• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

I could use a good back snapping. :funny1:

I know there is one spot on me that I just can't get to, and I've had Rich try to help me "crack" it, and I just can't do it and it's driving me nuts. Any ideas on how to get to it?

I've never been to the chiropractor...I've heard they aren't all that great for you.

Thoughts?

#2 In A Silent Way

In A Silent Way
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,001 posts
  • LocationShoreline, CT

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

They're good for lowering the balance in your bank account.

#3 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Maybe I'll have an elephant step on my back. :lol:

#4 SunshineDrummer

SunshineDrummer

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 12,349 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I love my chiropractor. :)

The only advice I can give is to find a reputable one, not one of these quacks who thinks a chiropractic adjustment can cure anything & everything that's wrong with you or who tries to convince you to come in 2-3 times a week for maintenance adjustments. They're the ones trying to rip you off. Unfortunately, I got suckered by one of those years ago. Never again. So happy I found the one I go to now--he's terrific.

I go once every 4-6 weeks. My insurance covers it, so its only a co-pay per visit ($20). I wish you lived closer..I'd introduce you to my guy.

#5 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

I just want somebody to jump on me or something. It's right between my shoulder blades, but is more uncomfortable on my chest side. I thought I got it before, but it was a false alarm. :lol:

#6 wowzers

wowzers

Retired

• Retired
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

I second what SunshineDrummer said. I had a bad experience and it ruined it for me.

#7 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

So whatever crick I had in my back is now gone. Yay! :ura1:

#8 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

i swear by my chiropractor! i love him. If you go find one that does manual manipulation not the machine

He gets rid of so much else for me too with accupressure. When I'm getting sick i see him first...works like a charm :)

I'm glad your back is feeling better though :)

#9 Mama Kel

Mama Kel
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

I<3 my chiropractor. I try to go 1x a month. It helps w/ my back/neck probs, but also my chronic headaches (now non-existant), and allergies. I'm also just healthier overall when I go regularly.

Definitely get a reputable one that does manual manipulation.

#10 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

I love my chiropractor too! I go once every 2 weeks. It's nice to be pain free for several days at a time :)

#11 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

my chiro had me come in 2-3x/week for about 3 weeks. i didn't feel like he was a quack, or ripping me off... he taught me some really awesome muscle-strengthening exercises for my back which i still use to this day. he also did manual manipulation, and for the last 2 sessions i got ultrasound treatment (weird, right??) -- that part felt SO good and helped break up the tension in my problem areas. i am so glad i went, even just to learn the exercises. they really help to improve my posture and take the pressure off the "wrong" parts of my back and neck and redistribute weight where it should be. i spend a lot of time at my desk, so i can't afford to have these back problems.

#12 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:22 PM

I don't think I need a chiropractor after all. Turns out, I think the crick I had was a side effect of me having wheat. I think it was just tightness in my chest. Strange, I know, but I was getting really sinusey and sick feeling after having DD iced coffee, and I noticed the "crick" came on at the same time, and went away once the iced coffee left my system. I am now staying away from DD. :funny1:

#13 BoggleKng

BoggleKng
  • VibeTribe
  • 906 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

I would love one if I could afford one.. I used to go and they work wonders!!

#14 musicmomma

musicmomma
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

georgi, you may be correct because when my kidneys start to act up i feel a pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades. random how things are connected and affected. :monkey:

#15 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'll go 2 times a week if I have a flare-up..although I just went yesterday it feels like I need to go again. This weather is killing me. :rolleyes: My insurance only covers 30 visits a year though so I try to keep them evenly spaced out as much as possible.

#16 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

georgi, you may be correct because when my kidneys start to act up i feel a pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades. random how things are connected and affected. :monkey:

It is most certainly random. I haven't had the pain in days...so yay!!! :cheerleader:

#17 kramer

kramer
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

glad to hear it! avoiding wheat is much less expensive than doctor visits :)

#18 Erinisme

Erinisme
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationJersey Fresh

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

random pains are due to where nerve endings are.

glad you're feeling better

stay away from teh evil DD!

#19 NJFunk

NJFunk
  • VibeTribe
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

Mark me down in the "yay" column. I had a bulging disc this summer and into the fall. When it got bad enough that I started getting a burning sensation into my groin area, I went to physical therapy and they got the pain to go away, but I could still feel the injury in my spine. After that, I started going to a chiro, and after about a month of weekly manipulations, I can now say that it is finally 100% better.

Definitely go for one that does manual manipulations, and while 2-3 visits per week is probably excessive, this is something that really does benefit you with repeated visits. It's not something that you can stop in once and expect to get fixed and walk out.

If anyone is in the Mercer/Bucks County area and wants the name of the office I go/went to, PM me (they're in Newtown, PA).

#20 Elphaba

Elphaba
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

yes, adjustment and accupressure with my physical therapist helped me immensely with the nerve pain i experienced due to my hip problem.

#21 TheDHJ

TheDHJ
  • VibeTribe
  • 31,934 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

I work for chiros, and get adjusted weekly. I swear by chiropractic. Georgi, I know some personally out your way and would be glad to refer you.

#22 georgi

georgi
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

My back has been ok lately. I will keep you in mind, Josh. Thanks! :)

#23 sums

sums

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 10,450 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

anyone who's talked to me in the past year knows how i feel about my family's chiropractor. he is the man! :Phishfolk:

#24 YogaMermaid

YogaMermaid
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

Georgi - Everyone is different, so its ultimately up to you.
I used to have back pain from 2 car accidents I was in years ago, and a chiropractor actually did more damage then good.
I would suggest that you treat yourself to a spa treatment first, and see how you feel afterwards. A spa treatment will focus more on releasing the tension that is your back, and give you a chance to see how serious the issue is.
When I am stressed at work (which is pretty much 99% of the time) I tense my shoulders up, which leads to incredible pain. If it weren't for my boyfriend giving me constant massages after work, I would be booking whole weekend spa resorts like whoa.

#25 scrumhalf09

scrumhalf09

• VibeTribe
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

If any of you have any questions about chiropractic, seeing a chiropractor, or getting something explained visit

http://chiropracticplan.proboards.com/

I am a chiropractor hoping to clean up the profession along with a Orthopedic Surgeon and PT, we will be able to answer your questions. Just register and ask away.

#26 KittyKindBud

KittyKindBud
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Being a diver, gymnast and dancer all my life I have banged up my body pretty bad - especially when I was fooling around and dove from a starting block into the bottom of the pool (my mom was NOT HAPPY about that)

The only body work I have ever had done on me (professionally) is cranial sacrum work - and Blue Cross pays for it - it is considered physical therapy

#27 hoagie

hoagie
  • VibeTribe
  • 19,454 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

funny, this is exactly the pain I always seem to get when I drink too much alcohol...maybe its a kidney thing...

#28 Joe

Joe
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,298 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

This episode of Penn & Tellers Bull made me really think about Chiropractor's. It starts 40 seconds in.

#29 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

I know your back is better Georgi, but I don't see any reason to start a new thread. I want to talk about chiropractors.

For a while, I didn't think they really helped and I didn't go to one for the past several years.

In the meantime, I trashed my rotator cuff doing construction work and masking the pain with analgesics.

There's only so much of that your shoulder can take before you finally give up. That's where I'm at now.

I tried cortisone shots, and they helped for about a month and then the pain came back.

So, now I'm going to a chiropractor again... since Monday actually. I've gone Monday and Wednesday this week.

The first adjustment felt great, and I definitely noticed a reduction in pain.

The second adjustment felt good too, but then he had me do these shoulder blade pinching exercises. I bought a theraband and did the exercises more at home.

Now my pectoralis is killing me!

But I go back to see him tomorrow. I guess I'll just ice it for now and ask him what the deal is.

#30 MeOmYo

MeOmYo
  • VibeTribe
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:44 PM

anal :lol:

#31 nancykind

nancykind

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

I know your back is better Georgi, but I don't see any reason to start a new thread. I want to talk about chiropractors.

For a while, I didn't think they really helped and I didn't go to one for the past several years.

In the meantime, I trashed my rotator cuff doing construction work and masking the pain with analgesics.

There's only so much of that your shoulder can take before you finally give up. That's where I'm at now.

I tried cortisone shots, and they helped for about a month and then the pain came back.

So, now I'm going to a chiropractor again... since Monday actually. I've gone Monday and Wednesday this week.

The first adjustment felt great, and I definitely noticed a reduction in pain.

The second adjustment felt good too, but then he had me do these shoulder blade pinching exercises. I bought a theraband and did the exercises more at home.

Now my pectoralis is killing me!

But I go back to see him tomorrow. I guess I'll just ice it for now and ask him what the deal is.

when i had chiro done i noticed things got a little worse before they got better (same with PT, actually) but when they did get better it was fast improvement. the most important thing is to do the 'home'work. :thup: ultimately i had a falling out with that dr and started getting massage therapy instead. even more ultimately i need an mri and surgery on what is almost certainly a pinched nerve in my arthritic neck. :tongue:

#32 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

wow. that sucks... good luck with it.

I'm still sore. the doc said it's normal and I should be feeling better next week. I guess we'll see.

#33 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

I have definitely noticed that sometimes it's worse before it's better. I would never give up my chiropractor though. If it weren't for him I wouldn't be mobile.

#34 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

I'm actually starting to feel better today.

Also, the pops have been a lot less these past couple visits... the first time he did it, it crunched like a bag of potato chips.

Then, each time I go, the pops are less and less. I'm sure he's doing the same thing... but you never know. I kind of wonder... is he not doing it as hard now?

The pain is still there, though... will I ever feel completely better or is that just too much to ask?

#35 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

I don't think it is too much to ask.

This last round with my chiropractor has led to multiple days in a row pretty much pain free after nearly 3 years of pain including close to a year with sciatica.

#36 vinandtonic

vinandtonic
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

sciatica sucks. my right leg has had this weird on and off numb thing for months. :plain:

#37 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

so true, gall bladder issues cause an on-going ache in the right shoulder.

#38 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

g

i'm going to try out a chiro this month for neck and back stiffness.

#39 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:15 AM

So I'm still sore today. It's my ribs and sort of near the solar plexus, but under the collarbone anyway. At least the pain moved from my shoulder to a different spot.

The doc (chiro) said it's costochondritis which is the word for inflammation of the cartilage between your ribs.

Apparently I've had my injury for so long that there's things moving that haven't for a long time, and now I got this.

hurts like hell... feels like I'm being stabbed through my chest with a knife.

What are the chances it could be gallbladder?

The only thing for this costochondritis is ice-packs, anti-inflammatory medication, painkillers, and keep seeing the chiro I guess.

I wonder if I should go get full-blown steroids, or else cortisone shots. I'm in agony even with all the meds and ice.

Oh and ultra-sound.

#40 Doctor Albert

Doctor Albert

Banned

• Banned
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Look into Rolfing. I found it to be much more effective, and much longer lasting.

#41 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

I just heard about rolfing the other day! There is a practitioner not too far from me, but I'm not sure if I'm insurance covers it.

Have you had good results with it? Did your insurance cover it?

#42 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

Rolfing has helped me long term. I did a series, I forget how many. The first session hurt, I mean was really painful. IF the practitioner tells you to soak in Epsom salts that night, do it as it makes a big difference in soreness the next day. Mine was not covered by insurance, but the practitioner did not take insurance.

#43 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

I found a woman who does it in my area, but she also lives in CA most of the time I guess, comes back here to visit.

How much did you pay for the sessions, TEO?

This might be something I look into after I get back to work and can afford it a little easier.

The chiropractor has taken care of my shoulder pain 100%!

There's still this lingering stabbing in my ribs that I have to get cortisone shots for next week, and the neck aches a little.

The chiropractor says that the shots and a few more visits to see him will take care of the rest of the pain, and I'll be good as new.

I'm putting my faith in him, since he's gotten me this much better so far. He seems like a good guy. Also, he's not making me pay the co-payments anymore until I go back to work, so that's real nice of him too.