Hassled by the cops

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

This happened a few hours ago, but I'm still shaking.

My husband and I have 2 cars, and the one I drive is the knock around car. The inspection expired at the end of the year but after paying the registration, I didn't get to the inspection yet, was hoping for this week.

I literally woke up, grabbed the Pug I am dogsitting to take him to the park/bathroom, which is 5 minutes from my house. I didn't bring my purse as it was to be a very short trip.

I get pulled over and you would have sworn I just killed a bunch of people. It was 2 African American police officers (being PC here), and both rather large, intimidating men at that.

I went into some weird fear paralysis when they pulled me over for the expired tag. There were yelling at me, demanding my license, I explained I forgot my purse and it was in my house, which I could literally point to from where they pulled me over. I showed them my registration and my insurance, and when they pulled up info on the car, some of it was in my maiden name which I had for many years.

They start asking who's car it is, who is this other person. Again, I try to explain I bought the car many years ago and only changed my name recently, so some info might show up under my maiden name. I offer to leave the car and they can bring me to my house, I'll get my license and other ID.

They accused me of so many things I can't remember. I stole the car. I sole someone's identity. I paid someone to put stickers on the car. At that point, I stopped thinking rationally. They asked me my address and I couldn't remember, numbers were swirling in my head.

At some point, Andy looks from the house and sees me being hassled, he comes walking over and I can see him, I say "there he is..."

"There who is? Who did you call?"

"No one, I live right there, that's my husband, I'm trying to explain..."

Andy shows up, has his hands in the air, and they ask "WHO IS THIS WOMAN?"

"This is my wife, we live right here, is everything ok officers, what can I do to help." So smooth.

At this point, they have pulled up enough info to see I'm telling the truth, I have nothing on my license, and they let me off with a warning.

And scared the beejesus out of me.

#2 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

Let me guess.......Philly?

Sadly.......I would have to say they were doing their job.

You were driving in an unregistered or inspected car with no license and the info came back to a name you didnt give them.
Then in your panic you seemed confused or like you were searching for answers.......................That whole scenario sounds fishy right there.

Glad they didnt find the stash and dead hooker in the trunk.

#3 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Let me guess.......Philly?

definitely sounds like it...

#4 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,798 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Sorry this happened but it does sound like they were just being cops. There not out there to be our friends. Glad you are ok and everything turned out fine:heart:

#5 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

definitely glad to hear you're okay, it sucks that they were like that to you though :heart:

#6 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

(((Butterqueen)))

Yikes! How cool that your handsome prince came to save the day. :heart: :dance:

#7 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

I haven't really gotten pulled over before but have an appreciation now for how fricken scary it is. And yes, it is Philly.

Doing your job is one thing, but wow, they were really on some scary power trip.

#8 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,418 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

In Kate's defense, this cop was being a little to aggressive and judgmental for what the situation warranted.

In the last moments of the situation while I was standing there and the cops last interaction with Kate which seemed to be in line with how she describes the situation. When the officer told Kate he was letting her go with a warning I tried to extend my hand and said "thank you officer". He looked at me and said no with one finger, then pointed it at Kate and yelled at her about how this was the second person of the day he is letting off and reprimanded her for actions.

Like how does the earlier incident even relevant.

This is in complete contrast of when I was pulled over in November. In basically the same spot. The cop who spoke to me was calm, but very matter of fact about the facts. I actually got the ticket dismissed at Traffic Court.

Philly'd.

#9 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,798 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

The last time I got pulled over they made me stand on one foot and walk heel to toe. I suck at both:funny1:

#10 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm sorry the cops were jerks. Sometimes I think they are so caught up on their power trip they get pissed at women who do 'dumb things' (I"m not saying leaving your id at home is really dumb....just dumb to them)

On a side note is your pic of cupcakes with mulitcolored vaginas on them?

#11 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

hahaha, yes, those are vagina cupcakes. I didn't make them, just thought it was funny.

I normally never go anywhere without my purse but it was 10am on a Sunday and I just wanted the dog to go poooooo.

#12 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

Oh, i agree.....the whole thing could have been handled much more tactfully and efficiently.

Once they ran her name and realized she was so close to her residence.....why would she be lying.
Why is it so hard to belive that her last name is different from her license.

Unfortunately, i think that police are so used to being lied to they dont trust when they are being told the truth.

I understand why you were scared but i am sure that your mannerisms at the time didnt help the situation in the cops eyes.

Glad you only got a warning though.......if they wanted to be dicks i am sure you could have gotten a couple tickets.

I got pulled over in Philly in upper Darby when PLQ was in town.......trust me.....white guy late at night in upper darby with a couple dead stickers on his truck got me immediately pulled over.

The cop was just as you described and all over my shit.......pulled me out.....cuffed for my saftey:lol:.........car totally tossed and nothing found.

They looked at me and i got the same story......Your lucky we are giving you a warning this time.

Really?!
I am lucky?
For what? being lost in a city i dont know is against the law now..............they left and wouldnt even give me directions.

I got to sit on a police bumper while they searched my car and gangbangers, dealers and hookers watched from across the street.:rolleyes:

Luckily the lovely working girls of upper darby gave me directions back to my hotel.:funny1:

Glad your okay kate......get the registration fixed in the right name and never leave home without id.
It's all you got to prove who you are when you need to.

In a cops eyes a story is a lie until proven true.

guilty until proven innocent.

Next time try the whatever you do dont look in the trunk line.:lol:

#13 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Oh, i agree.....the whole thing could have been handled much more tactfully and efficiently.

Once they ran her name and realized she was so close to her residence.....why would she be lying.

Unfortunately, i think that police are so used to being lied to they dont trust when they are being told the truth.

I understand why you were scared but i am sure that your mannerisms at the time didnt help the situation in the cops eyes.

Glad you only got a warning though.......if they wanted to be dicks i am sure you could have gotten a couple tickets.

I got pulled over in Philly in upper Darby when PLQ was in town.......trust me.....white guy late at night in upper darby with a couple dead stickers on his truck got me immediately pulled over.

The cop was just as you described and all over my shit.......pulled me out.....cuffed for my saftey:lol:.........car totally tossed and nothing found.

They looked at me and i got the same story......Your lucky we are giving you a warning this time.

Really?!
I am lucky?
For what? being lost in a city i dont know is against the law now..............they left and wouldnt even give me directions.

I got to sit on a police bumper while they searched my car and gangbangers, dealers and hookers watched from across the street.:rolleyes:

Luckily the lovely working girls of upper darby gave me directions back to my hotel.:funny1:

Glad your okay kate......get the registration fixed in the right name and never leave home without id.

Yeah, no joke. I guess being from a small town and being a white chick, I never got the full police experience until today. Lesson learned on having the paperwork in order, good grief.

#14 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Completely unneccessary to be this aggressive for an inspection stop :sad: Sorry you had to go through this <3

#15 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,798 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Really?!
I am lucky?

Ahhhh Upper Darby. Next time take the $2 late night bus is is quite an experience:lol:

#16 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

ha that's what I thought....what a great picture!

#17 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Ahhhh Upper Darby. Next time take the $2 late night bus is is quite an experience:lol:

oh yes the night owl shuttle... :one: :funny1:

let's just say I rode it after coming back across the river from a Phish show once and leave it at that :newcolor:

#18 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,798 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

oh yes the night owl shuttle... :one: :funny1:

let's just say I rode it after coming back across the river from a Phish show once and leave it at that :newcolor:

I rode it after biscuits New Years at 3AM sketchiest and most hilarious bus ride ever:pimp:

#19 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

Well thank goodness the dead hookers are okay!

:funny1: Serbiz, glad you're okay and don't have a stack of autographed police souvenirs.

#20 The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Your driving in Philly
You don't have a license
The car is uninspected
Last names are different

You don't see the sketch factor here???

#21 BHB

BHB
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,904 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

I think we need our resident Philly expert on police brutality here....... Vic?

#22 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Your driving in Philly
You don't have a license
The car is uninspected
Last names are different

Obviously, I was dumb on multiple levels (forgetting my purse, expired inspection), but even before they started pulling up info on the computer, they were yelling at me. Just for the late inspection. It's not "uninspected", it's late and you generally have leeway of 3 months to get it done, or a 25.00 fine. Car is registered, insured, etc. It was in the info they pulled up on the computer that the saw a different last name in older documentation and then accused me of a variety of things.

The point was, the explanations were all very simple. I live half a block away and didn't grab my purse, and I am married and changed my name. None of these warranted their attitude, everything was clearly under my address which was blocks away.

#23 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

This would be like, you borrow your friend's car to run to the store and the inspection is a few weeks late, and you don't have all the info on the car and then they start screaming at you like you stole it.

Clearly, we should all be in perfect vehicles with our licenses at all times, and never get married or change our names or borrow cars, but this is PAPERWORK.

They were fishing for crimes based on every worst assumption of the situation.

#24 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Your driving in Philly
You don't have a license
The car is uninspected
Last names are different

Obviously, I was dumb on multiple levels (forgetting my purse, expired inspection), but even before they started pulling up info on the computer, they were yelling at me. Just for the late inspection. It's not "uninspected", it's late and you generally have leeway of 3 months to get it done, or a 25.00 fine. Car is registered, insured, etc. It was in the info they pulled up on the computer that the saw a different last name in older documentation and then accused me of a variety of things.

The point was, the explanations were all very simple. I live half a block away and didn't grab my purse, and I am married and changed my name. None of these warranted their attitude, everything was clearly under my address which was blocks away.

This would be like, you borrow your friend's car to run to the store and the inspection is a few weeks late, and you don't have all the info on the car and then they start screaming at you like you stole it.

Clearly, we should all be in perfect vehicles with our licenses at all times, and never get married or change our names or borrow cars, but this is PAPERWORK.

They were fishing for crimes based on every worst assumption of the situation.

they were doing their jobs. they flustered you, for sure. they had reason to suspect you were up to no good, i suppose. i mean, you're looking at three or four rules broken simultaneously, they usually frown upon that sort of thing. if they were just being d*cks, they'd have handed you the operation w/out license ticket, expired inspection (which is the same as uninspected, BTW, and there's no 3-month leeway...it expires one day, you're SOL the next day)...and anything else they wanted. nice, no. perhaps even a little hostile? sure, they're looking for trouble and you gave them cause to pause.

you're absolutely right, it's paperwork - dumb, money-grabbin' paperwork that they're out to enforce. :Phishfolk:

#25 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

I would have preferred the ticket and less of the terror, that's my point.

If I'm wrong, tickets are fine, but this city...my god. Just saying, treat these sort of things like tickets, not like I just killed people. That was my beef.

I guess "that's just cops"...

#26 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,392 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

I would have preferred the ticket and less of the terror, that's my point.

If I'm wrong, tickets are fine, but this city...my god. Just saying, treat these sort of things like tickets, not like I just killed people. That was my beef.

I guess "that's just cops"...

for better and for worse, there are good cops and bad cops. it's just like any other profession, not everyone's great at their job. the overwhelming majority of police officers are real good, though. sorry if today's pair weren't up to par.

in the end, sounds like you won't be getting caught unprepared like this again behind the wheel, and you saved a nice chunk of change by getting out of the ticket. that's a win-win for yourself and the city both. :wink:

#27 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

for better and for worse, there are good cops and bad cops. it's just like any other profession, not everyone's great at their job. the overwhelming majority of police officers are real good, though. sorry if today's pair weren't up to par.

in the end, sounds like you won't be getting caught unprepared like this again behind the wheel, and you saved a nice chunk of change by getting out of the ticket. that's a win-win for yourself and the city both. :wink:

it is true, never will leave house without a purse, and have a service appt. for tomorrow.

lessons learned.

#28 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

Just remember that the police are under no obligation to protect the public, their job is to enforce the laws. The laws, the source code that runs this nation, are written by wealthy elite to benefit themselves, and fuck to everyone else. So you see, that's what cops do, they hassle people to make them afraid, so citizens stay in line, so the powerful can retain their control. The police can act like bullies and there is no recourse. Just be glad you didn't get tazed.

#29 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,798 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

yes I am sure their next step would of been to taze her:lol:

#30 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Well if I was a cop, I totally would have tazed her, that is until her husband came out and there was a witness.

#31 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

I come from a family of cops & this sounds waaaayyy to aggressive IMO. Yes she had multiple 'infractions' but she wasn't pointing a gun, holding a hostage or pissing on their shoes - as in all careers, there's a right way & a wrong way to deal w/ people. and if the bulk of your job is dealing with people, you should be better at it.

They need to be aggressive at times, it's what saves their lives - but not to a woman w/ an expired inspection who forgot her purse! :rolleyes:

#32 little frog

little frog
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

dangerous kate the cupcake lady .. no cupcakes for the power tripping cops with self esteem issues. :cool:

#33 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

Sorry they treated you like that but I bet it's just going to get worse in this country. Police are getting federal training and told take orders from TSA. :shocked:

#34 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 870 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

you just have shady oozing out of you thats all.

glad you were resuced just in time!
hope all is well with you guys other wise

#35 crazysage

crazysage
  • VibeTribe
  • 870 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Posted Image