Wedding Costs & Ways to Save Money

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 moonstone

moonstone
  • VibeTribe
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

It is looking like a hefty penny is going to get dropped to get married.

How much is your wedding budget?

What are the best cost saving tips?

How can I rationalize that I could be saving a small village in Thailand, but instead I'm throwing a party???

#2 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Our budget was 10k. It's looking like it's going to come in at around 7500 instead!

Craigslist saved us a lot of money, we found our DJ on there.
My uncle is a florist, so he's only charging us for the cost of flowers.
www.vistaprint.com - Best.Website.Ever We got our Save the Dates and our photoshare cards there (photoshare is for people who take pictures with their digital cameras, and can upload them onto a site like shutterfly for you)
We got our invitations at http://www.vponsale.com/invitations/ great prices and great to work with. With that many guests, I highly suggest not making your own invites, it's really time consuming and can cost just as much as buying invites

Reach out to friends!!! So many people are willing to help/provide for you.
Maybe look into having a jack and jill. Charge an entrance fee. Our friends raised about $3500 at theirs

#3 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

entrance fee?? that seems kinda tacky, no?

#4 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

entrance fee?? that seems kinda tacky, no?

The jack and jill I went to was just a big huge party, so paying admission was totally cool.. it was cool because it was all of the close friends of the bride and groom, all around the same age/mentality.. we just partied it up for a few hours and made them some money!!!

#5 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:48 AM

The jack and jill I went to was just a big huge party, so paying admission was totally cool.. it was cool because it was all of the close friends of the bride and groom, all around the same age/mentality.. we just partied it up for a few hours and made them some money!!!

Exactly! That's what a Jack and Jill is! And some people do raffles too!

#6 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:40 AM

i must be missing something. what's a jack & jill?

#7 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:39 AM

n00b :)

#8 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:40 AM

My budget was 5K and we rolled in at around 10K :lol:

#9 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Here's a good explanation :

The fundraiser part (at least in NW PA) has always been known as a "stag and drag". (go ahead and laugh, it's funny). Not everyone has this. The idea behind it is to have the wedding party (and perhaps some friends) sell tickets for say $5 to a picnic-type party where the food is supplied (usually *** luck from family and friends or from the wedding party) and the beer is also supplied (either by the bride and groom to be or with help from family, etc). Each ticket admits the buyer and a guest (rules are always negotiable, just sharing what I have experienced). In addition, people often make and sell jello shots, and raffle off baskets of goodies, etc...the sky is the limit. And usually some music is in order - a friend with an ipod/boom box and some speakers will do it. It can be in a fire hall, bar, picnic pavillion - anything you want.

#10 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

I was actually googling this last night. :funny1:

Until we sell our house, I'm not sure what our budget is. Once that is done, then I can actually start planning! :bliss:

#11 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

we spent about 6k.

that included:

the rings-- $2500

B&B for the wedding party-- $900

the restaurant, which was a buffet dinner with 4 entrees, sides, dessert, salad and rolls and open bar for 50 people. We ran a bar tab instead of paying for open bar for each one, since a lot of our guests don't drink alcohol. Our best man brought 2 cases of wine, so that saved us a lot of $$. total about $2200

marriage license and related fees $75

my outfit ($50 total--dress was $30, I got a vintage one off the internet, a shawl at Ross, and shoes at Marshall's). His shirt was $15 on sale at Kohl's

flowers ($20 at Trader Joe's for 2 bunches, then a couple of rolls of ribbon from AC Moore, my matron of honor made the bouquets and boutinnieres)

photography was free. we were going to pay a friend of ours to do it but she backed out at the last minute due to health issues (or so she claimed). That would have run us around 1k. our matron of honor's husband took the pictures.

not bad for planning it in 3 months, huh? :lol:

#12 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

we didn't have a budget per se, but we ended up spending around $3000 and had 19 guests+ us + 2 photographers

Venue: $86 (state park picnic pavilion, reserved for an entire day, could have sat up to 50 guests)

Food: $500+80 tip for delivery/setup=$580 (had it catered buffet style by a local awesome Italian specialty market place, including fancy cheese and crackers and crudite for pre-ceremony appetizers, variety of fancy sandwiches for the main course, 3 fancy cakes + fruit platter for dessert) (I know sandwiches are a little less fancy, but they were awesome and we were going for a 'picnic lunch' theme)

Other food: Around $50 (we made a pesto pasta salad and a big fancy regular salad as side dishes and bought some kosher sandwiches/grape leaves/cookies for our kosher-keeping guests)

Drinks + ice: ~$150 (did not have alcohol, got fancy bottled drinks in a bunch of individual-sized glass bottles)

Rings: $475 (from eweddingbands.com- we got 5mm thick plain palladium bands that are both engraved. Palladium is in the platinum metal group and costs around the same as white gold but doesn't scratch as easily and retains the whitish color without replating)

Photographer: $500 + $100 for two mini photo albums- we had a semi-professional photographer friend + her husband be the photographers, price includes shooting and editing and 2 small albums (around 25 pages each, one for us one for the inlaws), and we can purchase photos individually for a pretty low cost once she has them up on the website.

Video- Free (friend of ours videotaped the ceremony with our video camera and then walked around videotaping other stuff after the ceremony was over)

Thrift store Plates and Mason Jars (for center pieces): $75 (we bought all the plates- appetizer, main course, and dessert plates- from the thrift store. None of them matched but they were all fancy looking)

Invitations: $27 (handmade by me and my friend, just paid for the price of blank cards, envelopes and stamps)

wedding license: $90

My Dress: $80 (fancy non-wedding dress from nordstroms that was majorly on sale for like 70% off- I didn't want to wear a white dress, and I wanted something I could wear again at future fancy occasions)

Having dress taken in: $40

Necklace/earrings: $40 (glass pendant necklace from etsy.com- when I told the glass person I was going to use the necklace during my wedding she made me a pair of free matching earrings too!)

Hair veil/silk flower thing: $15 (also from etsy.com)

fancy strapless bra: $50

new fancy makeup: $80

My Shoes: $85

Pants/vest/shirt/tie for Brett: ~$150 at Kohls

Candles, fancy river rocks, stamps for centerpieces from Michaels (candles in mason jars held in place by fancy rocks, jars stamped said "All you need is love", I made them): ~$60

Odds and ends: (bowls for side dishes, fancy plasticware, bubbles, thank you cards, other stuff I'm not thinking of) ~$100

Tablecloths: Free, borrowed from mother in law

table cloth clips so the tablecloths wouldn't blow away: $20

Total: ~$2850

#13 Moose

Moose
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

Feel free to drop me a line for a photographer. I love, love, love working with boardies and I shoot destination weddings outside of CT for the cost of travel + a reasonable (much much lower than industry standard) hourly fee.
I include DVD's of Final Web Formatted photos, DVD's of Final Print Versions and a DVD of my RAW images out of the camera with no processing, full coverage on my photoblog of your event and a flickr account with your own password so that you can easily share the images from your awesome day with all your friends. The cost includes a waiver for lifetime photographic reproduction and another waiver stating that later on down the road you can take *my* raw images and bring them to another photographer and have them work on them too! I also have the option to get prints directly from my gallery quality professional print service too.

For examples of my photography, click the banner in my signature or follow this link to www.polarityphoto.com
Get a hold of me here or at my email address at polarityphoto -at- gmail.com

#14 moonstone

moonstone
  • VibeTribe
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Brody - I think your work is amazing. If I had it in the budget to bring you down to florida for my wedding (and if I didn't already sign another contract :wink:) I would have considered it.

Glad to see you are living your dream.

Been in any abandoned buildings lately?