cat colds?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

Anyone have experience with cat colds? My old cat had one once but apparently there's not a lot you can do for them.

Atticus has been really sneezy for the last week. Finch has been sneezing more than normal too, but I figured they have colds and they just have to run their course. They're breathing normally and don't sound congested, and are eating well, etc.

However, last night Atticus was sitting on the recliner next to me when he had a sneezing fit, and this time he sneezed up some chunks of milky mucus that had one of the foulest stenches I have ever encountered. :puke: About 4 this morning I had to get up due to a coughing fit, he got up with me and did it again in the hallway.

I called the vet this morning and told them about it, plus my concerns that he's almost 10 and has a chronic illness (IBD), we agreed that we should have it checked out, so we made an appointment for Thursday morning. I hope that's all it is. He's actually sat in my lap a few times over the past couple of days and he almost never does that.

#2 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,789 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

Kitty antibiotic

#3 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

awwww, healing vibes for kitties! :heart: Tigger used to get terrible colds but she was a watery dripping sneezing mess of a mess and there was just no mistaking her colds for anything else. this sounds more like a true respiratory infection, you don't want to mess with those. keep us posted! :heart:

#4 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Kitty antibiotic

Yup if the mucus stinks it is a sinus infection. Healthy kitty vibes!

#5 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,564 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Get well soon Atticus! :heart:

#6 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

His sneeziness was diminished somewhat by today (of course). I told the vet I felt as if I were overreacting but she said I was right to bring him in due to the fact we are suppressing his immunosystem with the daily steroids for his IBD. She gave him a shot of Convenia (a long acting antibiotic) and some lysine supplement treats (he loves them, which is good since he has to take 5 per day). He's also gained another 5 ounces and she says he looks fantasic. :smile:

Thanks for all of the support. :smile: He seems to have forgiven us for his torture session this morning :funny1:

#7 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

always better to be safe than sorry, i think. :heart:

#8 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,376 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

i'm glad he's doing better! :) that covenia is what floyd got the other day for his abscess and it is not cheap!! :shocked:

#9 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

:heart:

Good news about Attitcus!

#10 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:07 AM

he's doing lots better..no more sneezing and he's eating up his lysine treats like a champ. he actually begs for them now :funny1:

I was gone for 10 days on vacation and I missed my babies so much. They've been glued to me since I got home :heart::heart:

#11 DancingBearly

DancingBearly
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,917 posts
  • LocationQuiet Corner

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

Glad he is getting better and of course they miss you.:smile:

#12 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,789 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY