Photo

No more Phish! 2012 it's folk/bluegrass/songwriters time!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

Since 2009 I've seen @ 10 Phish shows. I'm all Phried out! This year I'm going to delve back into small venues & small chilled out festivals for the folk/roots/bluegrassy/singer-songwriter stuff that I love. My Clearwater festival has a killer lineup and look...The Punch Brothers were added to the bill. How sweet is that?:clapping:

http://www.clearwater.org/festival/

#2 gram-man

gram-man
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,199 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw 10 shows IN 2009... :funny1:

#3 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Saw 1 phishy show 21 years ago. :afro: The vacuum did not impress me much:lol: liked the trampolines though:wink:

#4 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

Come to Greyfox bluegrass fest - very wheelchair accessible - they have a handicap camping area, buses that run people up & down to the main stage & it's pretty flat - on a farm

http://www.greyfoxbl.../pages/home.php

:dance::jump::jamguy:

#5 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

Saw 1 phishy show 21 years ago. :afro: The vacuum did not impress me much:lol: liked the trampolines though:wink:

I saw my first 21 years ago or so...1990 and many, many since! Like I said...I'm Phried out! I'll see them this year only if they play Bethel Woods again! That was the shit!:Phishfolk:

#6 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

Come to Greyfox bluegrass fest - very wheelchair accessible - they have a handicap camping area, buses that run people up & down to the main stage & it's pretty flat - on a farm

http://www.greyfoxbl.../pages/home.php

:dance::jump::jamguy:

Done! I haven't experienced Greyfox yet! Did you see the Clearwater lineup? Come on down and dance with the wheels!:dance:

#7 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

Philly Folk Fest!!!!!!! :Phishfolk:

#8 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

Done! I haven't experienced Greyfox yet! Did you see the Clearwater lineup? Come on down and dance with the wheels!:dance:

yes. I've wanted to go to that for years b/c it's very close but that weekend we are always away or at my brother in laws small bluegrass fest in VT

#9 mug

mug
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

Went to the Phila Folk Fest for 25 years in a row, and 15 straight Winterhawk/ Greyfox Fedtivals. Haven't been back to either in 5 years. Kinda fell out of the acoustic scene, but
this year we are going to Delfest for the first time, and I look forward to rekindling the flame. At some point, I will need to get back to both The Philly Folk Fest and Greyfox.

#10 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

Going to Telluride BG this year, and discovered a great scene in Pagosa, at the Bluegrass fest there. Would love to go back.

Although I unlike you haven't seen Phish SINCE 2009, so I'm overdue there. I have an excuse, we had a kid. Not so conducive to hittin tons of Phish shows

#11 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:12 AM

yes. I've wanted to go to that for years b/c it's very close but that weekend we are always away or at my brother in laws small bluegrass fest in VT

Clearwater festival is always that same weekend...fathers day weekend. In 2005 it made my life feel like living again. It was a difficult time because I was at a nursing/rehab center for months and months nearby. It was this Bethel Nursing & Rehab place. Between my dad and my brother we got me there both days and Assembly Of Dust was a headlining act. It just felt good to be up front and in the groove with hope for a future outside of that nursing home. I guess in 1997 that Croton Point Park was where the Gathering Of The Vibes once was. Here's good old God Street from that year...
http://www.archive.o...-22.gotv.flac16

#12 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:21 AM

[quote name='Heady']Going to Telluride BG this year, and discovered a great scene in Pagosa, at the Bluegrass fest there. Would love to go back.

Although I unlike you haven't seen Phish SINCE 2009, so I'm overdue there. I have an excuse, we had a kid. Not so conducive to hittin tons of Phish shows[/quote
The best Heady...the best!:dance:

#13 jpatandstuff

jpatandstuff
  • VibeTribe
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:28 AM

feel free to check out this singer/songwriter folky guy...

www.jamesdalton.co

he's playing all kinds of smaller venues

#14 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:46 AM

Now here's a singer/songwriter I want to see again!:clapping: Wisconsin Willy P!:dance:

#15 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Or dudes like Damien & David is where my ears take me.:thumbsup:

Who should I know that I may not know (yet) now that I've put up a few songwriters family?

#16 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

This "Joy" is played out:coffee:

I'm really in the mood for this "Joy":Phishfolk:

#17 erocstheparty

erocstheparty
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

feel free to check out this singer/songwriter folky guy...

www.jamesdalton.co

he's playing all kinds of smaller venues

No shit...J Pat...how you been man?? I was listening to a Baconfest recording last week with you on it...that was a great year for BF...things going well for you??

#18 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,928 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

infamouus stringdusters at bowery ballroom on 3/16 @ 8:00 PM ; $18.00 :wink:

#19 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

http://greenskybluegrass.com/tour/

Jan 19 - TONIGHT!!! Sullivan Hall New York, NY with special guest Todd Sheaffer (Railroad Earth) to support

If you're looking for bluegrass, this is going to be a superb show

#20 jpatandstuff

jpatandstuff
  • VibeTribe
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

No shit...J Pat...how you been man?? I was listening to a Baconfest recording last week with you on it...that was a great year for BF...things going well for you??

I've been alright enough. Trying to get the one man band back together...

That was a really fun show where if I remember, I probably played music for less than half the time I was onstage, the rest being bad jokes. Possibly performed without any pants on at some point, as well

#21 wheels

wheels
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for those suggestions Feck & Heady. The Bowery Ballroom is pound for pound about the best sounding space in Manhattan for music. I have to look into these bands...Infamous Stringdusters & Green Sky Bluegrass...word!:v: If you don't know North Carolinas Acoustic Syndicate...you should!:jamguy: Here's a standout show from 2007...

http://www.archive.o...S2007-12-22.SBD

#22 jpatandstuff

jpatandstuff
  • VibeTribe
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

anyone in jersey looking for this sort of music should check out this joint...
www.alberthall.org

#23 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Download greensky bluegrass - handguns. Such a good album

I've got a couple more recs ill edit into this post later