Ironing board question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:32 PM

I would love to have an ironing board as big as my old kitchen table. Besides a little layer of batting and a fabric showercap cover, is there anything else I'm missing? Is it really that simple?
Posted via Mobile Device Powered By Terrapin

#2 sarah b.

sarah b.
  • VibeTribe
  • 74,094 posts
  • LocationRockland and Long Island, NY

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

I lay a towel on it. towels absorb wrinkles.

#3 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:56 PM

my mom does that when she irons on her bed. :)

#4 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

some insulbright (heat resistent batting) to put under the cotton batting seems like ti might be a good idea. How cool. Are you going to post pictures when you're done?

#5 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Judy Martin's Ironing Table::

- now this woman has the most immaculate sewing room imaginable.
there must be something wrong with her.
but oh boy- her stash makes me drool.

Posted Image

VISIT MY SEWING ROOM
I can't afford to have thousands of you tracking mud into my sewing room. That's why I've put up some photos of my sewing room and offered some written commentary. That way you can see it, and I don't have to pick up after you! If you're curious, stop by for a look.

http://www.judymarti...g-Room-Judy.cfm

HOW TO MAKE AN IRONING TABLE
If you just went on the tour of my sewing room, let me welcome you back. While you were there, you may have noticed the ironing table. Several people have asked about how I made it. Below are the details. Improvise according to your space, your needs, and the availability of materials where you live.

Buy Metro shelving components as follows: four 33" legs and three 18" x 48" shelves. (These are available at many storage stores and catalogues.) Assemble with one shelf close to the floor, one at the top level, and one in the middle. This makes a very sturdy table. Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood (It doesn't need to be clear; knots are okay.) to measure 30" by 72". (30" was about as far as I could reach, and I didn't want to lose stability by exceeding the shelf dimensions by too much.) Cut three or four layers of 100% cotton batting (I used Hobbs batting without scrim.) about 6-8" longer and wider than the plywood. Cut a piece of smooth, sturdy cotton fabric 6-8" longer and wider than the plywood. Center the batting, then the fabric, over the plywood. Pull it taut and use a staple gun to tack the batting and fabric to the bottom side of the plywood. Lay the covered plywood, centered, on top of the shelf unit. Its weight will hold it in place. Outfit the shelves with Rubbermaid keepers boxes. I hung wire grids from the sides of the shelf unit and hung rulers from wire shower curtain rings.

This is actually my third ironing table. The first one I framed from CVC pipes. I didn't glue them, and the whole thing collapsed after a while. Then I placed the same plywood top over two bookcases. This was stable and worked well. However, I discovered that this table, at 37" high, was too tall for me, and it made my arms tired. The 33" shelves plus the plywood top make a perfect height for me. (I am 5" 6".)

For a cheaper, less stable unit, you can put the plywood unit over your ironing board. In this case, you will need to screw on 2" x 2" boards to hug the ironing board in order to keep the plywood from tipping. I haven't tried this, and I don't know if you can make the top as wide using an ironing board.

#6 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

i'm sure when i'm old enough to kick Aidan out of the house, i'll have an immaculate craft room too :lol:

i'm going to make one as soon as i move to my new destination. :)

#7 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:50 AM

an immaculate craft room is a sign of a disturbed mind, IMO.

without the mess- how do you have a-ha moments?

half the clothes i've made- the fabrics get matched by the accidental scraps falling on the floor next to each other.
:lol:
my poor sewing room :( i cant even get into i these days - past toys and house shit has taken it over.

and Judy Martin- where is your shop vac? huh???
(shop vacs rock for sewing rooms)

someday i will have al the time in the world to sit and make quilts and dye neatly all day long. *sigh*

#8 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

That sewing room is too vanilla for me! You need some random clutter to inspire thought.. a corkboard with pictures, postcards, etc to feed your creative soul. Her room is pristine and very nice, but I wouldn't be able to create in that sterile of an environment!

Then again, I don't even have an environment right now.. I have a nice big floor (aka living room) in which I place my sewing machine on and put the presser foot under my thigh.. surprisingly, it works like a dream, you are almost part of the machine that way, good connection--

#9 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

i used to do that too! i used to iron on the floor until i burned my knee :lol:

#10 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

I completley agree! We recently moved into a much smaller home, so my sewing room now doubles as the gueest bedroom. The only time I clean it is when we have guests. Plus, stepping on a pin really wakes you up when you're in a sewing trance :D.

an immaculate craft room is a sign of a disturbed mind, IMO.

without the mess- how do you have a-ha moments?

half the clothes i've made- the fabrics get matched by the accidental scraps falling on the floor next to each other.
my poor sewing room :( i cant even get into i these days - past toys and house shit has taken it over.

and Judy Martin- where is your shop vac? huh???
(shop vacs rock for sewing rooms)

someday i will have al the time in the world to sit and make quilts and dye neatly all day long. *sigh*