Trying to grow Aloe... Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iammiraculous

iammiraculous

• VibeTribe
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

So I have been trying to grow Aloe for about 6 months now, and slowly the little guys have been coming up! I'm just looking for some advice in terms of keeping them going to live full and awesome lives! Thanks! :shine:

#2 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

i killed an aloe, you don't want my help! :funny1: good luck though!

#3 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

Don't water them too much - twice a month max during the winter, more frequently during their growing season (April - October.) Make sure you are using a well-draining soil - sandy cactus potting mix is best, a rich black soil is too much for aloe plants. Give them full sun - these are succulents that grown in the south, so treat them as a cactus - not much water, dry well-draining soil and lots of sunlight is pretty much all they need. Succulents don't like being watered when they are dorment in the winter months, so if you are questioning watering it, you'd be better off not to. They can go outside in the summertime, but even a soft frost will harm them, so don't put them out too early or bring them in too late.

Good luck, aloes are great plants to have in the house!

#4 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

I feel the plant, if it starts to feel soft and squishy, I give it a little water. They don't need much though. I have 3 p ots of them in the house. Awesome plant to have around for burns. Just break a piece off and spread it on a burn.