Photo

Parents: What do you spend on your kids for Christmas?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 melissa.phish

melissa.phish
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Last year I went a bit overboard as it was our first Christmas as a family.

My step-childrens other set of parents are much more well off than we are, and I try to avoid the urge to compete. And the kids already own tons of stuff and are not chomping at the bit for anything particular aside from a couple of video games.

But I also dont want the kids to be disappointed.

How much do you spend on your kids for Christmas? Is it the same every year, or does it depend on finances? Do you spend the same amount for all your kids or does it depend?

#2 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

totally depends on finances.... I don't even bother starting shopping till post annual review, as that is my gauge both in instant cash in pocket via bonus, and next years dollars...

I spend between 400 - 750 per kid, they are my primary expenditure at the xmas time... I try to ensure about 50% of that is "experience based" IE a trip to a show in NYC, or whatever.

my 12 year olds list:

julia nunes music
pair of earbuds
old school typewriter
any hats!
camera
Teen Ink Magazine (not tattoos, writing) :rolling:

#3 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

year 1 = nothing
year 2 = $10
year 3 = $50
today, year 4 = $150 :one: not a lot of things but one thing was expensive (the leapster explorer game was 50 and one game with it was 20) but she saw evan's (thanks a lot soulshiny:lol:) and wanted 1 without leapster and the game it wouldn't have been so bad about 80 - she asked for three things from santa, got all three:rose: she still wont let it rest that she didnt get the motorcyle last year that she asked for... im not talking a small one, or a motorized kid one... nope, she wanted the real deal.... :lol:

#4 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Used to depend on finances as well as wants.

#5 GoPlastic

GoPlastic
  • VibeTribe
  • 13,388 posts
  • LocationLI/NY

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

basically, he makes it clear what he's interested in, and i do my best to fulfill the important parts. no real price range (obviously he's not getting anything ridiculous), but rather i've found it's best to go the extra mile to get what he really wants, even if it's just one thing in particular, then supplement with other gifts which probably weren't first-choice. :lol:

#6 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,843 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

$500-$600

#7 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

depends on what our budget is every year. this year i spent a little under $400 on both girls, with more going to the oldest, who has specific requests to santa that cost a lot more than what a 2 year old wants/likes/needs. toddler stuff is so much cheaper than pre-tween stuff. :funny1: they're both going to be bursting at the seams come christmas morning.

my advice is to get their wishlists early and try to do most of your shopping on black friday. had i not done that, everything would have cost close to twice what i spent.

#8 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Looks like this year I'll be paying the mortgage. Thank goodness Santa is real :lol:

#9 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

i just spent 8.5 grand :lol:

#10 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

Looks like this year I'll be paying the mortgage. Thank goodness Santa is real :lol:

:rolling: santa says to keep your paws off lily's sit-n-spin, punk. :rolling:

#11 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

depends on what our budget is every year. this year i spent a little under $400 on both girls, with more going to the oldest, who has specific requests to santa that cost a lot more than what a 2 year old wants/likes/needs. toddler stuff is so much cheaper than pre-tween stuff. :funny1: they're both going to be bursting at the seams come christmas morning.

my advice is to get their wishlists early and try to do most of your shopping on black friday. had i not done that, everything would have cost close to twice what i spent.

wait till they're teens. you're so screwed :lol:

#12 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

i just spent 8.5 grand :lol:

well, not all at once, right? :funny1:

#13 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Prolly close to $1000 each. Way too much....

#14 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

daddy? :heart:

#15 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

daddy? :heart:

you want legos?

#16 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,788 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

:crazy:

yes please/

#17 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

tole

Prolly close to $1000 each. Way too much....

you stole my avatar :cry1:

#18 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

tole

you stole my avatar :cry1:

Oh.... I'll give it back. I couldn't remember if someone had it last year....

#19 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,639 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

no worries - slight teasing :smile:

#20 August West

August West
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,209 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

go into debt. it's the american way. and god bless the little baby jesus.

#21 Ravn

Ravn
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:59 AM

$250 per kid

that's it

I have a list for each, and I have an envelope with cash for each. When they're envelope is empty, they're done.

#22 shadeelady

shadeelady
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

depends on the finances....i don't start shopping until we get our christmas bonus at work....and all of that money is solely for xmas. miles has asked santa for 3 things and the most expensive thing is about 60 bucks. so he'll probably get everything that he asked for. noah is only 10 months old, so i could give him a paper bag and he'd be happy. :lol:

this year, we're getting a flat panel tv so we can finally use the Wii that we got last year (out tv is so old, there aren't enough ports to hook it up!). thanks, santa!! :lol:

#23 insolent cur

insolent cur

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

the dogs are atheists. as such, they have respectfully requested that i use any funds originally set aside to buy them "seasonal" gifts, for their food. i will acquiesce to their wishes. :gop:

#24 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

We have seasonal vendors come in here for our fundraisers. Today there is a vendor for gifts for pets. I hope poster isn't too upset that I'm not buying her anything :lol:

#25 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

your vendors suck so hard. :rolling: fuckin' hippie books. :rolling:

#26 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

:rolling: fuckin' hippie books. :rolling:

Watch it or you're going in the yellow river :rolling:

#27 Slave Self Promoted

Slave Self Promoted
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

the stench of drowned mouthy princesses is awful at the yellow river. :undecided:

#28 Phishfolk

Phishfolk
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

She wasn't mouthy. She was a loving, dedicated, supporting wife but he wanted an upgrade so in the river she went. The nice part of the story was when the governor adopted her so she was finally worthy of him :rotf::rotf::rotf:

#29 Dr. Lostreality

Dr. Lostreality
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

the dogs are atheists. as such, they have respectfully requested that i use any funds originally set aside to buy them "seasonal" gifts, for their food. i will acquiesce to their wishes. :gop:

My mother in law always buy christmas presents for our two dogs and my sister in law's dog. They usually get fancy toys and handmade dog biscuits. They usually destroy the toys before we leave my in-laws house 2 days after christmas. :grin:

i think my MIL really wants grandchildren. :) She calls our dogs her "granddogs"