Car purchase suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Any thoughts on any of the popular car makers out there? I am going to buy a used car for my daughter for Christmas (about 5k range).

I am leaning toward Toyota. My mom is recommending something like a Nissan Sentra

What car brands would you say to stay away from? What car brads and models would you recommend?

Anyone done any really research on cars? Findings?

Also, I have had pretty good luck with car dealers. Would you go through private party or a dealer for a certified pre-owned vehicle?

Also, I know there is the kelly blue book but isn't there another one, NADA or black book? Which should I pay attention to?

#2 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

I love my toyota.:pimp:

#3 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

certified pre-owned FTW.

fer-ser....nissan, mazdas, and hyundai's are great cars. toyota was knocked off my list after all those recalls not too long ago.
as far as price, suspension, reliability, and handling are concerned i would go for the hyundai elantra all day long :jamguy: 34 miles to the gallon.

#4 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

blue book is actual car worth, red book is dealer price

#5 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

black book?

really????

#6 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I don't even know what black book is, I just saw those 3 mentioned on-line.

I am finding some decent deals on craigslist. Going to keep hunting.

i'm finding that dealer prices are a few thousand over private sellers. The thought of haggling and dealing with their b.s. is more than I feel like dealing with. If my bro will go with me, I will venture to dealer but otherwise...

#7 gregoir

gregoir
  • VibeTribe
  • 25,829 posts
  • LocationAbove The Waves

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

I would go with Honda or Toyota if you are buying anything with over 100K miles on it, which will most likely be the case for your price point. Also make sure it has a new timing belt at that mileage or you will be dropping another 2K on that fairly soon.

#8 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,549 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

never buy a used car with over 100k on it

#9 cassady

cassady

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 18,244 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

well, the warranty justifies the extra $ for the most part

#10 Jambear

Jambear
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

I don't even know what black book is.

I bet your in at least a couple.:devil: :naughty:

#11 Jersey Thug

Jersey Thug
  • VibeTribe
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

Jason and i both love our Hondas, purchased with 33,000 miles (my '98 Accord) and 55,000 (his '03 Civic). i had my timing belt and other routine maintenance done on the Accord last fall at nearly 150,000 miles and my mechanic is confident that i'll get several more years of good use, easy, if that's what i decide to do.

i'd choose Honda again in an instant! good luck CC.

#12 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

I had a Nissan Sentra and it was a great little car. Very few issues beyond regular maintenance and when it finally went, it had 160K+ miles on it.

My parents have owned several Toyotas, all good cars. A Corolla would probably be a good fit for you daughter.

If you want to stay with American made, I'd look at Fords. They've really gotten their shit together and are putting out some solid cars.

Happy hunting! :)

#13 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Nobody ever listens to me on the economics of this but I'll say it anyway. If you're buying a slightly used vehicle, you're much better off buying American because they depreciate massively faster in their 1st 4 years than any Japanese brand.

Take, say a Ford Focus versus a Corolla of the same year, the ford is 1/2 its original MSRP after 2 years, while the toyota still sells for 70%.

#14 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

I have an 07 Hyundai Sonata with 158K miles on it that I've had only two minor repair issues (both under warranty). Other than that, just routine maintenance. Car still drives great, gets decent mileage and I hope to keep it to 300K miles. No timing belt. It has a chain instead, which does not need to be replaced.

You can find some 06-07s in the 7-8K range (I wouldn't look at the older model years), but 5K is tough.

In general, 5K is a tough price point right now. It's a sellers market. Used cars that were going for 5K five years ago are going for 7-8K today.

#15 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Nobody ever listens to me on the economics of this but I'll say it anyway. If you're buying a slightly used vehicle, you're much better off buying American because they depreciate massively faster in their 1st 4 years than any Japanese brand.

Take, say a Ford Focus versus a Corolla of the same year, the ford is 1/2 its original MSRP after 2 years, while the toyota still sells for 70%.

They're also cheaper to fix when something goes wrong. (in general)

A timing belt on an American car shouldn't cost anywhere near 2K... more like 200. If you do it yourself, like $40.

I've only owned American cars all my life and I've never spent thousands of dollars on a repair.

Some people argue that they break more often. That could be true.

#16 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Toyota and Nissan would be my vehicle of choice.

#17 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I love my hyudai, but I have only had it for a couple years and it was pretty much new.

I have to say that Honda or Toyota is a great place to start. Yet, I agree with what Julius said. Makes sense and may be a great place to start also. Buying used.

#18 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Honda!!

#19 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

what do you think about this?

only 57k miles - very unusual for a car this old. is there a way to get a carfax for free, or do you always have to pay for those things

http://www.autotrade...captcha=success

blue book value is 6,900 (so his asking price is dead on). do you think I could get him to 6k? if i throw in her shitty 2000 mazda

#20 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

they don't throw in floor mats anymore

other than that the car looks really good, and I've heard that Camries are pretty low maintenance and good on gas.

just take it for a drive and listen to how it sounds. make sure there are no clunks or pings... or anything unusual.

the ad says brand new tires, so that's a plus.

at 60,000 miles, you're probably going to need some routine things done like change the transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, possibly new brake pads, coolant flush, check the air filter... probably some other things that I forget

actually, you ought to check into that because I'm talking from experience with American cars. I'd assume the maintenance schedule would be the same as a japanese car... it's still moving parts.

In fact, that would make a lot of sense that someone would trade their car in right at 57,000 just to avoid the next maintenance visit at 60k

#21 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:35 AM

the major maintenance visits are usually every 30,000 miles, and oil changes are every 3,000. (unless you use synthetic oil, then it's like every 5,000)

#22 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:48 AM

only 57k miles - very unusual for a car this old. is there a way to get a carfax for free, or do you always have to pay for those things

blue book value is 6,900 (so his asking price is dead on). do you think I could get him to 6k? if i throw in her shitty 2000 mazda

yes I think you could get him to 6K
That looks like a really good deal, provided a mechanic checks it out for any potential issues

#23 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

definitely have a mechanic check it out. it's totally worth the money.

also, test drive it on the highway with the a/c going full blast.

#24 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 10,094 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

definitely have a mechanic check it out. it's totally worth the money.

also, test drive it on the highway with the a/c going full blast.

Good advice :thup:

#25 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

I've been looking on-line all day. the Camry I posted is the best deal I've found. I, myself, have a 99 Camry with 150k miles -thing has given me very few problems.

I'm hoping the car is still available so I can check it out tomorrow.

Vin, I'll take your advice :) what questions I should ask? Will they give me a free carfax?

#26 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

tell them you're interested in buying a car and you want them to check it out. most mechanics have some kind of flat rate for that.

I don't know about the carfax. the last car I bought before I got my Honda Fit was 15 years ago.:funny1:

#27 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

okay, help

this one is right down the street from me. been for sale for 42 days. how much lower can I get him guys? what would you offer?

http://www.iseecars....KEFIELD_RI.html

#28 Julius

Julius
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,382 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

Sure, go ahead and ignore me. I'm gonna go make fun of you on fb where you can't defend yourself anymore. :devil:

#29 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:35 AM

:lol:

sorry, I am hostile to thought of purchasing american made cars. maybe unfair, owned 3 and never had a good experience with them. my brother buys american and always has issues as well.

#30 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

Sure, go ahead and ignore me. I'm gonna go make fun of you on fb where you can't defend yourself anymore. :devil:

Julius

Your point is very valid with newer used cars, but when we're talking about a 12 year old car, those values level out based upon how many of those particular vehicles are still on the road and performing well vs. perception of how long a slightly used car will last based upon long term manufacturer reliability reputation.

American car manufacturers are pretty much right even again with Asian, but they weren't 12 years ago. That's both the reason why a 12 year old Camry is a better buy at 6K than a 12 year old Taurus and why American cars still depreciate faster out of the gate.

#31 Shake Yer Bones

Shake Yer Bones
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

Any thoughts on any of the popular car makers out there? I am going to buy a used car for my daughter for Christmas (about 5k range).

I am leaning toward Toyota. My mom is recommending something like a Nissan Sentra

What car brands would you say to stay away from? What car brads and models would you recommend?

Anyone done any really research on cars? Findings?

Also, I have had pretty good luck with car dealers. Would you go through private party or a dealer for a certified pre-owned vehicle?

Also, I know there is the kelly blue book but isn't there another one, NADA or black book? Which should I pay attention to?

Jeep. That basically answers all your questions as to which sort of automobile to buy.

#32 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

Audi R8
She'll pick up a millionaire
Profit

#33 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

Jeep. That basically answers all your questions as to which sort of automobile to buy.

If I had the job of my dreams within 10 miles of home (which is pretty much my life goal) I'd be driving a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Jeep makes a the best 4x4s in America for certain. So, I understand your love of the brand.

.....but a car for college aged girl? Yeah, think chinacat is on the right track in looking at a Camry. :wink1:

#34 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:42 AM

:lol:

sorry, I am hostile to thought of purchasing american made cars. maybe unfair, owned 3 and never had a good experience with them. my brother buys american and always has issues as well.

Me neither. Every single freakin Ford I have owned or friends have owned have needed many transmissions and much work by the time they reach 90K. POS's IMO.
I like the little Asian cars. Yup. Germans make a good car too.

#35 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

WHAT ABOUT THIS JEEP http://providence.cr...2734616473.html

#36 deadheadskier

deadheadskier
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

well, driving a Jeep will probably get your daughter laid more than driving a Camry, if that's what you're going for. :lol:

#37 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,876 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

I'm looking to pick up another older Jeep Cherokee myself for my kid to use - Straight Six all the way :jamguy:

*I will NEVER buy a grand cherokee. :vomit:

#38 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

We just bought a 2008 Toyota Highlander, primarily as my wife's car as her 13 year old Nissan Maxima pooped out.
I'm still driving my 12 year old 4Runner and plan to until either I can't or I can afford a new one. Before that I drove a Celica for 12 years. Before that, the first car I owned was a Corolla.

So as you can see I have an aliance to Toyota. I prefer to buy them new and drive them forever, but this time around with the Highlander we bought certified used from a dealer. Its only 3 years old and a new one would have cost another 10-15k easy.

#39 Wende

Wende
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,148 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

Once a Toyota, always a Toyota....

My next will be a Toyota. Depending on what this little cheapy Hyundai does for me at 100K. So far so good. But we'll have to wait and see.

#40 bitrush

bitrush
  • VibeTribe
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

certified pre-owned FTW.

Wont find that for 5k.

#41 Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station
  • VibeTribe
  • 6,730 posts
  • LocationDirectly south of Seaside Park..across the sound

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

For 5k, I would go Either Honda Accord or Nissan Altima.

#42 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

okay, going to look at the toyota today. want to get the price down to 6k total (including sales tax, feees, etc. hoping the crappy 2000 mazda trade in can do that)

also, love these cars: thoughts? http://www.kingstona...e.aspx?id=11329

#43 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

hondas: I've test driven them. a bit noiser and less smooth ride in comparison to toyota.

anyone have an older Maxima?

#44 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

hondas: I've test driven them. a bit noiser and less smooth ride in comparison to toyota.

anyone have an older Maxima?

Our 13 year old Maxima just died.

It was a hand me down from my Mom when she got my Dad's, cause he got a new one. The axil somehow cracked, and the car always rattled and shook. Then one day while my wife was driving, all the dashboard lights went on and it died. Ceased working.

In my opinion, and I've driven most of them, the Nissan's and Honda's just don't feel as solidly built as Toyota's. Especially the SUV sized vehicles.

I don't have any facts to back it, just how it feels to me. But I have heard others say the same thing.

#45 Gypsy Bob

Gypsy Bob
  • VibeTribe
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Our 13 year old Maxima just died.

It was a hand me down from my Mom when she got my Dad's, cause he got a new one. The axil somehow cracked, and the car always rattled and shook. Then one day while my wife was driving, all the dashboard lights went on and it died. Ceased working.

In my opinion, and I've driven most of them, the Nissan's and Honda's just don't feel as solidly built as Toyota's. Especially the SUV sized vehicles.

I don't have any facts to back it, just how it feels to me. But I have heard others say the same thing.

I've got a 1998 Maxima with 231K > oil change every 3K ... gave it to Karen ... she Loves it!

#46 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

I've got a 1998 Maxima with 231K > oil change every 3K ... gave it to Karen ... she Loves it!

You got the good one :wink:

#47 Gypsy Bob

Gypsy Bob
  • VibeTribe
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

You got the good one :wink:

You mean Karen or the Maxima? :lol:

#48 elder

elder
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

You mean Karen or the Maxima? :lol:

Exactly :rose:

#49 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

<table id="summaryOwnershipHistoryTable" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="summaryOdd"><td class="eventCol">OKAY, SO THE TOYOTA WAS ORIGINALLY A RENTAL AND DOES HAVE AN ACCIDENT ON THE CARFAX, HMMM....

Year purchased</td><td id="yearPurchased1" colspan="1" class="statCol">1998 </td><td id="yearPurchased2" colspan="1" class="statCol">1999 </td> </tr><tr class="summaryEven"> <td class="eventCol">Type of owner</td> <td id="ownerType1" colspan="1" class="statCol"> Rental </td> <td id="ownerType2" colspan="1" class="statCol"> Personal </td> </tr><tr class="summaryOdd"> <td class="eventCol">Estimated length of ownership</td><td id="lengthOwnership1" colspan="1" class="statCol">1 year </td><td id="lengthOwnership2" colspan="1" class="statCol">11 yrs. 9 mo. </td> </tr><tr class="summaryEven"> <td class="eventCol">Owned in the following states/provinces</td><td id="stateOwned1" colspan="1" class="statCol">Florida </td><td id="stateOwned2" colspan="1" class="statCol">Massachusetts </td> </tr><tr class="summaryOdd"> <td class="eventCol">Estimated miles driven per year</td><td id="averageMiles1" colspan="1" class="statCol">--- </td><td id="averageMiles2" colspan="1" class="statCol">3,826/yr </td> </tr><tr class="summaryEven"> <td class="eventCol">Last reported odometer reading</td><td id="lastYodo1" colspan="1" class="statCol">6 </td><td id="lastYodo2" colspan="1" class="statCol">57,526 </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table id="dmvTitleProblemsTable" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="secHdrRow"><th height="30" width="2000"> Posted Image Title History

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section </th><th class="statCol" id="ownTab1"> Posted Image Owner 1 </th> <th class="statCol" id="ownTab2"> Posted Image Owner 2 </th> </tr> <tr><td class="nopad">Posted Image</td><td class="nopad">Posted Image</td><td class="nopad">Posted Image</td></tr><tr class="summaryOdd"><td class="eventCol" id="dvmTitleProblemsSalvageJunkRebuilt" height="30"> Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt | Fire | Flood | Hail | Lemon </td><td id="SJR1" class="statCol"> Guaranteed
No Problem </td><td id="SJR2" class="statCol"> Guaranteed
No Problem </td></tr><tr class="summaryEven"><td class="eventCol" height="30"> Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits </td><td id="namEml1" class="statCol"> Guaranteed
No Problem </td><td id="namEml2" class="statCol"> Guaranteed
No Problem </td></tr><tr><td colspan="3" class="eventCol"> <table width="95%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="pad5"> Posted Image </td><td id="bbgPara"> GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. Register | View Terms </td></tr></tbody></table> </td></tr></tbody></table>
<table id="otherInformationTable" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="secHdrRow"><th height="30" width="2000"> Posted Image Additional History

Not all accidents / issues are reported to CARFAX </th><th class="statCol" id="ownTab1"> Posted Image Owner 1 </th> <th class="statCol" id="ownTab2"> Posted Image Owner 2 </th> </tr> <tr><td class="nopad">Posted Image</td><td class="nopad">Posted Image</td><td class="nopad">Posted Image</td></tr><tr class="summaryOdd"><td class="eventCol"> Total Loss No total loss reported to CARFAX.
</td><td id="columnTotalLossResultTxt1" class="statCol"> Posted Image No Issues Reported

</td><td id="columnTotalLossResultTxt2" class="statCol"> Posted Image No Issues Reported

</td></tr><tr class="summaryEven"><td class="eventCol"> Structural Damage No structural damage reported to CARFAX.
</td><td id="columnFrameDamageResultTxt1" class="statCol"> Posted Image No Issues Reported

</td><td id="columnFrameDamageResultTxt2" class="statCol"> Posted Image No Issues Reported

</td></tr><tr class="summaryOdd"><td class="eventCol"> Airbag Deployment No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.
</td><td id="columnAirbagResultTxt1" class="statCol"> Posted Image No Issues Reported

</td><td id="columnAirbagResultTxt2" class="statCol"> Posted Image No Issues Reported

</td></tr><tr class="summaryEven"><td class="eventCol"> Odometer Check No indication of an odometer rollback.
</td><td id="columnOdometerResultTxt1" class="statCol"> Posted Image No Issues Indicated

</td><td id="columnOdometerResultTxt2" class="statCol"> http://www.carfax.co..._greenCheck.gif No Issues Indicated

</td></tr><tr class="summaryOdd"><td class="eventCol"> Accident / Damage Accident reported on 04/24/2005.
</td><td id="columnAccidentCheckResultTxt1" class="statCol"> http://www.carfax.co..._greenCheck.gif No Issues Reported

</td><td id="columnAccidentCheckResultTxt2" class="statCol"> http://www.carfax.co...ico_trimark.gif Accident Reported

</td></tr><tr class="summaryEven"><td class="eventCol"> Manufacturer Recall Check with an authorized Toyota dealer for any open recalls.
</td><td id="columnRecallResultTxt1" class="statCol"> Ask Your
Dealer
</td><td id="columnRecallResultTxt2" class="statCol"> Ask Your
Dealer
</td></tr><tr class="summaryOdd"><td class="eventCol"> Basic Warranty Original warranty estimated to have expired.
</td> <td id="warrantyCheckCell1" class="statCol"> Warranty
Expired

</td> <td id="warrantyCheckCell2" class="statCol"> Warranty
Expired

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Tell us what you know about this vehicle
<table id="recordDetailSection" width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="secHdrRow"> <th height="30"> Glossary
http://www.carfax.co...cfx_logo25h.gif Detailed History

</th> </tr><tr> <td class="pad5"> <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="nopad" width="160"> http://www.carfax.co...x/img/clear.gif </td> <td class="nopad" width="496"> http://www.carfax.co...x/img/clear.gif </td> </tr><tr><td height="100%" valign="top" align="center"> <table id="tabTable1" class="ownerTabPrint" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="noPrint"><td colspan="2" align="left">http://www.carfax.co...td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="rolocolumn"> http://www.carfax.co...g/ownertick.png Owner 1 </td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn" width="$first_owner_hist_tab_col_width">Purchased:</td><td class="rolocolumn" width="$second_owner_hist_tab_col_width">1998</td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn">Type:</td><td class="rolocolumn">Rental</td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn">Where:</td><td class="rolocolumn">Florida</td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn">Est. length owned:</td><td id="OwnershipLength1" class="rolocolumn"> 11/15/98 - 12/13/99
(1 year) </td></tr><tr class="noPrint" valign="bottom"><td colspan="2" align="left">http://www.carfax.co...if</td></tr><tr class="noPrint" valign="top"><td colspan="2" class="buttress">http://www.carfax.co...s.gif</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td><td colspan="1" valign="top" width="100%"> <table id="recordTable1" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="oddrow" id="detailsHeaderRow1"><th id="dateHeader1" width="13%">Date:</th><th id="mileageHeader1" class="mileage" width="13%">Mileage:</th><th id="sourceHeader1" width="24%">Source:</th><th id="commentsHeader1" width="50%">Comments:</th></tr> <tr id="record1" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> Not Reported </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> NICB </td><td valign="top"> Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer </td> </tr> <tr id="record2" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 11/15/1998 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fort Lauderdale, FL </td><td valign="top"> Registered as rental
vehicle </td> </tr> <tr id="record3" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 11/23/1998 </td><td class="mileage"> 6 </td><td valign="top"> Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fort Lauderdale, FL </td><td valign="top"> Odometer reading reported </td> </tr> <tr id="record4" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 12/14/1998 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Title #76735602 </td><td valign="top"> Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported </td> </tr></tbody></table>
</td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="2">
</td> </tr> <tr><td height="100%" valign="top" align="center"> <table id="tabTable2" class="ownerTabPrint" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="noPrint"><td colspan="2" align="left">http://www.carfax.co...td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" class="rolocolumn"> http://www.carfax.co...g/ownertick.png Owner 2 </td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn" width="$first_owner_hist_tab_col_width">Purchased:</td><td class="rolocolumn" width="$second_owner_hist_tab_col_width">1999</td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn">Type:</td><td class="rolocolumn">Personal</td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn">Where:</td><td class="rolocolumn">Massachusetts</td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn">Est. miles/year:</td><td class="rolocolumn">3,826/yr</td></tr><tr><td class="rolocolumn">Est. length owned:</td><td id="OwnershipLength2" class="rolocolumn"> 12/13/99 - 10/10/11
(11 yrs. 9 mo.) </td></tr><tr class="noPrint" valign="bottom"><td colspan="2" align="left">http://www.carfax.co...t.gif</td></tr> </tbody></table> http://www.carfax.co...ertTab_topR.gif Low mileage! This owner drove less than the industry average of 15,000 miles per year.

http://www.carfax.co...foxDtl_3207.gif </td><td colspan="1" valign="top" width="100%"> <table id="recordTable2" width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="oddrow" id="detailsHeaderRow2"><th id="dateHeader2" width="13%">Date:</th><th id="mileageHeader2" class="mileage" width="13%">Mileage:</th><th id="sourceHeader2" width="24%">Source:</th><th id="commentsHeader2" width="50%">Comments:</th></tr> <tr id="record5" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 12/13/1999 </td><td class="mileage"> 12,250 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Jamaica Plain, MA </td><td valign="top"> Vehicle purchase reported </td> </tr> <tr id="record6" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 02/29/2000 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Brookline, MA
Title #AU054177 </td><td valign="top"> Title or registration issued
New owner reported </td> </tr> <tr id="record7" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 10/01/2000 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Jamaica Plain, MA </td><td valign="top"> Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location </td> </tr> <tr id="record8" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 12/14/2001 </td><td class="mileage"> 19,236 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Norwood, MA </td><td valign="top"> Passed safety or emissions inspection View what was inspected
</td> </tr> <tr id="record9" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 12/30/2002 </td><td class="mileage"> 24,510 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Brighton, MA </td><td valign="top"> Passed safety or emissions inspection View what was inspected
</td> </tr> <tr id="record10" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 02/17/2004 </td><td class="mileage"> 28,352 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Allston, MA </td><td valign="top"> Passed safety or emissions inspection View what was inspected
</td> </tr> <tr id="record11" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 04/24/2005 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Damage Report </td><td valign="top"> Accident reported
Vehicle involved in crash
with another vehicle </td> </tr> <tr id="record12" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 05/20/2005 </td><td class="mileage"> 33,300 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Chestnut Hill, MA </td><td valign="top"> Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection View what was inspected
</td> </tr> <tr id="record13" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 06/14/2006 </td><td class="mileage"> 37,781 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Chestnut Hill, MA </td><td valign="top"> Passed safety inspection View what was inspected
</td> </tr> <tr id="record14" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 10/01/2006 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Jamaica Plain, MA
Title #AU054177 </td><td valign="top"> Registration issued or renewed
Vehicle color noted as Gray </td> </tr> <tr id="record15" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 07/02/2007 </td><td class="mileage"> 41,834 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection View what was inspected
</td> </tr> <tr id="record16" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 08/12/2008 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Chestnut Hill, MA </td><td valign="top"> Passed safety inspection View what was inspected
</td> </tr> <tr id="record17" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 10/01/2008 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Jamaica Plain, MA
Vehicle color noted as Gray </td> </tr> <tr id="record18" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 07/29/2009 </td><td class="mileage"> 49,806 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Allston, MA </td><td valign="top"> Passed safety inspection
Passed emissions inspection </td> </tr> <tr id="record19" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 07/26/2010 </td><td class="mileage"> 53,343 </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection </td> </tr> <tr id="record20" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 10/01/2010 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Massachusetts
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Jamaica Plain, MA
Vehicle color noted as Gray </td> </tr> <tr id="record21" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 05/13/2011 </td><td class="mileage"> 56,722 </td><td valign="top"> Prime Honda
West Roxbury, MA
617-469-1000
driveprime.com </td><td valign="top"> Exterior light bulb(s) replaced
Oil and filter changed </td> </tr> <tr id="record22" class="oddrow"><td valign="top"> 10/10/2011 </td><td class="mileage"> 57,526 </td><td valign="top"> Auto Auction
New England Region </td><td valign="top"> Listed as a dealer vehicle
Sold at auction </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow"><td colspan="4" class="xpertrow"> <table class="xpertSmall" width="100%" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align:bottom;" valign="bottom" width="62"> http://www.carfax.co...foxDtl_3044.gif </td><td width="100%"> http://www.carfax.co...cord-topper.gif

• Millions of used vehicles are bought and sold at auction every year.

</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr id="record23" class="evenrow"><td valign="top"> 11/10/2011 </td><td class="mileage"> </td><td valign="top"> Dealer Inventory
Online Listing
Cranston, RI </td><td valign="top"> Vehicle offered for sale </td> </tr><tr class="oddrow"><td class="xpertrow" colspan="4"> <table class="xpertLarge" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: bottom;" width="62"> http://www.carfax.co...foxDtl_3807.gif </td><td>

http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/img/xpert_long_top.gif

I'm here to help! Print and bring my SmartBuyer Checklist when you go to test drive this 1999 Toyota Camry CE/LE/XLE.
</td></tr></tbody></table> </td> </tr><tr class="printrow"><td colspan="4">http://www.carfax.co...g/printicon.gif Print this CARFAX Report and take it to your pre-purchase inspection</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

#50 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Do the Toyotas all have anti-lock brakes (ABS)?

I know some of the older jeeps don't. I prefer ABS. I think they're safer.