Photo

Armchair/spectator sports, why so popular?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Curious why armchair/spectator sports are so popular? Why people get so into watching and rooting for "their team?"

What is it they provide via the watching experience?

#2 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

It will take me a while to tell you all the reasons why I love sports, specifically pro football and baseball, so lets juts leave it at the last one for now; goes good with beer.

#3 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

i've been trying to figure this out for music as well

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Fair enough and that last one does make sense. :smile:

#5 Strange Mark

Strange Mark
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

I prefer to ski, golf, hike, or do other outdoor activities, but I also love watching sports because there are few things that create the passion and excitement like a great football or hockey game.

Unless I'm getting laid, but I can do that at halftime. :pimp:

#6 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,274 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

:lol: :clapping:

#7 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

i've been trying to figure this out for music as well

Theory thus far, music acts on the emotional center.

Hmm...perhaps sports viewing activates emotions for some thus providing an adrenaline rush at times?

#8 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

I like watching football. I have no team preference, no none of the players stats and don't care who wins. the game is fairly exciting to watch.

But that is about it except extreme sports on ocassion. Watching other sports on the tube is just beyond the bore to me. I'm always at a lose with most groups of guys on this. Walk me into a room full of sports fans and im likely the guy that just sits there quietly. Between not watching sports and not watching any of the mainstream popular TV shows, I'm usually at a loss in most crowds. :lol:

#9 concert andy

concert andy
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,526 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

It is something engrained in a child. Most children like to play sports.

That sports play as a youngster, and the watching and growing up with a connection to your local markets sports team is a right of passage for many kids.

Then as you grow up as a teenager, sports becomes a way for people to stay connected. This could be in a parent child relationship, or kid and their contemporaries.

Then when you are all grown up as an adult, it is a link/connection back to when you were a kid, a simplier time. Now you have been rooting for this team for so long it just becomes part of who you are.

I think that is the basics.

#10 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

..Hmm...perhaps sports viewing activates emotions for some thus providing an adrenaline rush at times?

Definitely this one. And you really want to kick that adrenaline rush up a notch while watching sports...put money on it :wink:

#11 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hmm...perhaps sports viewing activates emotions for some thus providing an adrenaline rush at times?

you might be on to something :thumbsup:

#12 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Watching sports can definitely produce emotional reactions. I know I've had my share of sports-related "moments."

#13 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

My father used to watch golf on TV. I NEVER understood that. Golf? On TV?

I'd happily head out and swing clubs at the balls, but to watch someone do it on TV is just beyond my comprehension. It's like watching someone bake cookies...... :zzz:

#14 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'd happily head out and swing clubs at the balls, but to watch someone do it on TV is just beyond my comprehension. It's like watching someone bake cookies...... :zzz:

I guess it depends on what you're into. I watch bowling on TV (yes... I said bowling) and there are times when (IMHO) it can be quite exciting. But for me it makes sense since that's the one sport I actively participate in. My guess is its the same for golfers. Pesonally, I'm not into golf at all and equate watching it on TV with watching grass grow. But if that's your sport, I can understand why it would be exciting for you to watch.

#15 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

Watching sports can definitely produce emotional reactions. I know I've had my share of sports-related "moments."

You should've heard me this morning when I heard the Bama / LSU score, and then heard the Bama defense only allowed 92 total yards

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE! :Phishfolk:

#16 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

:lol: I enjoy participating in sports, however watching alone is a snooze fest for me. Watching with others who are into them can be a fun time due to their excitement.

#17 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:33 PM

there's a beauty to any sport when it's played at an exceptional level. take baseball - a pitcher throwing a complete game, a 450-foot home run, stealing 3rd base - it's a beautiful, choreographed event with moments of improvisation and spontaneity. sort of like a good concert. in fact, exactly like a good concert, when you look at it that way.

#18 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

:funny1:

Posted Image

#19 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

i enjoy sports. i used to play some fairly rough games, but am now unable to withstand that sort of physical beating. though i haven't changed my love of some sporting events, so watching/cheering is as close as it's going to get for me in many respects.

#20 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

:funny1:

Posted Image

this...this is why i've always straddled the line between the jocks and the nerds. take the best of both worlds. :lol:

#21 Spidergawd

Spidergawd
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,665 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Excellent strategy. :lol:

#22 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,274 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

I get why people like to watch sports on TV.
What I don't get is why they like to YELL AT THE TV!!!! :dunno:

#23 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

i love baseball. if you have about 15+ hours to burn i would recommend ken burns 'baseball' documentary. currently on netflix streaming. it answers your question, as it pertains to baseball, far better than anyone on here will.

#24 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

Watching people punch/beat each other for entertainment or some other kind of kick, still eludes me.

Does it have to do with the bobbing and weaving?

#25 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Watching people punch/beat each other for entertainment or some other kind of kick, still eludes me.

i'm not a fan of any sport where the goal is to render your opponent unconscious. however, i'll say it's fascinating to watch when it happens. i can understand the spectator aspect of it.

#26 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

i should have said that. I actually love boxing, MMA and UFC ultimate fighter. I'm not sure why, but being that I grew up on martial arts films, it's still one of the "guy" things I guess....

#27 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,382 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

drive fast, turn left

#28 Strange Mark

Strange Mark
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

You obviously haven't seen the Patriots defense this year. :bash:

#29 blindmule

blindmule
  • VibeTribe
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I love football, but that is really it.
Love stats, history all of the teams and their standings, plays, everything.
I just find the sport really interesting and exciting!

#30 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,274 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

You obviously haven't seen the Patriots defense this year. :bash:

I have and it's definitely not the TV's fault.

#31 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,428 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I am not a fan of sports. I especially don't like that horrible behavior of athletes when they are supposed to be role models or at least kids are told that. I also don't get why people say things like "We did it" when their team wins. I don't say "We rocked that buddha" when the biscuits play well I say that they did. People watching sports didn't do shit but sit on there ass, eat chips and drink beer.

#32 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,236 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

People watching sports didn't do shit but sit on there ass, eat chips and drink beer.

But that's my job! :lol:

#33 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

This. It does for me. :shamed:

#34 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

there's a beauty to any sport when it's played at an exceptional level. take baseball - a pitcher throwing a complete game, a 450-foot home run, stealing 3rd base - it's a beautiful, choreographed event with moments of improvisation and spontaneity. sort of like a good concert. in fact, exactly like a good concert, when you look at it that way.

Well said!! I couldn't agree more. :thumbsup:

#35 jnjn

jnjn
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,873 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

because sometimes the tv needs a talking to!! :lol:
actually, i think it's my way of interacting w/ the game and/or sports announcers.
& yes i realize they can't hear me, but sometimes i like to think they can :funny1:

one reason why people enjoy watching sports is that it's a great way to "escape" for a few hours

#36 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yellin' at the TV during the game in a quiet house while other parties are reading. :rolleyes:

#37 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

I can't watch sports with Mrs Joker because she yells and screams so much :lol:

#38 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Growing up we had one TV for a long time. It was in the family room where my Dad would watch the Yankees EVERY night. No debates. Didn't matter if he fell asleep on the couch. Changing channels was not an option. Don't even think about it. Yankees 100 and whatever games per year.

So of course I became a Red Sox fan :lol:

Today I find myself watching 100 and whatever Red Sox games per year.

You're right, it is a great distraction from the rest of the world. You get engrossed in the game, the players, the strategies. And you forget just for awhile about mortgages and job searches and wars.

Football, a weekend requirement in my house, is similar but different. I can watch any football game. Its a gladiator sport. For those who have played, you know how that controlled aggression makes you feel. Sure theres pain, and casualties, and because of that its inherently cruel, but theres no denying the drama and adrenaline rushes that come with football. Watching men beat each other up and sometimes will their way to victory can be inspirational.

And mostly that is why I watch.

That and having a little dough on the games :rose:

#39 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,520 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

That and having a little dough on the games :rose:

I don't watch nearly as much since I stopped betting :lol:

#40 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't watch nearly as much since I stopped betting :lol:

Yeah, it was tough to watch say Jacksonville and the Colts without SOMETHING on it :lol:

#41 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,457 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

:lol:

Having a stake in the game would make me sit up and take notice for certain.

#42 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,274 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

I can't watch sports with Mrs Joker because she yells and screams so much :lol:

So you're blaming your behavior on the TV? :huh:

#43 staggerlee024

staggerlee024
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Growing up we had one TV for a long time. It was in the family room where my Dad would watch the Yankees EVERY night. No debates. Didn't matter if he fell asleep on the couch. Changing channels was not an option. Don't even think about it. Yankees 100 and whatever games per year.

So of course I became a Red Sox fan :lol:

Today I find myself watching 100 and whatever Red Sox games per year.

You're right, it is a great distraction from the rest of the world. You get engrossed in the game, the players, the strategies. And you forget just for awhile about mortgages and job searches and wars.

Football, a weekend requirement in my house, is similar but different. I can watch any football game. Its a gladiator sport. For those who have played, you know how that controlled aggression makes you feel. Sure theres pain, and casualties, and because of that its inherently cruel, but theres no denying the drama and adrenaline rushes that come with football. Watching men beat each other up and sometimes will their way to victory can be inspirational.

And mostly that is why I watch.

well said

#44 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,428 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I find it even funnier when a woman starts dating a guy and their first months of fb posting all they do is complain about sports. Then they seem to give up and root, root, root. seriously?:lol:

#45 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,222 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

the other day i got to spend some quality time with the neighbors dog while he and his son watched the game :wink:

#46 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Athletic achievement can be a beautiful thing to behold. For many, it's a chance to witness the sport we played as children at a supreme level. We wish we could perform at that level, and we live vicariously through the professional. For others, it's a sense of pride for the local 9 or local 11. And for others, it's a sense of patriotism when we watch international sport. Plenty of reasons to watch and enjoy the game but for many, it's taken too seriously. Perspective is in order for many.

#47 butterqueen

butterqueen
  • VibeTribe
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

I knew andy would post in this one, typos and all.

I don't like football or baseball much, but have definitely experienced a few great moments watching it. Watching the Phil's win the World Series in a bar full of people, everyone screaming and cheering with each moment, that is electric.

I have always liked ice skating and gymnastics at the olympics because there is a little girl in me that wishes she could be that awesome at backhandsprings/spins.

When Andy puts on the average football/baseball game, I want to shoot myself. I usually make a face.

#48 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,253 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

I prefer syrup.

#49 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:02 PM