• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

Pew Study Shows

NEW YORK -- Ron Paul's never garnered as much media attention as other Republican presidential candidates, even after placing second in the Ames Straw Poll and remaining at the top of the pack in Iowa. And when Paul's name does come up on cable news chats, it's often in the context of being unelectable or a fringe candidate.

For Paul, who's long enjoyed a strong following online, the social media conversation has been much kinder than the national media's coverage. Pew's Project for Excellence for Journalism, in a new study analyzing more than 20 million election-related tweets from May through November, found that Paul "fared far better" than any other Republican candidate. Paul was referred to positively in 55 percent of the 1.1 million assessments about him on Twitter studied during this period. Only 15 percent of those assessments were negative, and 30 percent were neutral.

"This treatment of Paul stands in contrast to that of most of the GOP field, for whom Twitter has been a tough neighborhood," the study found. "Five of Paul's seven GOP rivals have had negative opinions on Twitter outstrip positive ones by roughly 2-1 or more."

The "Twitter and the Campaign" study combined PEJ staffers' traditional news analysis -- which factors into each weekly Pew study -- along with Crimson Hexagon's computer algorithmic technology. Clearly, a handful of researchers couldn't comb through the Twitter's public "Firehose" data feed, which includes roughly 140 million tweets daily. So researchers examined a sample of tweets before coding, with the computer picking up on word patterns in tweets to determine if the candidate assessment was positive, negative or neutral.

Although Paul received the most positive response, he wasn't the most talked about overall on the social media platform. Former Republican candidate Herman Cain -- who the study found received the most U.S. media attention of any Republican candidate over the past seven weeks -- came in first with 2.2 million assessments, albeit more negative than Paul's.

Still, Republican candidates didn't get nearly as many assessments as the man they hope to replace. But Obama also faced a lot of criticism from Twitter users. Of Obama's 15 million assessments, the study found that the negative outweighed the positive 3-1. And yet, the study also noted that "Obama's most sharply negative assessment has come from the news media, not social media," echoing a previous study from October.

PEJ's full report, including analysis of how Twitter assessments of candidates differed from the blogosphere and news media, can be found here.

#2 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

It's either irrelevant, the study was "gamed" or both.

#3 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

at least you know the score

Ron Paul is what you would call a "non-issue"

#4 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,510 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

Peacefrog

we get that you don't like Ron Paul. Spare us the trolling of TASB every chance you get for his support of Paul.

#5 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,937 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

id rather see ru paul running than any of these other empty right wing suits

#6 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:43 AM

It's not even that I don't like Ron Paul... he doesn't bother me.

it's just kind of silly to act like he has a chance of winning.

if you're voting for Ron Paul, then good for you. It's a statement.

If you think he has a shot at winning, then wow... just wow.

#7 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,510 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:17 AM

It's not even that I don't like Ron Paul... he doesn't bother me.

it's just kind of silly to act like he has a chance of winning.

if you're voting for Ron Paul, then good for you. It's a statement.

If you think he has a shot at winning, then wow... just wow.

you are entirely missing the point of this thread. The point of the thread was summed up rather well by John Stewart several months ago. I'll link the clip, but you also need to consider a few things about that clip.

Top tier then: Romney, Perry, Bachman. No talk of Herman Cain, no talk of Newt Gingrich.

Shortly after that clip, Herman Cain made a run into the "top tier" and we know what happened there.

Perry and Bachman are now completely off the radar.

Newt is now challenging Romney.

Things 180 extremely fast in the build up to the primary season. Do I think Ron will get the nomination? No. But, the reason isn't fully because of voter preferences. The corporate bought biased media plays a huge role in who gets billed.

#8 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

I know, that's why I said Ron Paul is a "non-issue"

he's the 13th floor of a building.

he brings up good points, but most Republicans want to have no part of him.

not my fault.

#9 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

Considering Ron has set the entire pace for GOP candidate talking points, has held a steady 3rd in the overall polling, while the other fringe candidates are up and down like yo-yos, your assessment that Paul is a non-issue or the 13th floor of a building is completely off-base. Claiming "most republicans dont want anything to do with him", is wrong.

What you miss, is that he is deliberately left out of the media. Not because he isnt scoring with voters, because the establishment fears his chances of winning. So they hide him from MSM news as much as possible, give him little or no talk time in debates and if he wins a poll, it is irrelevant or as CNN liked to put it "he's gaming the polls".

Ultimately, you're wrong, peacefrog. He has just as much, if not more chance than the other candidates in the GOP race. Because his support is unflinching and he wont be dropping out do to extra marital problems, flip-flopping on issues or any of the other shameful scores the other contenders have.

It isn't over until it's over. But keep barking that MSM garbage they pumped into your ear. We're a patient group, Paul's camp.

#10 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,510 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

In some ways, I think Romney is a "non-issue."

I really don't think the leadership of the party believes that Romney can beat Obama due to him being a Mormon. That's why your seeing other candidates get fluffed like they have been, 1st Perry, then Cain, now Newt.

#11 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

In some ways, I think Romney is a "non-issue."

I really don't think the leadership of the party believes that Romney can beat Obama due to him being a Mormon. That's why your seeing other candidates get fluffed like they have been, 1st Perry, then Cain, now Newt.

I would agree with that. Although not because of his mormon background ( it may play its part). But because he really isn't all the republican. He's pretty center at best, and the popular republican opinion, I believe, is shifting more conserative than center.

He's also a flip-flopper. And while a good majority of people forget one day to the next (just look at how Newt is getting the fluff, regardless of his awful track record), he's not in a position to negate those facts. (neither will Newt. And he will burn just like Cain, Perry and Bachman)

It's still a toss up. It's early in the game, with crunch time just around the corner. One thing is for sure; I think the establishment is out of people to put into this race. We're seeing the contenders now and that gives me the idea that, even with the media doing their best to keep him out, Paul has a legit shot at being the front runner. They probably wont give him the republican nod. Simply because dems/repubs same team and it IS a rigged game. But taking it as far as Ron has with only grasroot support, much like his historical individual donation record in 08, is a stunning display of how far the message can travel without big corp media and banking funding the process.

#12 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

well, good luck. It can only transform the Republican party for the better.

#13 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,031 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Paul wins the GOP Twitter Primary

How many delegates does he get for that? :mrgreen:

#14 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:38 PM