86 replies to this topic

#1 Grateful Dad

Grateful Dad
  • VibeTribe
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

First off Merry Christmas to all

now down to post

I have a question and I know it's probably early but I really had nothing to do at the moment and decided to peek at the Vibes forum.

Once again I did have a nice time last year at the Vibes

here's the but

I was wondering what improvements if any will be made in VIP to address the overrun of VISITORS and GUESTS on the VIP platform during nighttime performances.

After spending $420 of my and others hard earned money it was quite disheartening to see the platform overcrowded with so many people WITHOUT VIP badges/credentials. At times I felt duped at spending the money. It was pretty much a free for all and I couldn't notice how poor the security if any was done on the platform. It appeared at times there as many or more non VIP guests than VIP guests

I wasn't sure if I was able to just go get a bunch of friends to join me on the platform. Were VIP people allowed to bring guests? If so, I didn't realize this. If no, then this should be addressed in this coming years festival.

I know I wasn't the only one who noticed, maybe I'm the only one who cared (I guess that makes me a downer)....I don't mean to be, but if you are going to take my money and offer a 'special' experie nce then let us know if VIP will be run the same way and I"ll just get a regular weekend pass.

PS- lastly, please get lots of Large fans to move the air in the VIP tent

otherwise it was a great festival

#2 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,655 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

lolvip:pimp::monkey:

#3 Tooozday

Tooozday
  • VibeTribe
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

Hey, I'm a Large fan. And I vote :wink:

#4 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

First off Merry Christmas to all

now down to post

I have a question and I know it's probably early but I really had nothing to do at the moment and decided to peek at the Vibes forum.

Once again I did have a nice time last year at the Vibes

here's the but

I was wondering what improvements if any will be made in VIP to address the overrun of VISITORS and GUESTS on the VIP platform during nighttime performances.

After spending $420 of my and others hard earned money it was quite disheartening to see the platform overcrowded with so many people WITHOUT VIP badges/credentials. At times I felt duped at spending the money. It was pretty much a free for all and I couldn't notice how poor the security if any was done on the platform. It appeared at times there as many or more non VIP guests than VIP guests

I wasn't sure if I was able to just go get a bunch of friends to join me on the platform. Were VIP people allowed to bring guests? If so, I didn't realize this. If no, then this should be addressed in this coming years festival.

I know I wasn't the only one who noticed, maybe I'm the only one who cared (I guess that makes me a downer)....I don't mean to be, but if you are going to take my money and offer a 'special' experie nce then let us know if VIP will be run the same way and I"ll just get a regular weekend pass.

otherwise it was a great festival

Amen!

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Happy New Year!

Grateful Dad, thank you for the feedback. My experience Friday night during Furthur was of strict security checking to enter the viewing platform via the VIP tent. Can you recall the time frames when you noted the excess non-credentialed people on the viewing platform? (I am assuming that you are talking about folks without either a laminet or a stickie.) No, VIP folks were not supposed to be allowed to bring guests onto the platform.

Fans sure would have been nice last year!

#6 The Grateful Dad

The Grateful Dad
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi Teo,

Let me say that without a doubt I had conversation with at least a dozen NON VIP badged, banded people during the FURTHER concert, also during Elvis and also during Janes Addiction. I also had conversations with other VIP badged guests who noticed the same.

I'm not sure my recalling the times and acts I saw this will do, it was not during the daytime shows but when the platform got mobbed at night/dark it was then that the paltform got overrun.

Perhaps your section was all VIP badged, unfortunetly I doubt that because it was hard to miss and if a small amount I would have not be mentioning this for an otherwise great festival. It was enough that I felt (like I said before) duped.

I'm not looking to throw the workers under the bus, but I'd like to know this coming year that when I spend my hard earned money that others who have not paid are getting the same for nothing.

I guess I'll leave it at that........but don't forget the FANS!!! (yes I am a fan too).

#7 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

and im sure all us peasants in gen-pop are paying more for our tickets so lolvip can have its improvements:rolleyes:

cant change that 420 number cause its sooo cool maaaan:lol:

#8 smagnolia

smagnolia
  • VibeTribe
  • 372 posts
  • LocationRutland, VT

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

and im sure all us peasants in gen-pop are paying more for our tickets so lolvip can have its improvements:rolleyes:

I totally agree. The camping prices go up every year but I can't remember when the VIP went up. Maybe that's why the improvements aren't there.
:bang:

#9 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:32 AM

I totally agree. The camping prices go up every year but I can't remember when the VIP went up. Maybe that's why the improvements aren't there.
:bang:

If 420 smackers sounds sooooo reasonable why not spend the extra dough :nulo:

#10 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for the feedback Grateful Dad. :smile:

#11 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 16,092 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

Non-badged doesn't necessarily mean non-credentialed. It's my understanding that folks on the "guest lists" of the bands, who have stickers, but not laminates are allowed in VIP as well.

#12 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Non-badged doesn't necessarily mean non-credentialed. It's my understanding that folks on the "guest lists" of the bands, who have stickers, but not laminates are allowed in VIP as well.

Correct, there were VIP stickies/Special guest stickies which you will see I noted stickies as credentialed people in my post. :wink:

#13 screwjack

screwjack

• VibeTribe
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

I had the same impression (see thread at http://www.gathering...ead.php?t=61500)

I suspect that the non-VIP badged folks were a combo of band lists and sponsor guest lists.

I'm sure the organizers view sponsors as, essentially, paying customers on par with VIPs, but it would be nice if either they were given their own area or the deck was enlarged - cuz it was PACKED both Fri and Sat eves. The tent was similarly overrun.

#14 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

i know at least 1 guy that had some issues with the wrong mix of credentials and the vip platform so it might have been a hit or miss type of situation.

as for the price, in 2011 we did get hit with a new surcharge - so the total price did go up.
not sure if the extra fee went up for 2012 or not.

good luck with this year.

#15 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

I was talking to one of the kids trying to check passes of people coming on to the platform, he was pretty much doing it by himself which was nearly impossible with 2 or 3 different ways up. Poor kid had done a 12 hour shift and he wasn't relieved until well after his shift was over. To his credit he was busting his ass running around up there trying to do the right thing even though it was like trying to hold back the ocean :lol:

#16 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

maybe it should just be considered one zone , so if you are in the tent, you can go onto the platform.
might need a bigger platform, or cut back the number of non paying guests going into the tent.

#17 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:51 AM

Ah ha, I never went far enough into the tent this year to know there was more than one way onto the platform. :shamed:

#18 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

If 420 smackers sounds sooooo reasonable why not spend the extra dough :nulo:

im just pokin fun...175 to me is where its at...i did vip 3 times...i know what im missing :)

#19 Luvsdaizies

Luvsdaizies

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hey Grateful Dad! Thanks for the feedback. I will be sure to pass this on. While there are several levels or people who are permitted into the VIP area all weekend, they are not all permitted on the viewing platform during the headliners. I will make sure that we keep an eye on that this year.

While you may not have seen their credentials, I assure you *most* of those people were credentialed in some way. As mentioned above, these could have been sponsors, family, guests, bands, band guests, staff ect.

We do pay careful attention to who can be admitted to the VIP tent, and will continue to do so.

Thanks again for the feed back!

#20 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

im just pokin fun...175 to me is where its at...i did vip 3 times...i know what im missing :)

So am I...I hardly use any of the vip perks other than quick entry clean shitters and apparently no problems at any gates with security...always thought it was cuz I was the shit:undecided:

#21 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

Oh...and I really don't utilize the viewing platform...smells like...OLD PEOPLE!!!:eek1:

#22 The Grateful Dad

The Grateful Dad
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hey, I made it up the 3 steps to the platform :pimp:

oh by the way this old guy has attended plenty of concerts you never could
and probably wish you could have, I'll not list them here but

WOODSTOCK was one of many :v:

Not to defend myself for getting up in age

I hang with many young people and have great times with them, you on the other hand are blinded.

lastly, you will be old one day and I hope young people treat you like you probably treat old people, what comes around goes around. :clapping:

#23 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,835 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

:lol:

Glad that I am mindful of being respectful of others so that I can enjoy what comes around. :smile:

Grateful Dad, did you attend any early Stones shows? :crazy: If yes, how were they?

#24 The Grateful Dad

The Grateful Dad
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

Unfortunetly, the only Rolling Stones concert I ever attended was in New York's Madison Square Garden July of 72

I wish I could have some of those brain cells back

What I can remember is it was mostly Exile on Main Street songs and Jaggers birthday!
I was 19 then...............hmmmm

cheap seats of course :cool: So not able to see much, I can recall being so f'ed up (not proud) I wasn't keeping my eyes on the prize on stage as much as I should have.

#25 Joker

Joker
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

Oh...and I really don't utilize the viewing platform...smells like...OLD PEOPLE!!!:eek1:

Would you mind stepping closer so I can whack you with my cane? :joker:

#26 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

:lol:

#27 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Would you mind stepping closer so I can whack you with my cane? :joker:

I'm just glad GD memtioned Woodstock and not something like pearl jam...it woulda meant I was smelling myself:funny1:

#28 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Hey, I made it up the 3 steps to the platform :pimp:

Not to defend myself for getting up in age

I hang with many young people and have great times with them, you on the other hand are blinded.

lastly, you will be old one day and I hope young people treat you like you probably treat old people, what comes around goes around. :clapping:

I already am old:undecided:

Just not as old as you...hoooraaay:ura1:

:funny1:

#29 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

I hang with many young people and have great times with them, you on the other hand are blinded.:

I hang with with the young 'uns too...

[x] nice high horse post though:undecided:

I hope so too.

#30 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

when someone new comes onto a message board with questions and concerns it will be in said persons best interest not to insult the people he is asking the questions too :dunno:

#31 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

i guess that means you should have some automatic street cred around here? :funny1:

but no, actually your wrong...woodstock was a mess i prolly wouldn't have enjoyed.:lol:
im glad you have ur stories though ;)

#32 mcm

mcm
  • VibeTribe
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

when someone new comes onto a message board with questions and concerns it will be in said persons best interest not to insult the people he is asking the questions too :dunno:

in my reading of this thread, it is java_time, not the OP who steered towards negativity.

#33 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Read the third post on here after OP...

Now if the OP couldn't or wouldn't recognize my old joke as a joke...especially after I joked again @my oldness re jokers post re a cane well then I'm very sorry for that...:bravefacebutcryingontheinside:

Edited by Java Time, 09 January 2012 - 09:49 PM.
it's really the 4th post but third after the OP...

#34 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

in my reading of this thread, it is java_time, not the OP who steered towards negativity.

read it again...I think you made a boo-boo:funny1:

#35 mayfly

mayfly
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

I know I wore my laminate under my T shirt but I was requested to produce it prior to entering the VIP tent, and I returned it back to under my shirt, so it is possible you saw some of us undercover VIP-ers :v:

#36 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

With the new additional VIP platform in the middle of the field in 2010 and 2011, I did notice that the one security staffer at the staircase checking for laminates, etc was a bit overwhelmed with the size of the crowd. Also, folks can very easily climb up on that platform (I saw dozens of people do this). I'm sure it's a tough thing to control but it does kinda suck for the folks who pay extra for it.

As far as the VIP tent and it's associated platform, the amount of folks with stickers can be huge at times and the tent gets kind of crowded during big acts. ALso, some folks do mange to sneak in which can happen at any large event. I think the security staff does a great job, but they aren't perfect. When I would find someone bragging that they snuck in (or just obviously snuck in) I was happy to point them out to security :) and it was addressed immediately.

However, as a whole, I always go VIP because I love it and it's totally worth it to me!! The amenities are always great and I leave happy every year :heart:

#37 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:09 AM

:rolleyes:

Seriously? :lol:

#38 The Grateful Dad

The Grateful Dad
  • VibeTribe
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Java time, just joshing back.

My skin is pretty thick ....... and well preserved from all the sheet I've done .

My come back while farty was just being sarcastic too....i really dont speak/think like that usually. :rotf:

But my comments about the VIP platform were the topic, not the people who pay for VIP.
btw- I spent the last 7 or so Vibes in Boardie and wanted to check out VIP.

I'll probably be going back to Boardie anyway but wanted to comment on improvements.

Now if they could just reserve some cooler temps this year :thumbsup:

#39 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:14 AM

:rolleyes:

Seriously? :lol:

:rolling:

im being mostly sarcastic but how long has it been since vip tickets went up? and in that time how many "improvements" were made? many.
then compare that to how much gen-pop tickets have gone up. a lot.... every year since they been back to BP. so it stands to reason that any improvements made in vip are being funneled out of increased gen pop ticket prices. as the money has to come from somewhere.

so every time yall start yelling for improvements in vip?...its coming out of general campers pockets :spank:
not that im tryin to make you feel bad or anything. :funny1:

#40 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

Java time, just joshing back.

My skin is pretty thick ....... and well preserved from all the sheet I've done .

My come back while farty was just being sarcastic too....i really dont speak/think like that usually. :rotf:

But my comments about the VIP platform were the topic, not the people who pay for VIP.
btw- I spent the last 7 or so Vibes in Boardie and wanted to check out VIP.

I'll probably be going back to Boardie anyway but wanted to comment on improvements.

Now if they could just reserve some cooler temps this year :thumbsup:

It's all good...I understand what you were saying

@420 smackers I don't want the piss boy hanging on my front porch either

#41 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

im being mostly sarcastic but how long has it been since vip tickets went up? and in that time how many "improvements" were made? many.
then compare that to how much gen-pop tickets have gone up. a lot.... every year since they been back to BP. so it stands to reason that any improvements made in vip are being funneled out of increased gen pop ticket prices. as the money has to come from somewhere.

so every time yall start yelling for improvements in vip?...its coming out of general campers pockets :spank:

I'd have to disagree Capn'. I've been VIP for a long time now, and if anything theres been cut backs on some things, and little in additions to what we were already getting.

#42 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Oh Augie, this is so dramatic...

But very funny! :funny1:

"coming out of general campers pockets"

#43 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

an don't forget our additional fee on top of the $420 , for special handling :thumbsup:

#44 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,526 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'd have to disagree Capn'. I've been VIP for a long time now, and if anything theres been cut backs on some things, and little in additions to what we were already getting.

well THAT doesnt help my argument :lol:

Oh Augie, this is so dramatic...

But very funny! :funny1:

"coming out of general campers pockets"

take everything i say with a grain of salt....as im usually only 66.66% serious:funny1: :)

#45 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

take everything i say with a grain of salt....as im usually only 66.66% serious:funny1:

I know! :funny1:

#46 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

an don't forget our additional fee on top of the $420 , for special handling :thumbsup:

not to mention the increase for a cup o' beer...no longer half-priced...and my goodness gracious folks...

at least let us walk out of VIP with one beer please?!? I like to be able to walk around the concert area from time to time with a drink in hand...especially when it's 103 degrees out

#47 Feck

Feck
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

you might be handing them off, 1 at a time to underage,non vipers or selling them for profit :wink:

#48 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,319 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

you might be handing them off, 1 at a time to underage,non vipers or selling them for profit :wink:

I thought collecting underpants = profit? :huh:

#49 Java Time

Java Time
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,058 posts
  • Locationthe Island

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

damn...they are so on top of things those wile e. coyotes...of course thats exactly what I would do...with MY ONE BEER?!?:rolleyes::funny1:

not for nothing buuuut...with perhaps the exception of me, VIP'rs prolly don't need to sell one or two of the beers they can purchase at a time.:coffee:

#50 kenbud

kenbud
  • VibeTribe
  • 247 posts
  • LocationDub V

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

yes let me keep my beer, just want to drink it, don't wanna throw it or sell it. Just want to enjoy. :v: