selfless acts of kindness

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HABIT

HABIT
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:57 AM

I walk the same route everyday to work from 42nd st to 39th n Broadway. I see the same "homeless" people just about everyday, 2 of them are vets, 1 w/ no leg, the other stands by the news paper guys all the time but is always either eating or drinking something. and there's a couple that sit across from each other the woman is sober (or looks) the man nods out. Another woman I see randomly sleeping or standing around w/ no shoes on, but she's not approachable and doesn't ask for anything, she's very hairy, and dirty..Those are the main homeless fokes I see...which leads me to my selfless act.

I refuse to give any homeless person change unless it just so happens to be in my hands at the exact moment they ask, which is rare. But these people I see everyday, 5 or 6 days a week, all day. The couple I don't believe are homeless, the vet standing up I don't believe is homeless, maybe broke and down on his luck, but he's to happy to be broke.

the vet on the ground w 1 leg, and sleeping most of the time under a card board box, that guy he's struggling, and I've noticed he's the least likely to get money, he's low to the ground, very quite and being under the box is pretty unapproachable, for fear of what he might have or be doing under the box, but the box is only to hide his leg which is just a nubb.

anyway...I'm picking up my wife some McDonald's, and I order an extra cheese burger because, well i just thought the guy might like a warm meal. He doesn't se.e me coming, he's sitting 1/2 under a phone booth on the corner near GSC. With out skipping a beat I approach crouching down to him and say"I have an extra cheeseburger for you." he replies yes please thank you yes, and before the burger leaves my hands he's practical biting threw the wrapper.

of course I hear people behind me saying "oh my god did you see that?" comments like that, I don't acknowledge them but I hope that maybe some time in their life they "pay it forward".

Whats some stuff you've done? miracles?

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

Very nice, I have given food to people asking for money for food. Interesting how some are quite pissed to not be getting money, while others are thankful for the food.

Every little bit we do to help others, makes the world a better place. :heart:

#3 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,448 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

While down in the village a while back I stopped in for Indian food before hitting a show. I didn't finish my meal, but brought it doggy bagged with me thinking someone would want it along the way. The first guy that asked for money, was offered the still hot and delicious meal.

His reply
"What is it?"

Me: " It's indian. Its a prawn rice and curry dish..semi spicy."

Him: "Ohh, I don't know man..."

Me: " Well, it's taint free and still warm, I just left the restaurant about 2 blocks ago.."

Him: "Problem is, finding a bathroom around here, man. If I eat that I'm gonna have to find a bathroom for sure."

Me: "Point well recieved. So, do you want it or not?"

Him: " I'll take it."

:wink:

I thought about him later and wonder if he ate it, or tried to trade it for something he could stomach...

#4 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,934 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

ah, the garment district. (()) I like to do nice stuff, but I don't talk about it much. Those who know, know.

#5 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

ah, the garment district. (()) I like to do nice stuff, but I don't talk about it much. Those who know, know.

:thumbup:

#6 -anna

-anna
  • VibeTribe
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

my cousin and i are big fans of carrying those little hand warmer packs around in the winter and give them out on chilly nights/days.
i usually have fruit on me for those saying they're hungry, i used to make extra sandwiches and give those to people that asked for money but those weren't always well received.
the lady who lives in the bus stop on my way to the train is a big knitter so i give her extra skeins that i've got leftover from my crochet

#7 newglassman

newglassman
  • VibeTribe
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

so lets start building not shelters but homes for people that are SAFE and HELP people who want to not be out on the street it is very true that for some it is a choice that they have made for others it just happens to them... and its for those that i feel for....

#8 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

I very much believe in lending a helping hand...

one episode that stays with me is the time the wife and kids and I whipped into a McDonalds on a very stormy night... I ran in (hate drive thrus) and ordered our stuff... I note an elderly woman, clearly disoriented... crying at the counter - and for the most part being ignored by the staff/customers.

So I ask her if she is "OK" she is basically "lost" ( a bit of alzheimers is clear ) and cannot find her way home.. .she is driving a HUGE Impala loaded with groceries.

So I ask for her ID and locate her address... drive her car there with my fam following...(ended up only being right round the corner a bit, but the storm made it foggy and disorienting) help her inside and put away her groceries, find a number for her daughter on the fridge and give her a call....

the best thing about all that was what I think my kids got from it... if nothing else I want to have taught my children compassion... seek to understand someones situation, and help if ya can.

just before phish on Friday I drove a good 10 miles out of the way to bring a hitcher almost all they way home. Too damn hot to be walking in the sun all day.

I like to be able to respond affirmatively to the question: are you kind? :heart:

#9 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,934 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

nice, chris. :)

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:17 PM

unbroken chain, all one has to do, is be around you for 30 seconds, to know you are truly compassionate. :heart:

#11 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

if i have an umbrella in the car and its raining while driving and i see someone without, i offer it.

though one time walking with my umbrella came upon 2 elderly women walking VERY slow (as well, they were old) so i offer them my umbrella and they were very very paranoid - they thought i was trying to harm them.... they refused it and i walked away with umbrella. i tried :/ damn world causing paranoia !

but another time a young woman and her toddler son were waiting for a bus and they were very grateful and it was good to see him out of the rain.

#12 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,934 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:51 PM

I had some kindness come back my way, recently, at a fest. it was nice to have my reputation precede me, though I really have no idea what i've done that was heard about . I didn't ask, either. it felt awesome. I thanked the bestower of kindness very much and ran off to see the music.