Photo

Nickelodeon: Doo Wop Music's last stand.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Two people, Fred Seibert and Alan Goodman used to be known as "logo guys". They are known for developing (not designing) the MTV logo. They worked for MTV Networks for a little while, until they had the idea of developing media brands. They left MTV Networks and started Fred/Alan Inc. The first clients for Fred/Alan was MTV Networks.
Fred and Alan, along with Tom Corey and Scott Nash, developed what is refered today as "the orange splat".
Fred and Alan wanted to then create bumpers for Nickelodeon. They worked with Eugene Pitt, leader of The Jive 5, and several different animators. The hardest part was convincing Nickelodeon to use Doo-Wop. Nickelodeon executives believed, "Doo-wops 30 years old, no kid has ever heard of it.

According to Fred Seibert, "We won the day on two grounds.

"Fred played on the executives liberal backgrouds. 'We love all forms of African-American music, and using doo-wop will be a great way to educate American kids without anyone being the wiser.'

"Alans worked even better. He opened his mouth and, quoting The Marcels arrangement of chestnut 'Blue Moon,' sang:

"'Bom-ma-bom, a-bom-bom-a-bom, ba-ba-bom-bom-a-bomp, b-dang-a-dang-dang, b-ding-a-dong-ding.'

"'What kid isnt going to relate to that right away?' Alan asked.

"Case closed."

Out of all this, the classic Nickelodeon jingle was born.

The music form hasn't been used commercially in any major way since...interesting to me. This would make a great thesis topic.

#2 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

having been born in 1984 some of my earliest memories of television are from late 80s Nickelodeon... they were starting to get away from the longer doo-wop bumpers by that point (89/90) but they were still using the "ni-ni ni-ni ni-nick-nick-nick etc" stuff and back then I had no idea what I was listening to. I also remember the ones with the frog and the dinosaurs... some of that is probably what primed my really early interest in music... it brings back some old memories though to hear that and also find out a little bit more about what went into developing it :)

#3 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Nickelodeon was more subversive than many people realize when it started. I think you could make an good arguement that Nick kept Doo Wop alive for another generation with these bumpers.

Im a little older, born in 79, I was a diehard Mr Wizard fan when I was 5

#4 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

I loved Mr. Wizard! :Phishfolk:

#5 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

Loved this show too

#6 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

and here are some LULZ

#7 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

I vaguely remember that show (out of control)... production values ftw :funny1:

#8 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

I actually would race home to catch this after school...