McLovins Announce McChanges for 2012

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,696 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

Citing the need to focus more on school and other interests, Jeff Howard, guitarist for The McLovins, will be leaving the band following their December 30th Pearl Street performance.

We are sad to see our close friend and bandmate, Jeffrey, leave. He is a truly remarkable guitarist and has been an integral part of an extraordinary journey that the McLovins embarked on three years ago. We will always share incredible memories of that journey, and we want to sincerely thank Jeffrey and wish him all the best in the future.

As The McLovins move forward, we are also excited about our new lineup for the band. Beginning December 31, the McLovins will evolve into a four member group. Seasoned guitarists Justin Berger, originally from Philadelphia, and Atticus Kelley, from New Britain, Connecticut, will join the band, bringing with them significant performance experience. Justin, who has played with bands in the Philadelphia area, is currently at the Hartt School of Music and will also be sharing singing with us on stage. Atticus, a multi-instrumentalist, is a studying at the Hartt School as well and will also add singing depth to the group.

The band is so thankful for the love and support from the McLovins families, fans and friends who have helped to bring us to this point in just three short but amazing years. We look forward to continuing our journey, seeking venues beyond our New England base and great opportunities in 2012.

Happy Holidays and Peace to You All,
The McLovins

#2 gdradio

gdradio
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

McDunzo

#3 Danimal

Danimal
  • VibeTribe
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

I heard his parents want him to go to college and they don't want to see him waste his life in some rock band! I also heard they never even went to one of their shows to see their son play... ::facepalms::

#4 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

I came here to post this news.

McScooped.

#5 jagermonster

jagermonster
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Hey, I know Justin! This sounds weird for him...

#6 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

I'm not McSurprised that something like this would happen considering the young age of the band members... hopefully Jeff will find his way back into performing music someday in the future, he has a lot of potential.

#7 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,387 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

I heard his parents want him to go to college and they don't want to see him waste his life in some rock band! I also heard they never even went to one of their shows to see their son play... ::facepalms::

Wait his parents want him to get an education instead of playing music for a bunch of people on droogs? The nerve. :joker::lol:

#8 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

If I recall correctly, Mrs. McHoward wasn't as comfortable with the situation as the McHuffmans and McOtts.

#9 gdradio

gdradio
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

If I recall correctly, Mrs. McHoward wasn't as comfortable with the situation as the McHuffmans and McOtts.

or as McSupportive.

I knew this McDay was McComing. I don't see them pulling this off with a new McLineup. They aren't McDeep Purple for chrissakes

#10 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

the novelty has worn off. McLovin is smart for getting out when he did. He will make a comeback in a band with a better name. kid can shred

#11 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

I also heard they never even went to one of their shows to see their son play... ::facepalms::

Not entirely true. They came to the band's first appearance on the McSunday Brunch Concert on WPKN.

#12 seany

seany
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

It'll be interesting to see if they can make it w/o McHoward - who was the most interesting piece of the band, IMO. Always thought if they added a female vocalist to the lineup - or just a better vocalist, period - they'd have a better appeal. great to see them kicking ass as youngsters, but the novelty fades. Gotta step it up if they're going to last and that will be harder w/o that guitarist.

#13 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

#14 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Wait his parents want him to get an education instead of playing music for a bunch of people on droogs? The nerve. :joker::lol:

given the direction our country is headed, the odds of making money playing music are actually inching closer to the odds of making money getting a degree or three, then trying your luck in the "real" world. shortly before she passed, my Mom pretty much told me she understands why i never gave up making music (even though it's never been my primary career path) and that i should step up my game for the reason i stated above. just one viewpoint on the situation, and i never gave up school for music (well, i did, but i got back in to school before i went too far...)

she should've talked to my Mom. :lol:

the kid made the right move. good luck in college, McHoward!

#15 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,696 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

I also heard they never even went to one of their shows to see their son play... ::facepalms::

She was at one of the band's first shows at Revolution Hall.

the novelty has worn off. McLovin is smart for getting out when he did. He will make a comeback in a band with a better name. kid can shred

I agree!! I am interested to see what he's up to with another project a couple of years down the road, away from mother's rule!!

#16 Dr. StrangeHat

Dr. StrangeHat
  • VibeTribe
  • 422 posts
  • LocationWestbrook, ME

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

A change in the line-up doesn't necessarily mean the end of the band. Look at Strangefolk. Reid left and they're now more popular than...oh, wait a minute...yeah, they're done.

#17 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,387 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

A change in the line-up doesn't necessarily mean the end of the band. Look at Strangefolk. Reid left and they're now more popular than...oh, wait a minute...yeah, they're done.

nicely played:lol:

#18 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:56 PM

A change in the line-up doesn't necessarily mean the end of the band. Look at the Grateful Dead. Jerry died and they're now more popular than...oh, wait a minute...yeah, they're done.

Exactly.

#19 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,102 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Exactly.

So, what you're saying is the McLovins should check out one of their cover bands (McLustins?) and find a Fake McHoward

#20 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

So, what you're saying is the McLovins should check out one of their cover bands (McLustins?) and find a Fake McHoward

:clapping:

Tokyo Tea Orchestra

#21 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

So I get the novelty of them being so young and all, and the first time seeing them was definitely a thrill.

But. . . at this point, I don't really see the big deal. They all sort of sound like the musicians who inspired them, especially the guitar player.

#22 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

They still sound generic, and like most jambands, have HORRIBLE vocals.

#23 maple

maple
  • VibeTribe
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Jeff Howard was amazing. Regardless though, the cynicism in this thread is pretty annoying. They're good hard working kids and great musicians and I hope they can keep their steam. 10,000 fans on Facebook is a hell of a start.

#24 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Jeff Howard was amazing. Regardless though, the cynicism in this thread is pretty annoying. They're good hard working kids and great musicians and I hope they can keep their steam. 10,000 fans on Facebook is a hell of a start.

Jeff Howard is still very much a killer guitarist, especially given his age. but the novelty factor of a kid's band wears off as the kids grow up. i think Jeff and his family probably sensed that starting to happen, and made a purely business decision. it's not like the kid's going to stop playing guitar...he's just leaving all of his doors open for the future. i'm proud of him for making the tough choice.

#25 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Their Jimmy Page is leaving, and they have no Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, or John Bonham.

McDone-alds.

#26 jg

jg
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

Sounds like he got a ton of good experience and exposure, I'm sure it will serve him/them well.
Hell how many musicians would kill to play the main stage at Vibes .... while still in High School.

#27 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

It's a tough room. :lol:

I was an early champion of the McLovins. I wouldn't have booked them on my show twice if I didn't think they good. McOtt is not only plays bass, but is also a classically trained pianist who has played in competitions, and McHuffman is going to be a McMonster drummer in the jazz fusion style. They're all good kids and serious musicians. I don't know if bringing in two guitarists from the McHartt school was the right move, but we'll find out.

#28 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,784 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Is anyone else surprised that they didn't get Warren McHaynes to fill in on axe for a while? :funny1:

#29 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

they're probably gonna start playing the McDubstep. :undecided:

#30 JBetty

JBetty
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,152 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

Is anyone else surprised that they didn't get Warren McHaynes to fill in on axe for a while? :funny1:

McLol!

#31 tyedyedee

tyedyedee

uniquely dee

• VibeTribe
  • 9,360 posts
  • Locationboston-ish

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

:spank: :funny1:

i think its a great move...
go to college and explore some other guitarists and get some life under his belt
keep practicing, maybe play out a bit
take some time and ripen his skills and develop his own flavor and style
in 5-10 years, he will bust back into the scene and still be able to claim "of the original mclovins fame" but have some distance, thus, i imagine perhaps more credibility in the scene? (i think people have firmly pigeonholed them and while i think they have a chance to break free from that, i dont think it will be easy)

#32 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,680 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

FTMcW!

#33 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

they're probably gonna start playing the McDubstep. :undecided:

When I interviewed them, Carol McHuffman, their Mcmanager said that Jake was interested in foxing with some electro components.. You may not be far off... If that turns out to be the case, I'll give it a shot, but I don't know if I'd stay a repeat customer.

If / When the new line up hits Boston, I'll def go check it out.

#34 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

great perspective, agree

#35 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:31 AM

I'm going to his last gig in Northampton on Dec 30th. Just bought 2 tickets.

#36 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,387 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:27 AM

they seriously posted a video on ptbisco under the handle cheezbiscuit:rotf:

#37 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

That last show of theirs was pretty sweet.

They took their usual concept of playing their original material and having Jeff lay "Easter eggs" in his jams to a new level... Jake and Jason essentially kept playing the backbone of the McLovins' songs and Jeff was just going all out, playing what seemed like every song he had ever thought about teasing, much to the delight of the rest of the band (don't remember Jason and Jake smiling this much in the handful of shows I've seen) and the handful of people in the crowd who picked up on those teases.

I swear I head 2 "Ghostbusters Theme" teases, a "Mountain Jam," some "When The Saints Go Marching In" (the crowd which was REALLY young actually picked up on that one) and a bunch more which I couldn't quite identify on the spot.

When they started Shakedown the kid next to me who had been screaming for it all night didn't recognize it 'til the rest of the crowd did. Funny part, he almost looked at me weird when I "whooed" a half a bar in.

All in all, a good show.

Edit, Oh and when the band wanted to play one more, and the crowd was SCREAMING for it, some manager got on stage and shut that notion down... Real quick. That was lame. I really wanted to know what they had in mind as a farewell song... Then before the Alchemystics took the stage, I took off for my hour and 45 minutes drive back home to Boston.

#38 robberry

robberry
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

Why weren't they the headliner on their "farewell show?"

#39 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

If the Alchemystics played before, and there was nobody else playing after them, then whoever shut 'em down at 11:15pm on the dot is a douchebag. Let the kids play one more song, man...

#40 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,696 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

Why weren't they the headliner on their "farewell show?"

I don't think it was planned as a farewell show for Jeff when the show was booked, just a show in a market where the Alchemystics are based and probably have a better draw.

I wonder why his last show wasn't their new year's eve show...

#41 KittyRocks

KittyRocks
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

hehe... nice background art

#42 Speckta

Speckta
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,110 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Speaking of background art, anybody ever watch Pawn Stars? Whenever they're in the office, they got this fuckin' cool Grateful Dead poster in the background.

#43 drvic

drvic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Yep, he was the one with the chops.
Gimmick band is dunzo