Help me win this chili cookoff contest

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

What would you look for in a chili as the most important criteria for your vote?

I'm thinking alternate meat like buffalo, 3 types of beans mostly for appearance sake, not too spicy for the masses but spicy enough.

Ideas, thoughts, welcome!

I'm up against some tough competitors.

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,628 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Corn.

#3 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

loose women and short skirts?

#4 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

might I suggest the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalsacatenango:

Posted Image

#5 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

def. buffalo.

#6 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

in the past have the winners made bean chili or non-bean chili?

i would go with traditional beef, cubed or shredded but not ground. medium heat, a good amount of smokiness (chipotle and cumin), and for the beans a mix of dark red kidney, black beans for silkiness and garbanzos for bite. if you're adding a 4th bean, butter beans added toward the end of cooking are unexpected and yummy.

add a bit of dark chocolate (one to two squares of Girardhelli, for instance) and a half a beer for that sweet malt flavor. i like chunks of onion and pepper, very tender but not cooked to where they melt into the rest. a bit of cilantro at the end.

#7 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

loose women and short skirts?

I must try your chili :drool:

#8 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

Oh and NO BEANS!!!

#9 sure-ur-rightdancer

sure-ur-rightdancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

I second the chunks of beef vs ground idea.... makes a much more elegant and exciting chili plus it will set you apart from the masses

#10 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

can you offer mix-ins for the peopple that want spice? like sliced fresh peppers of varying heats?

#11 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

check the rules re beans, some won't allow them

i use a blend of several different dried chilis, roasted in the oven and then ground.
i also about 1/2 of it at the start and the rest at different times during the cooking process.

in addition to the fresh herbs - i also add onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and cumin.

add the real heat a little at a time, eaiser to add more than take it away.

#12 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Use ribeyes not buffalo. Start by cooking a pound of bacon in the ***. Remove the bacon and course chop a giant red onion and cook it in the bacon grease until it is translucent. then add the cubed ribeye and brown with your seasonings...that's your start...save the bacon to crumble in later.

#13 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

the thing about chili is, everyone has their idea of what a REAL chili is, and whoever comes closest to that ideal will usually get their vote. i can't imagine chili without beans, because that's what i grew up eating and loving. but serve chili with beans in Texas, and they won't even want to try it. so knowing your judges is important, if you really want to win.

#14 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

add hot sausage in there too. yum.

#15 beerzrkr

beerzrkr
  • VibeTribe
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

When you brown the meat don

#16 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Some great ideas here already, thanks!

I like beans, so beans are going in. The rules are there are no rules. I stay away from black beans and pinto beans because everyone around here gets WAY too many of those already in all the mexican food.

We have until Superbowl Sunday and then "Boardie Chili" rides to VICTORY!!!!!

#17 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

ditch the buffalo, go with wild boar or heirloom hog

#18 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

okay, so refrieds are out too, huh? :bang: :lol: they serve the same purpose as black beans, making the chili richer and silkier.

dark red kidney, garbanzos and butterbeans or cannelinis then? i don't know. the color might not be as dark as you might like it, that way.

#19 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

the parents of your enemy is also a good route to take. especially if your enemy plans to eat chili and the cookoff. :coffee:

#20 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,547 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

i use 2 types of beans...usually black and red
diced roasted peppers, and tomato.
2 types of meat...usually cubed sirloin and pork loin
and an array of chiles

#21 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

might I suggest the Merciless Pepper of Quetzalsacatenango:

Posted Image

Came in here to post this.

#22 beerzrkr

beerzrkr
  • VibeTribe
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Any water your recipe calls for, replace with beer.

#23 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,547 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

i use a combo of homemade chicken and beef stock...but yea theres beer:gop:

#24 beerzrkr

beerzrkr
  • VibeTribe
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

I always add a few chopped up chipotles in adobo sauce. You can get them in small cans in most groceries. It

#25 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

i would go with traditional beef, cubed or shredded but not ground. medium heat, a good amount of smokiness (chipotle and cumin), and for the beans a mix of dark red kidney, black beans for silkiness and garbanzos for bite. if you're adding a 4th bean, butter beans added toward the end of cooking are unexpected and yummy.

add a bit of dark chocolate (one to two squares of Girardhelli, for instance) and a half a beer for that sweet malt flavor. i like chunks of onion and pepper, very tender but not cooked to where they melt into the rest. a bit of cilantro at the end.

DULY NOTED!

#26 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,547 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

im loving this beer idea

#27 CreekFreek

CreekFreek
  • VibeTribe
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Good luck!

okay, so refrieds are out too, huh? :bang: :lol: they serve the same purpose as black beans, making the chili richer and silkier.

I use both - refried and black beans.

The right meat and a variety of good beans are the key for *me*. I don't get the point of beanless chili.

#28 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

DULY NOTED!

you've had my chili before, i think...or at least have been at potluck picnics where it's been served. not always my best, with the limitations of camping and whatnot. but a lot of folks seem to like it just the same.

Augie, the trick is to add the beer in the beginning, like you would wine. gotta let the alcohol cook off a bit before adding the bulk of ingredients, you know? i usually cook the onions and peppers in the beer, let it carmelize together a bit.

if you add corn, add that at the very end so it keeps its crunch. sometimes i'll withhold some of the peppers and onions until it's half cooked too, so they keep their bite. not all, you need that base of flavor. but some yes.

curious what kind of tomatoes others use in their chili. i use fire-roasted tomatoes in big chunks. i like the big bite of tomato, but i let them cook a long time in the chili so they're not super firm when you serve it.

#29 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,507 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

canned tomatoes (seedless/skinless), usually Roma from the garden

not a fan of big chunks of tomato so i usually cook them down for a bit before adding anything else

#30 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

i usually use whatever is in the house, whole, crushed, diced or a mix.

depending on how loose it is i may has some masa harina mixed in a little water so it doesn't lump - near the end
just make sure it cooks a little soit doesn't taste raw.

i guess Wondra would do the same.

given your location and current food trends, local sourced products from places with fancy names might be helpful.

#31 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,534 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

#32 CreekFreek

CreekFreek
  • VibeTribe
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

curious what kind of tomatoes others use in their chili. i use fire-roasted tomatoes in big chunks. i like the big bite of tomato, but i let them cook a long time in the chili so they're not super firm when you serve it.

I use a combo of diced and stewed. For stewed, I get the ones that are halfed because I also like big chunks in my chili.

#33 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

me too :lol: i haven't made chili con carne in 4 years :lol::lol::lol:

but the rest is my normal recipe. come to Strangecreek this year, or Wormtown, or Vibes if it isn't 100+ degrees in the shade :funny1: and i'll likely have a huge vat of it ready to share :)

or you could just come for a visit.

#34 Arglebargle

Arglebargle
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

I use a little bit of tomato paste, but I don't like a lot of tomato in my chili. I think many judges look for a smooth sauce, many chili cooks use dried onion powder and dried garlic powder instead of the real thing so their sauce is smoother, but I prefer an eating chili with real ingredients myself. Add your spices in batches, taste often. As the chili cooks the flavors change. Look up chili competition winner recipes and see what appeals to you. Good luck!

#35 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

thanks, everyone, for the tomato suggestions. best thing about chili is all the variables, and that it almost always tastes yummy regardless of the variables.

unless my mom is cooking it. :lol: her chili is just awful. funny thing too...i LOVED it as a kid.

#36 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

Add some dark cocoa or chocolate and cumin to the mix... Mmmmmm... Kinda tastes like mole sauce that way!

#37 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,579 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

I get hungry every time I open this thread. I'm thinking I'm going to take a shot at some type of chorizo chili this weekend

#38 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,719 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:22 AM

No beans! They can instantly turn some people off.

I like to put chocolate in my chili to smooth out the flavors

#39 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

Add some dark cocoa or chocolate and cumin to the mix... Mmmmmm... Kinda tastes like mole sauce that way!

see I should of read the actual thread. that is exactly what I do:pimp:

#40 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

How about ostrich meat to send my competition's heads under the sand!

#41 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

For beans I'm thinking red kidney, white kidney, and black-eyed peas. I considered Lima but they're just too big and too beany.

#42 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:39 AM

they make a venison and Guinness chili at a restaurant around here. that stuff is dank

#43 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,547 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

imma make my famous penis chili...it has penis in it

#44 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:57 AM

imma make my famous penis chili...it has penis in it

ground or cubed? Or, ummm ringed like calamari. :eek:

#45 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,547 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

ringed would be original :lol:

#46 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,547 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

im just not sure how much the collagen in the penis would break down with long cooking times...i guess ill have to try it first...could be a pretty tough penis

#47 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,988 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:57 AM

im just not sure how much the collagen in the penis would break down with long cooking times...i guess ill have to try it first...could be a pretty tough penis

The good news is you never run out, when it gets down to only a little left, just rub it for a while...:rolleyes:

#48 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,988 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:59 AM

def no beans. Really try chili without them. Cubed meat (I like the ostrich angle). No ground meat. You will never go back to bean chili again....

#49 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,263 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

The competition is so fierce I've decided to target the unlikely swing voters to have a chance of winning.

Going with a white clam chili with white kidney beans, black eyed peas, potatoes, fresh clams out of the shell.

#50 SueTheDonkey

SueTheDonkey
  • VibeTribe
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:12 PM

Throw some wild oats in the mix, plea, snort, snort, Please