• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,743 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:51 AM

"This morning I posted a photo of myself on Twitter.

No more Chassidic reggae superstar.

[I]Sorry folks, all you get is me

#2 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,254 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

rehab in 5 4 3 2 :pimp:

#3 Jwheelz

Jwheelz
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationNutmeg State

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

whoa I definitely didn't see that coming... :huh:

#4 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 30,743 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

I really wonder if he's going to leave Hasidim behind. I wonder if they've left him behind. I've never really seen anything where they've publicly embraced him.

On the other hand...I've been told "no haffi dread to be Rasta" so...

#5 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

To me this seemed much more likely to happen than not. I was giving it a 80% chance.

I'd bet the hasidic period lasted at least a little longer because of his professional career.

I wouldn't be surprised if Matt (or Matthew) still connects with Jewish culture and maybe even religion, both in his music and his spirituality.

Mazel Tov Matt Miller

#6 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

superstar?

#7 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

superstar?

:lmao:
nice catch

one could argue.... but I wouldn't ;)

#8 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,254 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:07 AM

superstar?

:funny1:

He could sell out places like Hammerstein at one point now he has been regulated to much smaller venues. Probably another reason for an image makeover.

#9 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:15 AM

I think you mean relegated

#10 motti

motti
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:29 AM

to quote a friend of mine, a writer who covers jewish culture

"rather than use his unexpected fame to call attention to other jewish artists, he basically decided to totally leave the jewish community (personified by his breach in contract with JDub records) to suck up to platinum artists like POD (with whom he recorded tracks for an album with a giant crucifix on the cover) and basically become a famewhore. and the consequence is that he feels alienated from his community, depressed, and alone"
http://www.facebook....69/&h=MAQF74KlQ

#11 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:57 AM

depressed? alone?

#12 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,023 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:20 AM

@matisyahu

cool story bro

#13 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

depressed? alone?

superstar issues. :thup:

#14 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

superstar issues. :thup:

Or more likely the one who is depressed is the blog writer who is bummed Matthew dropped the beard, etc.

He seems far from depressed in his post. He seems re-juiced. "Reclaiming" himself sounds positive to me :thup:

#15 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

Or more likely the one who is depressed is the blog writer who is bummed Matthew dropped the beard, etc.

He seems far from depressed in his post. He seems re-juiced. "Reclaiming" himself sounds positive to me :thup:

seems to me that matt wrote the italicized print in the op himself.

#16 crujonez

crujonez
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,442 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

waddadouche

#17 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Like wow. Super.

#18 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,254 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Like wow. Super.

Not as exciting as important information about Rich eating things huh?:funny1:

#19 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

Now when was the last time I posted about Rich eating anything? Hmm? You tell me. :lol:

#20 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,254 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Now when was the last time I posted about Rich eating anything? Hmm? You tell me. :lol:

12/07/11 at 10:52 AM:mrgreen:

#21 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

So ...

Beatboxing Phish lot rat from White Plains almost wrecks his life, gets in with Chabad, becomes authentic Jewish reggae artist (as opposed to the quasi-Jewish bullshit spewed by Rastafarians), outgrows the need for the cult. Good thing he got out before he got the wife with the $5,000 human hair wig and 8 children to support.

Next case, please. :iasw:

#22 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Not as exciting as important information about Rich eating things huh?:funny1:

IMHO, Rich eating things is way more exciting than some duded deciding to shave.

#23 B. Diddy

B. Diddy
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Watch what you call a cult there, glass housy-mcgee.

#24 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

Rich eating things is way more exciting, IMHO.

Llama taboot taboot.

#25 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

It sounds like to me religion helped him out of a hole he was in. It gave him a positive direction and hope in life. For that reason alone religion was a good thing for him regardless of the faith he wound up following. In general some people need a sense of community and togetherness to help them get through daily life. Religion can offer that to some people. On the other hand he obviously felt that his religious beliefs were now pulling him away from his true inner identity and in some ways controlling his path in life. Which is why he most likely choose this time out of any to fully become his inner self again.

But you don't have to take my word for it.

Posted Image

#26 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

seems to me that matt wrote the italicized print in the op himself.

You mean what's in the OP. Yeah.
I'm just saying that he doesn't seem depressed and alone. If anything, it more seems that when he WAS depressed and alone he turned to the Hasidic community... kinda like Joe just wrote. And now that he's not depressed and alone, he is free to go back to himself

#27 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

just to add, it should be noted when he was down he also turned to music... which also is part of the Jewish and Hasidic community

or that is what it seems like from here

#28 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

I'm just saying that he doesn't seem depressed and alone. If anything, it more seems that when he WAS depressed and alone he turned to the Hasidic community... kinda like Joe just wrote. And now that he's not depressed and alone, he is free to go back to himself

I think the real story is that he scored tickets for Phish on the 30th, and the only way he could roll on Shabbos was to drop the Hasidic thing.

#29 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

I think the real story is that he scored tickets for Phish on the 30th, and the only way he could roll on Shabbos was to drop the Hasidic thing.

like I said, he's not depressed and alone :coffee:

:funny1:

#30 Mind Left Body

Mind Left Body
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

Good for him I say. He is on his own spiritual path. Why criticize the guy?:dunno:

#31 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

So ...

Beatboxing Phish lot rat from White Plains almost wrecks his life, gets in with Chabad, becomes authentic Jewish reggae artist (as opposed to the quasi-Jewish bullshit spewed by Rastafarians), outgrows the need for the cult. Good thing he got out before he got the wife with the $5,000 human hair wig and 8 children to support.

Next case, please. :iasw:

unbelievable. you nailed it, twice. :headphones:

#32 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

12/07/11 at 10:52 AM:mrgreen:

Baloney. Give me my exact statement. :lol:

#33 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

IMHO, Rich eating things is way more exciting than some duded deciding to shave.

I love you! :ura1:

#34 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Gregoir lies. I looked back in my posts. I said no such thing on 12/7 at 10:52am.

I did however talk about Josh eating placenta. :lol:

#35 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

my support group for former orthodox jews is freaking out, thinking they are joining him. But I'm not too sure. OTOH I think if he DID want to stop being religious, it's going to be a weird road at this point, since he has built his career on his jewish hassidic identity.

#36 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,506 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Gregoir lies. I looked back in my posts. I said no such thing on 12/7 at 10:52am.

You believed him? :lol:

#37 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

No. I was just fact checking. :lol:

#38 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

my support group for former orthodox jews is freaking out, thinking they are joining him. But I'm not too sure. OTOH I think if he DID want to stop being religious, it's going to be a weird road at this point, since he has built his career on his jewish hassidic identity.

It's nothing about which out to freak. He'll find a nice modern Orthodox congregation somewhere and do his thing comfortably and privately.

Or he'll get a grill, bunch of tattoos, and start packing heat when he goes clubbing with his entourage.

#39 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

It's nothing about which out to freak. He'll find a nice modern Orthodox congregation somewhere and do his thing comfortably and privately.

Or he'll get a grill, bunch of tattoos, and start packing heat when he goes clubbing with his entourage.

well they are not "freaking out" in a bad way, more like "OMG matisyahu shaved his beard next he will be declaring he's an atheist!!!!!" which I think is a little premature...

#40 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

my comment wasn't meant to question, criticize or speculate about where he stands with respect to his religious beliefs or any psychiatric issues. i am merely amused that he seems to think he's a superstar. :gop:

#41 Heady

Heady
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

regardless the man put on a 5 star performance last summer in Taos.. I could personally care less how he alters his physical appearance. I also don't see why he owes anyone a public explanation.

#42 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

i am merely amused that he seems to think he's a superstar.

no doubt that is amusing indeed

#43 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,023 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

When you're very public and preachy about your religion, people tend to want to know what's up when you change direction.

Do you think Tebow could stop his evangelical preaching without an explanation? no

personally I could care less about Matisyahu or Tebow. Just play music/football and shut the hell up about your religion.

#44 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 73,777 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

well they are not "freaking out" in a bad way, more like "OMG matisyahu shaved his beard next he will be declaring he's an atheist!!!!!" which I think is a little premature...

Hilarious! Anyone who thinks religion is the hair on your face ... has an opinion I don't share. His music's not generally my cup of tea, but he was good at Mountain Jam, the other year. The posters on his site who don't understand that what's in your heart matters more than the hair on your face and are making assumptions about his personal life because he shaved are annoying enough to make him and anyone who reads their words not want anything to do with ultra-orthodoxy. Maybe his (apparent) nye gig in FL just isn't selling tickets, and this is part marketing. :cheesy: His booker picked the wrong Florida coast for him for nye. Tampa area nye is all about Donna the Buffalo. If I were going to be down there then, DtB would totally be my plan.

#45 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,108 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

Oh man, isn't he saving to the Beard television show and contest?

#46 Jam Fan

Jam Fan
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

he was just on SoundCheck (WNYC.org)

i know the show is replayed later in the night.
also be on their website

#47 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 22,108 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

Watch a Teaser for Whisker Wars, the Competitive Beard-Grooming Show:

http://bcove.me/51pmuyq3

#48 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 26,539 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Posted Image

#49 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,254 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

I did however talk about Josh eating placenta. :lol:

:pimp: