I'm Drawing Again...

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

It's been ages since I've actually put pencil to paper, and getting back into drawing has been one of my goals for 2012. Fortunately, I scored some freelance illustration work that has given me the impetus to actually set to work on that goal of getting reacquainted with pencil and paper... Bit of a rough start, but I really like how this pirate came out and wanted to share him with you all! :mrgreen:

Here he is contemplating escargot and oysters:

Posted Image

I'm waiting to hear back from the client on any revisions (I already suggested switching the snail and oyster around to match the continuity from other drawings I have done in this series) and then I will be tightening this one up, inking it, and the colouring it in a watercolour style.

I aim to get a site up featuring more of my work (design, illustration, and paintings) in the very near future so that I can start courting some more work in this field now that I'm too far away from any large cities to commute in for animation gigs... It's exciting to be getting back to my roots and enjoying drawing again - I'm looking forward to sharing the evolution of this piece with you folks as it moves thru the various stages of completion! :)

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Nice!

:jump:

#3 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

So how interested would you be in drawing a tattoo for an old eating buddy? :lol: Your stuff is great!

#4 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

!!!!

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

So how interested would you be in drawing a tattoo for an old eating buddy? :lol: Your stuff is great!

Oh the image this conjured up!

#6 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Sure thing - I'm really good at pin-up girls:

Posted Image

Not sure that you're looking for that, but I wanted to juxtapose the pirate as that's an illustration for children where as my pin-up girls are all 18+ content. Plus, you can see what my inked linework is like in the above image.

Can't wait to get to painting again soon, too! :jump:

Oh the image this conjured up!

:lmao:

#7 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

love it :clapping:

#8 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,229 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

OMFG...I knew you were good...just never realized. I'm not kidding...I'd be proud to wear one of your pieces...I'll be in touch.

#9 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Cool, I'd love to work with you and make something real special. :mrgreen:

And thanks - I like to think I'm pretty good, too... :funny1: Pin-up girls are some of my favourites to draw. Always learning. Right now I'm just knocking the rust off, and getting back into practice. Methinks a trip to the art supply shop for a new sketchbook and some pens is in order for later on this week...

#10 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

I thought you were gonna say the dole:rotf:

:funny1:

Nope - I'm not eligible for any assistance for three years, I believe... And since my goal is to become self-employed, that's a-okay with me! :v:

#11 Beany

Beany
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

yay for pencil & paper!!!!
nice pirate and thought balloons!!

#12 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,576 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

#13 cjtpaint

cjtpaint
  • VibeTribe
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:44 AM

LL, check in with Cindy Samul, Pacific Street Gallery, New London, Ct. She is an illustrator and owns the shop. I have shown there, tell her Tom sent you.

#14 Sunshower

Sunshower
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

Awesome! I am glad that you are back into it! Too talented not to be!:jump:

#15 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

Ah, cool, thanks for the tip, CJTPaint - always good to have connections! I will definitely be getting in-touch with her. :)

Thanks all - it's nice to be working at it again - looking forward to sharing more with you as I build up my portfolio again!

#16 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

That's awesome! But.... I'm not sure it's close enough to get you admitted to the school...

Posted Image

:funny1:

#17 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,245 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

:lol:

#18 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Actually saw a commercial for that the other night - I was wondering if I'd be able to qualify!!! :lol:

#19 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,245 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

Only one way to find out!

#20 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,898 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Good stuff Lola!

#21 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Pen and ink sketch inspired by this morning's wildlife sighting. :)

Posted Image

#22 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Nice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Always wished I had that kind of talent by I can barely draw a bath :sad:

#23 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I went to my first life drawing session since 1994 last night. It was an open session with no instructor present. I was concerned about how rusty I would be, but it all came back to me pretty quickly. It felt good to know that I hadn't lost the ability to see what I am drawing. :)

This image is from a 45-minute pose, pencil on tracing paper. :

Posted Image

I didn't have time to finish her hair or add details to the material she was leaning against. I would have like to have a bit more time to work on the shading as well, it's kind of flat in some areas.

#24 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,898 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Nice!

So glad you are back to drawing, it sounds like it's making you quite happy :)

#25 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Good stuff Loller! :)

#26 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks! It is making me happy, except for the illustrations I have fallen behind on.

Oh why did I decide to take them in to the digital world for the colour work? :bang: :lol:

#27 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,229 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Awesome! I love your work!

I'm still waiting on the idea to hit me for my daughter's ink piece...I haven't forgotten!

#28 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thanks! I've got a standing date to go to the life drawing once a week with a friend, and am looking forward to getting back into the practice of it.

No worries on taking your time, it's important stuff - just ping me when you've got it figured out! :)

#29 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

i adore the fox....

i must ask tho, why work on tracing paper?

#30 FellowTraveler

FellowTraveler
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

nice good work

#31 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

i must ask tho, why work on tracing paper?

Well, first of all b/c it's what I already had on-hand which meant I didn't have to go to the store and spend money on something else! :lol:

I work on tracing paper quite a bit b/c I like how the pencil glides over it. It has a relatively hard, smooth surface so when you're working with softer graphite, the pencil moves very easily. I always use tracing paper for my pencils (rough sketches, like the pirate in the first post) and then transfer to either a good quality paper or illustration board for my final inked images.

Normally in life drawing I would use newsprint. The studies end up being kinda disposable when you make a habit of going to a session every week. Tracing paper has the advantage of being relatively cheap, altho newsprint is even cheaper. I'll prolly pick up a pad of it to bring to the life drawing at some point.

#32 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Looks good!

#33 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Same model as last week, 40 minute pose, pencil on tracing paper.

Posted Image

It's almost as if I got to draw the backside of the pose from the last session.

#34 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,670 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Nice ass. :lol:

Na seriously, nice work.

#35 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think that was Tyler's first response, too! :funny1:

Thanks! :) I have to miss this week's session due to a pervious commitment, but I'll be back at it again the week after. Last week the class got packed with students who need to round out their portfolios by the end of term. :eek:

#36 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,189 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Same model as last week, 40 minute pose, pencil on tracing paper. Posted Image It's almost as if I got to draw the backside of the pose from the last session.

Wow! your shading is perfect! You are REALLY talented! :) I love all the pics.

I remember in college I took a class on just nude sketches. We had the same 2 models all semester, and I was so bored of them after a while. lol.

Maybe you can help me with the tattoo I want too!!! I'll try to get my sketch up.

#37 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thanks Nicole! They switch the models up every once in awhile, of course, I'll likely miss the switch this week since I have to sit this Thursday out! :lol:

I'd be more than happy to assist you with your design. Feel free to PM me, or we can do this over email or whatever works best. :)

#38 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,229 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

I can't wait till the inspiration hits for my Lola piece.

#39 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Well, first of all b/c it's what I already had on-hand which meant I didn't have to go to the store and spend money on something else! :lol: I work on tracing paper quite a bit b/c I like how the pencil glides over it. It has a relatively hard, smooth surface so when you're working with softer graphite, the pencil moves very easily. I always use tracing paper for my pencils (rough sketches, like the pirate in the first post) and then transfer to either a good quality paper or illustration board for my final inked images. Normally in life drawing I would use newsprint. The studies end up being kinda disposable when you make a habit of going to a session every week. Tracing paper has the advantage of being relatively cheap, altho newsprint is even cheaper. I'll prolly pick up a pad of it to bring to the life drawing at some point.

sweet. knew id learn something from that answer! ;)

#40 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

I can't wait till the inspiration hits for my Lola piece.

Me too! It will be fun to work together!

sweet. knew id learn something from that answer! ;)

Part necessity, part choice - altho it is working out so well, I may just stick to tracing paper rather than going to newsprint.

#41 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,189 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

yea, art supplies are expensive! you have to work with what u have.

#42 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,189 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

ok.. I've been walking around with this sketch for like, over 10 years.. lol. I had this Bic Virgo lighter with her on it, and I sketched it because I liked it so much.

Posted Image

I want a Virgo kind of theme there. the 8 in the folds of the dress represents infinity and my birthdate.

#43 nikkiblue

nikkiblue
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,189 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

but I have no idea where I would put it on my body... lol. Plus, Im a bit of a chicken...Tattoos HURT!!!!!!!!!!

#44 fire_rocket

fire_rocket
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Damn Lola- you're amazing!

#45 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Last week's life drawing - Alexis, 45 minute pose, pencil on tracing paper.

I was going kind of slow that night, never got the chance to finish the shading on her legs, or even start on her face or fill in her hair. Hopefully I can work a little bit faster at tonight's session and complete the drawing.

Posted Image

#46 ladygingechilla

ladygingechilla
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

Beautiful!

#47 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Here are the results from Tuesday's session:

Posted Image

#48 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,826 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

if I was attending a session like that as an artist, I don't think I'd be able to focus on the drawing with the model in that position :blush:

Very nice Lola :)

#49 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

ok.. I've been walking around with this sketch for like, over 10 years.. lol. I had this Bic Virgo lighter with her on it, and I sketched it because I liked it so much. Posted Image I want a Virgo kind of theme there. the 8 in the folds of the dress represents infinity and my birthdate.

I missed this one Nikki - sometimes the "read new reply" feature still doesn't work for me.

Anyways, if you are looking to move forwards with this at any time let me know - we can certainly work together on it. :)

#50 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,670 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Was it cold in the studio? :lol:

Nice werk as always!