train on for the next two years and ride in the Japan Ironman 2012. Her name is "Lucille". Lucille and I will need to be out riding for 200-250km (124-155 miles) a week now starting mid-April up until a few weeks before Geneva's Half Iron this coming July.

Swimming is going well. My stroke has improved dramatically and I am now covering approximately 6-10k (3.5-5 miles) comfortably a week - my shoulders are getting huge! I've had to drop my yoga classes though as there just isn't enough time in the week to spend with Miso after a my running, spinning, swimming, etc. So now, we do a light yoga session together at home to Judge Judy. I think the cat is beginning to get the hang of it. I stretch; he licks...I balance; he rolls over on his belly...etc.

So all in all, things are going good and "Mission: Half Iron" is on!

Here's some recent motivation for me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-XLnNR-64"][/ame]

#15 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

That's a gorgeous bike! Always rooting for you. :jam:

#16 NJFunk

NJFunk
  • VibeTribe
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

Nice wheels, dude. Good luck with that...

#17 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:38 AM

You might want to get some pedals for that.

Glad you are meeting your goals! :clapping:

p.s.
I can both fetch and rub.

#18 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:27 AM

Different kind of post today.

Training is going well, but mentally it's become really tough for several reasons. Recent bad weather has made outdoor training difficult and uncomfortable, but I can chalk it up to "mental toughness" training as these same elements can come into play on race day and, Lord knows, I had my fair share of shitty weather last year come race time. But still, it's harder to motivate yourself out the door when the temperatures are dipping below zero or the cold rain is numbing you to the bone. But onward and forward, right? I'm still looking forward to the more traditional summer weather to train in.

Even more difficult recently, is the whole social thing - or lack there of. I've started battling loneliness and depression, or whats otherwise known as "long distance fever". My long training days have largely created a situation where I'm alone - a lot - like, even more than normal. It's hard to socialize on 100k bike rides, or while you're focusing on not drowning. Friends don't really call anymore because they know I need to be up early, I'm missing out on quality time with my new niece Indiana (I've even had to resort to carrying a picture of her with me on all my long runs and rides), my family are no longer terribly interested in hearing about my training stories and just pass me by in conversation, and recent dating interests have simply fizzled out because I just can't commit to lavishing them with the attention and outings they seem to expect. Just because this is a big priority of mine, doesn't mean that I don't have room for another.

In short, I'm bummed out...but I'm persevering. I guess this is just all part of the deal and I have to learn to cope with this as well. This whole adventure has become too important to me to give up on now. I'm going to do this whatever the cost. Sure, I'd love someone to support me, comfort me and motivate me but that's just not happening. Whatever...I can do this alone. I started this whole crazy train and I'm determined to finish it...

"Persistence, not intelligence, is the true measure of potential".
- Winston Churchill

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIUM ("I'll either find a way, or make one")

#19 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

:heart: That sucks!! At least you're getting close to race day, right? When is it? After that you can get back to normal life. :heart: Who knows you might meet the love of your life at the race. :wink:

#20 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:09 AM

Alright! It's business time.

Registered today for two short (God, I can't believe I'm saying that) races in Woodstock (1000m Swim | 32km Bike | 8km Run) on June 6th and here in Welland (750m Swim | 30km Bike | 7.5km Run) on June 23rd. There's no breaks between now and then however as these are intended "warm up" races for the Half Iron in July. In fact, I even have an additional bike work out only a few hours after the Welland race just for good measure...I think my coach has a masochistic tendency. I'm simply getting more familiar with my transitions now and starting to put it altogether.

On another side note, I got my tri-outfit today and, low and behold, I fit into it! So I'm very happy I can race now in proper attire and actually not look like a hobo on the race course. Tri clothes are typically not designed for larger people, so just being able to fit into my team uniform this year is a real thrill. Even if I completely suck out, at least I'll suck out looking good.

I'll update with the race results afterwards.

#21 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Completed my first significant Brick this morning. A 102k ride followed by a simple 15 minute run for approximately 3k. Good Lord, if I was nervous about running 21k before...I'm petrified now.
It prompted me to brainstorm the three cardinal rules of triathlon:

1) Thou Shalt Not Stop
2) Thou Shalt Not Rest
3) Thou Shall Sucketh It Up and Taketh Like a Man

Oh, with the possibility of a fourth:

4) Think Happy Thoughts

#22 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:14 AM

woodstock, ny? always rooting for you, holmes. are there triathlete message boards? perhaps there's a female who digs doing long training runs, good music and you, out there.

#23 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

Finished today with an amazing time (for me) of 2:04:07 in the longest race I have participated in to date. To put that in perspective, I was doing shorter distance races in longer time last year and didn't feel nearly as strong or non-fatigued as I did today. My hard efforts in training this year are really paying off dividends it seems.

Quote of the Day (an onlooker as I passed): ""Holy shit! Look at THAT guy go..."

I exited the water (1000m) in a time of 17:48 just behind the elite men and way ahead of my own wave behind me and completed a 33k bike in 1 hour, 1 minute. I'm not so much a fast runner as I am a persistent runner (I train for marathon distances now, not short distance) but I still managed to complete a sub-45 minute run to end it off.

To my amazement I finished 4th in my age category and 54th overall (203 participants). Last year I was lucky to finish in the top half; this year I'm 45 seconds out of medal contention.

Next tune up race is in Welland (a bit shorter) on June 26th: 750m swim, 30k bike and 7.5k run...then it's "Bring on Ironman!"

#24 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

woo! I was on the danskin (women's leotards and stuff) site, the other day, and I noticed they have some tri gear. I love to swim, and i'm sure I could train that and the bike part, but i've never really run. any advice for someone who has never run except to catch a bus or when being chased, before? I figure even if I just get the boardwalk down (almost 3 miles, each way), that'll still be fabulous.

#25 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:09 AM

Sarah - Buy decent shoes and start running short distances and increase by 10% each week. It's really that easy. Walk if you have to, but try to keep with it. Slow and long, that's the secret...

Also, there is such a thing as a "Aquathon" or Aquabike which is a long swim followed by a long bike (for people who can't run safely due to injury, etc.). Some Aquathons are even swim-bike-swim but they're not as popular yet.

-------------------------------------------

This will be my last post before my Half Ironman event in Geneva, NY on July 11th.

I'm confident but absolutely scared shitless at the same time. I've been tapering off for the past two weeks now so although I'm still active and training, I'm not as fatigued and am feeling pretty strong and itching to get going. Since April 1st of this year, I have swam 75 kilometers (47 miles), biked 1520 kilometers (945 miles) and ran 295 kilometers (184 miles) - give or take a few km/miles.

My swim stroke is as near perfect as possible and my swim times are continually improving still - my strongest of the three tends to be the initial swim actually (in a race two weekends ago I finished a 750m swim in under 12 minutes). My biking technique has improved drastically and I enjoy the longer distances and I am now the guy who pushes the pace and passes other people as opposed to the guy continually being passed. And my run? Well, my run still sucks balls (running is not fun) but I'm now clocking -60 minute 10k splits...and that's off the bike. Not bad for a fat guy, eh?

More interesting now is the whole psychological build up of the thing in my mind coming into the last few days before the race. I am having regular nightmares of my legs not working, or bike crashes and even worse - drowning. But apparently this is - ahem - normal? Wow. Really? I don't like that so much. But whatever doesn't kill you I guess...

I have my race day nutrition planned out, Lucille is kitted out and ready, and I've practiced my T1/T2 transitions a thousand times. I have my tunes queued up in my iPod for a quick pre-race motivational jump start and a small laminated wallet-sized photo of my niece to carry with me for, I dunno, added will power maybe. All I have to do now is get there and not pussy out last minute and hide under the hotel bed - enter Slabbidy Blodahead who's job it will be to stuff me in my wetsuit and drag my ass to the starting line.

Besides completing it, not dying or having to stop I have two goals in mind. My first realistic goal is for 6 hours 30 minutes and my secondary "Holy Shit, You're the TITS!" goal of -6 hours if everything goes amazingly well (it's a stretch, but I think it's in my ability). I won't be disappointed if I don't finish under 6 hours but, hey, I've surprised myself in the past.

So that's it sports fans. My next post sometime after July 11th will be - God willing - my race result.

Wish me luck.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"

#26 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Slabbidy, don't forget the vasoline.

All best wishes Crazytigerrabbitman. There is nothing you cannot do, the force is stong in you. :clapping: :heart:

#27 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:46 PM

I can't believe it's been nearly a year training for this event and now it's over and I am happily disappointed with the results, so to speak.

I am very happy that I accomplished it and that I even made my ultimate target of completing in under 6 hours (5:56:14), but the race didn't go the way I had envisioned it or as well as I know I could have run it. I had an excellent swim (35:17) for the 1.2 miles and an incredibly strong bike (2:52:34) but my run turned into my total Waterloo. For the record, out of the gang that I train and competed with, I had the second fastest swim and the fastest bike leg which is something I'm extremely happy about. However, about 3 minutes into the bike course I was zapped by a yellow jacket about 4-5 times on my left knee before I could pull him off. Where it didn't seem to affect my pedaling or bike time so much, it sure made it very uncomfortable and challenging. Eventually the numbness kicked in and I could carry on. During the run however, the sting started to burn and really ache forcing me to walk for brief intervals and thereby breaking my own "Triathlete Commandments"...hence, my disappointment. As a result, my half marathon time was no where near what I know I'm capable of (2:25:08). I managed to only limp across the finish line to make my goal...definitely not the strong finish I had envisioned.

So, I guess I will have to do it all over again next year to see how I well I can really do (providing I also don't get attacked by a crazy winged insect). Next year, the goal will be 5 hours 45 minutes and it will have to be the preparation race for the Cancun 70.3 in September.

Over all it was a great race and I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and am very proud of my accomplishment. As for now, I get a week off of swimming, biking and running before setting new challenges for the remainder of the season. I'd still like to get 1-2 more Olympic distance races in before fall.

#28 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:04 AM

cool. :)

#29 zainelia

zainelia
  • VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

wish you all the best!

#30 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:45 AM

I need a new goal. I've enjoyed the rest but I'm going nuts now and need to get back to working towards something. My coach has finally given me the green light to start training again in earnest.

So I'm registering for a 100k Charity Ride for Cancer in September, which is not a race really but more of a training opportunity to go for a really long ride into the countryside and raise some money for a good cause. Let it never be said that I don't appreciate me some healthy breasts. As well, I'm signing up for the Lakeside Olympic triathlon in London, Ontario (1.5k swim, 55k ride, 10k run) to finish off the racing season. The course is supposed to be beautiful, flat and fast... and I sure likes me a flat and fast course.

Then, it's all about dropping the weight and running my ass off come hell, sleet, snow or subzero wind through the winter. Oh joy. It's going to be a long season next summer with two Half Iron events and a possible full marathon. I thought I had come pretty far this year - and I did - but I am also realizing that I have only just been developing an endurance base with which to begin improving on. Sometimes I think this is all pretty awesome, other times I think "what the fuck am I doing?"

So my proposed 2011 training schedule begins on January 2nd of the new year, with the following training instructions from my coach:

1. Put your affairs in order (that means your will, dipshit. Seriously...do it!)
2. Long 25k run - race pace.

Holy shit.

Whatever. I'm willing to see where this all goes.
It's going to be interesting to say the least.

#31 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:47 AM

i'm proud of you, terry. not only are you an amazing story teller, you're now an ass-kicking athlete. admirable, to say the least! :heart:

#32 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Whenever I get that "what the eff am I doing" thought whilst running I pretend that I leave it exactly where i thought it and then I run as fast as I can away from it.

I am starting training-in-earnest next Tuesday for my first Marathon (which is next march).

#33 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

I am starting training-in-earnest next Tuesday for my first Marathon (which is next march).

That's on my radar now as well. I have two half Irons planned next summer, then it's the full marathon and Ironman in 2012. As for this new year (2011), I will probably compete in a 30k race again (12.5k short of the full 42.5k marathon) as I need to work on my running more.

Good luck, bud! Keep me updated with your progress.

#34 jam kids on their vespas

jam kids on their vespas
  • VibeTribe
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

Ironman 2012 as in THEE (Hawaii) Ironman 2012?

You, sir, are an animal (and a fish, and some sort of super-evolved animal that has learned how to ride a bike).

#35 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:04 AM

You, sir, are an animal (and a fish, and some sort of super-evolved animal that has learned how to ride a bike).

It's been a long strange trip, bud.

Hawaii is the world championships; I'm going to attempt Ironman Japan providing they get that chicken flu under control.

#36 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

I know it's not "running" related, but I completed my 100k "Big Move" bike ride for Cancer Research this past Sunday.

It wasn't a race, but you wouldn't know it by how quickly the front cyclists went out...myself included. At the 30k point I blew a flat and pulled out of the lead group. No biggie, I wanted to socialize anyway but sometimes I just can't help myself. I met Bruce, a 72 year old survivor who is training to ride from Vancouver to Austin, TX in March and this was his first century ride in 25 years. I met a 48-year-old mother of three who could attack hills like they weren't there. I pulled along three gentlemen - all in their 80's - from Manitoba...they drafted behind me for the next 13k into the wind until we reached the half way checkpoint and I continued on (I'm not one for breaks once I start). And for the last 50k I just hauled ass to see how much time I could make up and ended catching the main group from the 50k ride that left well after ours and got to play cat n' mouse with them for the rest of the way in and even sprinted at the end (Remember - this was an organized charity ride). Daisy did awesome overall and she has - so far - clocked in at a little over 2300km's since May, so she's definitely earned herself a trip to the bike shop for some spoiling.

Now, if I can just get my running back online then maybe I stand an idiot's chance of placing in my age category this weekend in London, ON. I rode Lucille tonight and she feels good and is ready to go. I love Daisy, but Lucille has her fine qualities as well.

Anyway, wish me luck:

http://www.msctriath....cfm?raceID=333

#37 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:33 AM

((thunder and lightning))
rock it like you're being chased. :jam:

#38 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Awesome, just awesome. :wink: I like that you're social and helping people along- there's so much competetiveness in races it's nice to hear about others who are helping people out. :wink:

#39 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:51 PM

Awesome, just awesome. :wink: I like that you're social and helping people along- there's so much competetiveness in races it's nice to hear about others who are helping people out. :wink:

This the major reason why I fell in love with endurance sports; everyone seems to recognize how much effort it takes to either compete, or just complete. The hardest part of any triathlon, marathon, century ride, whatever...is just getting to starting line. Therefore there is lots of friendly encouragement, cheers and well wishes along the course from spectators and racers alike.

#40 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:38 AM

Finished the Lakeside Olympic triathlon today in a total comedy of errors.

I arrived 25 minutes late after getting helplessly and hopelessly lost in the middle of nowhere with crappy directions. As I was pulling in with the car, the swimmers were beginning to exit the water - not a good sign. I rushed to register with my bike, get set up in my wetsuit, snatched up a swim cap from another racers transition mat (they had already exited and left on the bike) and rushed into the water at full boar. The Race Marshall, at first, wasn't going to allow me to start as he didn't think I could make the cut off time being 34 minutes late already (The Olympic swim cut-off time is 1 hour), but the crowd cheered on my behalf for him to at least let me try...and he agreed reluctantly. I have never swam 1500m in under 28 minutes before and here I now only had 24 minutes. Believe it or not, I managed to exit with 1:30 to spare - talk about cutting it close - my shoulders felt like they were going to fall off. The crowd absolutely exploded when I stood up out of the water as they had all stuck around to see if I made the cut-off. Turns out - unbeknownst to me - the Marshall's boat had been chasing behind me for the last 750m loop threatening to catch me and, therefore, disqualify me.

Already an hour now behind the other riders who had long ago finished the swim, I mounted Lucille and made it on the course seconds before the sweep truck also started. I hauled ass trying to catch someone - anyone - so that I wasn't last position anymore. I remember hearing a race official over their walkie-talkie: "#64 is finally on the course". By the 25k mark I began to catch the slower riders and by the 35k I had caught some more of the back of the pack...so I was back in the race at least. When I dismounted my bike, the crowd roared again - it was awesome.

The run went okay, but I had spent nearly everything in both the swim and ride just trying to get back in the race. I struggled to a 58 minute run (10k) and I know I can do better. The crowd kept me going throughout though so I managed to finish strongly and in good spirits. I don;t get an "official" time as they never gave me a time chip, but my stop watch had me clocked at 2 hours, 56 minutes. I had originally wanted to come in at under 3 hours so I did manage to do that at least.

So, sports fans, that concludes another fine year of triathlon racing. Bittersweet finish I guess. I am SO ready for a brief break, then it's back to working on my running, squash, weights and yoga....all at a slow pace.

but no pains and apart from exhaustion...felt pretty good. Afterward, I got a special commendation from the announcer at the award handouts for completing the race despite starting a half hour late and, again, the crowd loved it. I felt like a celebrity. Bummer side is that I didn't get a time chip since I missed the official registartion...but I don't care as I kept my own time (2:56:34). A very bittersweet finish to an otherwise awesome racing season!

#41 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:41 AM

Finished the Lakeside Olympic triathlon today in a total comedy of errors.

I arrived 25 minutes late after getting helplessly and hopelessly lost in the middle of nowhere with crappy directions. As I was pulling in with the car, the swimmers were beginning to exit the water - not a good sign. I rushed to register with my bike, get set up in my wetsuit, snatched up a swim cap from another racers transition mat (they had already exited and left on the bike) and rushed into the water at full boar. The Race Marshall, at first, wasn't going to allow me to start as he didn't think I could make the cut off time being 34 minutes late already (The Olympic swim cut-off time is 1 hour), but the crowd cheered on my behalf for him to at least let me try...and he agreed reluctantly. I have never swam 1500m in under 28 minutes before and here I now only had 24 minutes. Believe it or not, I managed to exit with 1:30 to spare - talk about cutting it close - my shoulders felt like they were going to fall off. The crowd absolutely exploded when I stood up out of the water as they had all stuck around to see if I made the cut-off. Turns out - unbeknownst to me - the Marshall's boat had been chasing behind me for the last 750m loop threatening to catch me and, therefore, disqualify me.

Already an hour now behind the other riders who had long ago finished the swim, I mounted Lucille and made it on the course seconds before the sweep truck also started. I hauled ass trying to catch someone - anyone - so that I wasn't last position anymore. I remember hearing a race official over their walkie-talkie: "#64 is finally on the course". By the 25k mark I began to catch the slower riders and by the 35k I had caught some more of the back of the pack...so I was back in the race at least. When I dismounted my bike, the crowd roared again - it was awesome.

The run went okay, but I had spent nearly everything in both the swim and ride just trying to get back in the race. I struggled to a 58 minute run (10k) and I know I can do better. The crowd kept me going throughout though so I managed to finish strongly and in good spirits. I don;t get an "official" time as they never gave me a time chip, but my stop watch had me clocked at 2:56:34. I had originally wanted to come in at under 3 hours so I did manage to do that at least. Afterward, I got a special commendation from the announcer at the award handouts for completing the race despite starting a half hour late and, again, the crowd loved it. I felt like a celebrity. Bummer side is that I didn't get a time chip since I missed the official registration...but I don't care as I kept my own time.

So, sports fans, that concludes another fine year of triathlon racing. A bittersweet finish I guess. I am SO ready for a brief break, then it's back to working on my running, squash, weights and yoga. All at a relatively slow pace - except for squash, of course.

#42 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

what a great story! what a great trip you are on!

i wish i had been able to make it up for the geneva race.

#43 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

That is AWESOME. Great job CTRM!! :clapping::jamguy:

#44 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:59 PM

One week off and I'm bored stupid. I have taken Daisy out for a few short spins around the neighborhood, but that's about it. No running and no swimming. Apart from the few joy ride, the most exercise I've had this week involved setting up a lawn chair.

Beginning tomorrow I'm going to start heading back to the gym for...I dunno. Weights...some squash...a short swim maybe. Plus, I'd like to begin some easy running again...go figure. I have to find a new routine now and it's posing to be more of a problem that I had originally anticipated.

I want to enroll to get my National Life guarding and Instructor's Certification this month so I can teach kids swimming, but I also need to wait and see if I'm heading back to the Philippines for work or not.

So this is what it feels like to have time again. Cool.

#45 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:52 AM

I've just enjoyed three amazing weeks of resting, relaxing, indulging in delicious food and involving myself with sweet fuck all mostly. I've still gone out for the odd bike joyride around the neighborhood to enjoy the autumn colors and even completed one last epic 130k ride to Fort Erie and Ridgeway and back this weekend...just because.

Time to turn back to weights, yoga and squash and beginning to reshift my focus back to running (the added goal this winter is to drop another solid +20 pounds). My summer 2011 goals are going to be no less daunting than this past season including another stab at the 30k 'Around the Bay' in Hamilton, the "Double Musselman" (Sprint distance tri on Day 1, Half Iron distance on Day 2), and ending with the Cancun 70.3 in September.

Here we go again.

#46 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,934 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

good luck w/ your winter training!

#47 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Officially registered for Cancun 70.3. No backing out now...

In other late breaking developments I have decided NOT to participate in Ironman Japan 2012 but, instead, will focus on the new Ironman Wales for my 40th birthday (2012). The new course offers athletes the chance to roll through scenic coastline and medieval townships, past castles and ruins, run through picturesque beachfront and the chance to get shitfaced afterwards in any of the local pubs. My kind of race!

So, here's the new Master Plan:

http://ironman.com/e...s#axzz12Yl5YqlC

Training started officially this weekend with a short run and my Masters swim class this morning. Three weeks off just doesn't seem like much of a break at all and yet and I feel like I'm starting all over from scratch in some ways. I have started squash and yoga again and I have the aches and pains - not to mention the acute case of "squash ass" - to prove it. My diet is going well and am lowing my caloric intake gradually through the weeks. So, all systems are go and, so far, in good perspective.

#48 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:38 AM

Just a quick update for anybody who still reads this thing.

I am well into my base training now and am very happy to be back outside again, even if it is often under some pretty sucky circumstances. I competed well at the Around the Bay race this past March surpassing my goal time and I am easily running sub-two hour half marathons on a regular basis now as part of my own continuing training.

Right now it's all about putting on the distance on the bike again and the dreaded long bricks on the weekends. There have been lots of owchies and lessons learned but I am easily in the best shape of my life and I have already accomplished my race weight goal for September at 185 lbs., so I am hoping for maybe another 5 lbs. or more. What the hell.

Cancun tickets have been purchased and I've decided to bring my mom along for support. She's never been on vacation before and has a huge interest in Mayan culture, so watching her chubby eldest son sweat his ass off for five and a half hours isn't too shabby a deal for a week in paradise I expect. I figure I'll need some consoling afterwards as well so it's a win-win.

So it's all systems go for my 2012 Ironman goal and I'm already thinking and planning my training beyond this season, and, you know what that means...completing a full marathon. Oi vay. I still hate running even though I'm getting much better at it. I don't know when I'll check back in, but if you're ever curious about my progress and story along the way you can check out my regular blog at: https://fatandthefur....wordpress.com/

Have a fun and safe summer everyone. :)

#49 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,022 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:49 AM

:dance:

#50 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 698 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:31 AM

Thinking of committing to the NYC Ironman. I'll need some support, some couches, and about 3 kilos of ibuprofen but I think it's a manageable quest.

"The 140.6-mile race will take place in parts of both New York City and New Jersey, making it the most metropolitan environment ever to host an Ironman. The course will include a 2.4-mile swim in the Hudson River; a 112-mile bike ride on the Palisades Parkway in Bergen and Rockland Counties; and a 26.2-mile run beginning in Fort Lee, New Jersey and finishing in Riverside Park in Manhattan."

Now all I have to do is qualify next year in Wales. Easy. :spank: