Photo

NYC subway help....Beany are you out there?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

How do I negotiate the subway w/ 2 little kids. I read that kids under 44 inches are free, but I'll need someone to open a gate or something right? I feel like there have been plenty of times I've gone through turnstyles with noone around.

Who has done this?

#2 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:17 AM

Kids just duck and go under the turnstile.

#3 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:18 AM

small enough to ride on your knee, small enough to ride for free...

#4 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

with a stroller, when going in, you can get the attendants attention, stand by the door next to the turn styles. Let the attendant see you swipe your card and turn the turn style (with no one going though it), he will then open the door so you can take the stroller and kids through - once inside, you will want to try to use the elevators instead of stairs (look for the handicap signs) to get from level to level

if no stroller, just swipe adults through and the kids can duck through (assuming they are not really, really short teenagers, etc...)

#5 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,579 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

small enough to ride on your knee, small enough to ride for free...

You're old. :lol:

#6 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Not all stations have elevators....

#7 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

What Wonka said. When you hold their hand, make sure they're either in front of you or next to you. Never behind. They could bump into things and even if you have their hand in yours, you want to see them at all times. Benji lost his shoe on the track that way. hehe
If you're at a station with no elevator and you have a stroller, ask someone to help you with the stroller. It's surprising how many people won't offer, but as soon as you ask, they'll help you. That's a very NYC thing to do.
They'll love the subway!!!

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,579 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

AVISO: La via del tren subterraneo es peligrosa. Si el tren se para entre las estaciones, quedese adentro. No salga afuera. Siga los instrucciones de los operadores del tren o la policia.

#9 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

ask someone to help you with the stroller. It's surprising how many people won't offer, but as soon as you ask, they'll help you. That's a very NYC thing to do.

It is strange how so many people don't do the simplest things to help each other out on the subway.

If I have a seat I will give it up for the elder, kids, and pregnant women.

I will also try and help people with strollers or carts going up and down the stairs.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive help with a cart going up the stairs at my stop yesterday. I had painting supplies and man was it heavy. A young man just took it from me and said let me help you with that mam.

Mam.... wow I must be getting older. :lol:

#10 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,792 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

is it wrong of me to "suggest" to fully able people that are sitting, that they should give up their seat to one of the above referenced types?

Cuz if they don't offer, the person is too quiet, shy, whatever to ask... I don't mind my own business. :dunno::funny1:

#11 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

I do have to warn you if you are in a station with an elevator and you choose to utilize said elevator, it is advisable to avoid touching any surfaces whatsoever other than the buttons and in some cases (53rd & Lex) hold your breath. Elevators are for some reason a favorite urinal (or worse) for some folks.

#12 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,474 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

It is strange how so many people don't do the simplest things to help each other out on the subway.

I will also try and help people with strollers or carts going up and down the stairs.

I was pleasantly surprised to receive help with a cart going up the stairs at my stop yesterday. I had painting supplies and man was it heavy. A young man just took it from me and said let me help you with that mam.

Mam.... wow I must be getting older. :lol:

you never forget your first 'ma'am'! :lol:

#13 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Thanks all - we just pushed them through with us. My kids wanted to stand. they thought 'surfing' on the subway was fun! :lol:

#14 Geminimoon

Geminimoon
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

Yeah, I will never forget that......