it's so time consuming!!

#2 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

gah. i feel your pain.
trying to teach Azalea how do it didn't work, either- ;)

kate- next time you go to jo-ann or wherever you shop- go to the quilting section and look for a bias tape maker. its a little piece of metal where you feed a strip of fabric through and it sorta bends the sides in when you pull it out the other end- iron it down when it comes out- then fold it in half and stitch it down. helps a bit.
get a real wide one- they rock :)

good luck!

#3 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

i don't know why i didn't think about this! i have a foot for my sewing machine that rolls the edges (i got it back when i used to make my own napkins).

thanks girl! i have fabric for 1 more pair of wrap pants and back to the fabric store i go!

i think i'll splurge and get one of those turn-it-right-side-out thingies too :lol:

((((((((((special sewing tools that cost like $2 but improve your life tremendously!))))))

#4 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

this looks like a simple way to make your own bias tape maker!

http://creativelittl...version-of.html

#5 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:47 AM

i don't know why i didn't think about this! i have a foot for my sewing machine that rolls the edges (i got it back when i used to make my own napkins).

thanks girl! i have fabric for 1 more pair of wrap pants and back to the fabric store i go!

i think i'll splurge and get one of those turn-it-right-side-out thingies too :lol:

((((((((((special sewing tools that cost like $2 but improve your life tremendously!))))))

i was gonna mention the turn-it-right-side-out thingies too :lol:

a bodkin i think its called....

i'll say for thick straps- a drum stick works awesome. thanks anju!

that ladys bias tape mthod looks ok- but the maker is good once you get the hang of it ;)
spray starch ;)

#6 irie

irie
  • VibeTribe
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:53 AM

oooh! a drumstick! Aidan has 2 of those! :lol:

i'm definitely going to get one! i'm excited! (maybe i'll go tomorrow :lol: )

#7 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

A dull butterknife, wooden spoon, knitting needle.. :lol:

I HATE stitching the ditch.. it has been my nemisis since I learned to sew. Especially in college, my mentor was really good at picking out uneven stitches.. grr..