how does a music producer find work?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

are they managed by someone similar to other musicians or entertainers? just wondering... someone our family knows just produced a #1 in the UK and it got us to wondering more what the role of music producer was and how it worked. that is all! :mrgreen:

#2 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

I hear there's a high unemployment rate for jamband music producers :funny1:

#3 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:52 AM

paint me blond bc i dont get it? :blush:

#4 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,218 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:41 AM

I'm sure it's word of mouth, and meeting people when "out." That's how the art world works.

#5 orion

orion
  • VibeTribe
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:03 AM

There's a few ways it can work out, but like most things it usually involves timing, talent or reputation. Some producers get lucky early on, others toil in the shadows for a lifetime.

Often a record label or artist will have their go-to producers for certain styles or genres of music, or to get a certain signature sound (think MGMT). It can be as simple (yet sublimely important) as putting all of the right people in a room together, sitting back and watching the magic happen. It can also happen that a producer must re-write the music, tune the instruments, teach the band how to play and make sure the engineer hits record.

These days, individuals creating music on computers are sometimes referred to as "producers", but in a traditional sense a producer really has to possess good people skills and a fair bit of musical talent themselves. Young producers are always listening for the next band they can try and develop into a successful act, hoping to ride the wave.

There is an excellent movie titled The Language of Music about an excellent man and producer, Tom Dowd.

#6 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:20 AM

oh wow, very informative!

so a popular producer probably has lots of job opportunities thrown at them, and they get their pick? do they ever have manager or assistant type people to help them sort thru all that? (if they are really big i would imagine sorting thru job opportunities could be a full time job by itself?)

im going to check that movie out, thanks! :Phishfolk:

#7 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

It can be as simple (yet sublimely important) as putting all of the right people in a room together, sitting back and watching the magic happen. It can also happen that a producer must re-write the music, tune the instruments, teach the band how to play and make sure the engineer hits record.

especially helpful... much more so than the wiki bits i found!

#8 orion

orion
  • VibeTribe
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

Yes producers can use agents to get work, although it's a bit more informal than actors or writers. There is a fair amount of serendipity in certain projects coming together and often a producer gets a shot because the band or label's first choice wasn't available. A sought after producer can have a long waiting list, but a band often has to strike while the energy is hot!

#9 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,553 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

There is an excellent movie titled The Language of Music about an excellent man and producer, Tom Dowd.

Good call, that's a great film that shows Tom as not only a great producer, but also a brilliant recording engineer.

Also worth checking out is All You Need Is Ears by which is a great book about George Martin's production work as the 5th Beatle.

#10 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

word, thanks guys! all u need is ears, will check it out.

btw... if you just go to google video and just type in language of music you get all SORTS of interesting returns! im watching some library of congress video on neuromusic now.... :Phishfolk:

#11 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

OH! the reason i started this thread... i was chatting w my mom about jon, our family friend that is a producer, and she looks at me and says... well what does the music producer do anyway? "is he the guy that decides if it needs more cowbell?"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

#12 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,462 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

:lol: :lol:

#13 suburbanite84

suburbanite84
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

A friend from college works in movies (not anything big time like producing but movies none the less) and he said it is mostly word of mouth reccommendations(too many C's or M's?). A crew is starting production and puts together a team. People he has worked with before say John has done good work before, hire him.

#14 orion

orion
  • VibeTribe
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yes, I do believe Brice Dickinson was producing on that session. :wink:

#15 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I love the kittrocks "How does...?" board series. Always a good question, and usually something that isn't easily searchable on the web. :D

#16 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

OH! the reason i started this thread... i was chatting w my mom about jon, our family friend that is a producer, and she looks at me and says... well what does the music producer do anyway? "is he the guy that decides if it needs more cowbell?"

Actually, yes. That is part of it. A producer will suggest instrumentation, a bit of arranging, decide if effects or overdubs should be used, hire extra players, go to apartments and drag hung-over guitar players off the couch, tell the intern to order vegan Indian food, and generally coach the artists to give a kick-ass performance when the recorder is on.

Some people may get record production work because an artist likes how the producer did arrangements for his own band. In some cases, it's not who you know, it's who you ... nevermind.

#17 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Record_producer

#18 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

I was recently working with a producer who did nothing more than purchase the domain name "occupyeverywhere.com". He is now producing a record featuring Crosby & Nash, Warren Hayes, Jackson Browne (and many more).
...and to think 6 months ago he was brokering insurance. :funny1:

#19 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

as he smiles and wipes his chin

#20 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

as he smiles and wipes his chin

:lol:
Not really. These artists (and especially Michael Moore) really want in on this project. Every track and all the session time has been donated. :shocked:

#21 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Sio ... where does the money go?

#22 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Sio ... where does the money go?

Apparently it's all getting donated to "the cause".

Which is another way of saying: I'm not quite sure (but apparently there's enough donated material for 3 CDs). :lol:

#23 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

All proceeds benefit the Haynes-Moore Cheeseburger Fund.

#24 Feesh

Feesh
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

All proceeds benefit the Haynes-Moore Cheeseburger Fund.

Meanwhile the last I had spoken to this kid he asked if I could call back because he was in the middle of talking with producers from HBO about filming a concert special.
All because of the timely purchase of a domain name.

...and I hope that helps answer your question KittyRocks. :lol:

#25 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

I love the kittrocks "How does...?" board series. Always a good question, and usually something that isn't easily searchable on the web. :D

tee hee hee. ya i do use google! if you could break google from overuse, i would have done it already. and as for the wiki.... i already looked at that! it kind of only confused me more, hehehe. :blush:

i loved orion's explanation!

when i come here to ask questions i either:
-have already searched google and not really found the clarification i was looking for
OR
-sometimes i ask things that are very easily searched on google but ive said it before and i will say it again: sometimes there is just no substitute to talking to real live people that you know and getting the info first hand!

so all you "let me google that for you" peeps know what to do! :moon:

#26 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

...and I hope that helps answer your question KittyRocks. :lol:

sure does!

1) purchase domain name
2) ???
3) profit!!!!

:funny1:

#27 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

I was being serious, Julia!!! I like the "How does...?" series. :D

I just put the producer wiki in there because you also asked what they do, along with the main question, how do they find work...

:D

Smiley = Serious and Happy

;)

Winky = Kidding and Happy

:one:

One = Overserious and Unhappy

#28 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 420 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

Many producers are notable musicians or once-notable musicians. An example of the former is Prince. An example of the latter is Linda Perry (of 4 Non Blondes fame).

#29 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,218 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

This thread needs more cowbell. :robberry:

#30 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

This thread needs more cowbell. :robberry:

:funny1:

http://t1.gstatic.co...P08RATaXida14Vw

I was being serious, Julia!!! I like the "How does...?" series. :D

oh i know! im sorry i should have clarified. but while you were on the topic i got to thinking of many others who have told me to google something. like i have never heard of google. hehe. its a pet peeve of mine.

actually i really appreciated your comment! :mrgreen:

:one:

One = Overserious and Unhappy

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

#31 orion

orion
  • VibeTribe
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

Many producers are notable musicians or once-notable musicians.

Such as Larry Campbell. The long-time Dylan guitarist, Phil Lesh string man, and Levon Helm band leader produced Levon's two recent Grammy-winning albums.

He's produced for dozens of other artists, too.

#32 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,561 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

Three GD albums, three producers.

Terrapin Station (Keith Olsen - Dr. John, Fleetwood Mac)
Shakedown Street (Lowell George)
Go to Heaven (Gary Lyons - also produced Queen's A Night at the Opera and later the Rolling Stones' Tattoo You)