Photo
- - - - -

Is there hope for Yoga achievement for a 6'2 310 lbs. man?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,212 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:12 AM

i guess it's a good workout but it doesnt really seem to be achieving anything. I'm so not flexible. I couldnt touch my toes even when I was 10 years old and playing soccer, basketball and baseball.

#2 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

There is always hope, young grashopper. :chinese:

#3 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,934 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

You can DUIT!

#4 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Yoga is a great workout! You can totally do it and you will reap the benefits. :wink:

#5 Luna

Luna
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,784 posts
  • LocationDirty Jerze

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Keep it up... the changes will come :smile:

#6 showgoer

showgoer
  • VibeTribe
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yes there is hope. I was 320 lbs when I started doing yoga. I started in an intense class and it was rough and I couldn't do alot of the poses. However, I stayed religious with it for about 6 months and it always helped me feel better on the inside. You have to keep your mind and body open to what's happening on the inside. That's just as important as the movements.

I eventually lost about 80 lbs thru diet and excercise and I can do yoga much better now. So there is hope. There is always hope my friend.

#7 PKMister

PKMister
  • VibeTribe
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Absolutely! All shapes and sizes are welcome to come to the mat and see how it changes your life!

#8 Little Ho Peep

Little Ho Peep
  • VibeTribe
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Remember, it's not a competition, Royal!  It's about your relationship with your own body, not trying to match the person next to you.  Always honor your own body and what it's telling you.  I had a yoga teacher who always reminded us, "If it hurts, you're doing it wrong."   Never go past "the edge".

Try picking up some props like yoga blocks, strap, and zafu cushion to help you hold poses comfortably.  (You're still in the Capital Region, right?  Last I looked, Ocean State Job Lot had some great prices on yoga equipment.)

Have you checked out myyogaonline.com?  I love it for getting in quickie yoga sessions when you don't have time to commit to a full class.  Although as a beginner, I would highly recommend taking live classes, too, so you have an instructor to check your form and give you pointers.

#9 crazytigerrabbitman

crazytigerrabbitman
  • VibeTribe
  • 697 posts
  • LocationRidgeway, ON

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Remember, it's not a competition, Royal!  It's about your relationship with your own body, not trying to match the person next to you.  Always honor your own body and what it's telling you.  I had a yoga teacher who always reminded us, "If it hurts, you're doing it wrong."   Never go past "the edge".

What she said. 

Besides, do you have any idea how many calories you burn while doing very simple poses?  If that's "not achieving anything", then maybe you're in it for all the wrong reasons. 

I love and look forward to my practice.  It's the one workout that's truely for me where I don't have to concern myself with pace, distance, cadence, time, etc.  My only occasional issue is the weird spacy people who tend to gravitate towards yoga.  It's difficult being the only dude who prefers yoga as the opportunity to stretch sore muscles, work my core, etc., rather than the whole meditative hippy-dippy aspect.  I'm getting good at blocking others out ans at home, I can listen to whatever I want other than whale songs or wind chimes.  But, other than that...yoga is awesome.

#10 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,212 posts

Posted 40 minutes ago

There is no hope.  Just enjoy the crackers, cheese. then it's over.

#11 Royal

Royal
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,212 posts

Posted 25 minutes ago

I'm talking Roy Rogers mixing the Mayo and Castup and dipping the fries in it baby!!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@#~~~