Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Does anyone want to start a documentary club?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Kind of like a book club, but instead we post a weekly documentary, have a committed group watch, and have a thread discussion about it?

I guess I just wish I had more people with whom to discuss some of the videos I've been watching (and provide thoughtful critique) and turn me on to documentaries they found to be of great impact as well.

Each week a member can post her/his video choice for all to watch (issues of politics, quantum physics, spirituality, environment, food supply, anything really)

I dunno, just a thought

OKAY, I'll add your name as people sign up. This will also be the order we will keep as to who gets to pick the next documentary. After everyone who has agreed to watch it, posts about it, we will agree to decide when there has been enough commentary about it and allow the next person to make the next pick. Please provide a link to the documentary you choose.

1. China (picked Thrive, The Price of Pleasure)
2. Vic (picked Inside Job)
3. TEO (picked Monopoly Men)
4. Tim (picked Innocence Betrayed)
5. Dave (picked Cold Fusion)
6. Capt. (God and the Universe)
7. Jabadoodle (Economics without Ecocide)
8. Manzanita (The lightbulb conspiracy)
9. Lola (The fog of war)

#2 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'd be interested in such.

#3 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:32 PM

totally interested. since me and you both just watched thrive, you wanna start with that?:smile:

#4 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

I would try. Might not be able to swing each one, but I would try. :smile:

#5 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

If you have a link for Thrive, I should have time to watch it this evening.

#6 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

And my first contribution, when the time comes, will be Claire Wolfe's Innocents Betrayed. It's available on youtube. Makes a pretty good case for keeping Amendment II freedoms intact, I think. It's pretty graphic...

#7 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm in. Can we go around the circle each week and somone new can pick the documentary? :crazy:

#8 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Okay, I'm excited. Tim has already offered a choice and Vic mentioned one that TEO has interest in as well.

Because I had such a visceral reaction to Thrive and question its validity, I would LOVE to start with that one. Are Tim, Dave, TEO game?

#9 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

I'll take a look at Thrive. Also am looking over Crash Course a bit at a time.

So, Thrive, first, we discuss it as we've viewed it, and then next Monday start another one?

#10 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,451 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

I would try. Might not be able to swing each one, but I would try. :smile:

This goes for me too. I'd be interested in at least being included in the list and checking each one out, as long as it's available on Netflix or on demand on my Time Warner Cable.

#11 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'll take a look at Thrive. Also am looking over Crash Course a bit at a time.

So, Thrive, first, we discuss it as we've viewed it, and then next Monday start another one?

sounds good. though we don't have to be exact about the date but roughly a week before moving on to the next. For all: Just don't jump the gun and start posting your documentary choice before we address the current choice.

#12 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

This goes for me too. I'd be interested in at least being included in the list and checking each one out, as long as it's available on Netflix or on demand on my Time Warner Cable.

I'll go a step further, must be available as on-line link (google video/youtube) in order to ensure all have access.

no wafflers, rich. are you in or out :lol:

#13 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

I guess this would have to be on the honor system, but can we agree that in order to participate in the discussion, we each agree to limit that discussion to facts and opinions about the content/subject of the film we've watched, and refrain from personal attacks and name calling?

#14 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Not that anyone who's "signed up" thus far is prone to that sort of thing. Well, except TEO. She's a gigantic bitch. :funny1:

#15 Lemireacle

Lemireacle
  • VibeTribe
  • 27,451 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

no wafflers, rich. are you in or out :lol:

Like I said, I'm interested. If I can swing watching it in the allowed time, I'll participate in the discussion.

#16 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

I guess this would have to be on the honor system, but can we agree that in order to participate in the discussion, we each agree to limit that discussion to facts and opinions about the content/subject of the film we've watched, and refrain from personal attacks and name calling?

absolutely

Like I said, I'm interested. If I can swing watching it in the allowed time, I'll participate in the discussion.

k, you're on the list now :smile:

#17 Raynequeen

Raynequeen
  • VibeTribe
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:17 PM

im in

#18 capt_morgan

capt_morgan
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,495 posts
  • Locationatlantic ocean

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

i'll play

#19 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

im in

i'll play

added to list.

Since capt, vic and i have already seen Thrive, any questions you want to pose to those about to watch it?

what did you think of discussion of Torus? what is your explanation of crop circles? If "camps" aren't designated for purpose proposed in film, what is an alternative explanation? what is your theory regarding declining sperm counts? find anything in video that has been proven to be inaccurate? overall pros/cons of video? would you suggest any additional steps beyond what the producer recommends?

#20 TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

I'll watch Thrive today. Is there a link for it, Kris?

#21 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

posted above, Dave (post #8)

#22 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

sure, why not?

#23 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

So how we gonna do this? Will the "suggester" of each week's film start a review/discussion thread for it?

#24 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

sooo many documentaries to choose from.

there should be a time limit or something though, because some documentaries are really long or have multiple parts.

#25 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

[quote name='Tim The Beek']So how we gonna do this? Will the "suggester" of each week's film start a review/discussion thread for it?[/qu

we can keep 'em all here? just hit "view first unread" each time you come back.

peacefrog, let common sense guide. if the doc. is 3 hours long, maybe we can discuss first half before moving on to second half. but i think video length should prolly be kept at 30 minutes to 2 hours.

#26 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

Cool. :)

#27 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,256 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Good idea, especially for the winter months! I'm in.

I suggest separate thread for each documentary. People are bound to
keep discussing the last one(s) as we move on to new ones. Which is
good. But if all in one thread, it will get confusing who's referring to what,
especially for someone that joins joins late or misses a few weeks.

About name-calling, etc: As TTB said, it will have to be on the honor (or peer
pressure) system. One person's off-topic personal attack is another's relevant
comment. But I do like the sentiment.

#28 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

Not that anyone who's "signed up" thus far is prone to that sort of thing. Well, except TEO. She's a gigantic bitch. :funny1:

:kiss: :moon: :grin:

#29 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

I'm not sure I could do a weekly sort of thing b/c that would be a lot of watching for me, but I could prolly swing a viewing every-other week.

I love docs and am always looking to view some new ones. I have a matched pair that show two sides of the same coin that are excellent watched back-to-back (not necessarily the same night, just good to see them juxtaposed to one another while still fresh in your mind) that I'd enjoy suggesting at a later date. :)

#30 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:40 AM

Good idea, especially for the winter months! I'm in.

I suggest separate thread for each documentary. People are bound to
keep discussing the last one(s) as we move on to new ones. Which is
good. But if all in one thread, it will get confusing who's referring to what,
especially for someone that joins joins late or misses a few weeks.

About name-calling, etc: As TTB said, it will have to be on the honor (or peer
pressure) system. One person's off-topic personal attack is another's relevant
comment. But I do like the sentiment.

Okay, we'll keep Thrive here and then when TEO picks, She can start a new thread titled something like, well, "TEO's Documentary Club Choice." First post should include a link to the video and any questions the chooser may want us to contemplate as we watch.

How's that?

I also like the idea of each documentary becoming a new post because it may create more interest from boardies not "in the club" who might otherwise feel overwhelmed and disinterested in trying to participate in one monster thread that seems exclusive to "members."

If this thread dies, we will need to ensure the list and order (of those who will choose the next documentary) stays alive somehow.

#31 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:52 AM

I'm not sure I could do a weekly sort of thing b/c that would be a lot of watching for me, but I could prolly swing a viewing every-other week.

I love docs and am always looking to view some new ones. I have a matched pair that show two sides of the same coin that are excellent watched back-to-back (not necessarily the same night, just good to see them juxtaposed to one another while still fresh in your mind) that I'd enjoy suggesting at a later date. :)

I love the idea of back-to-back documentaries that argue opposing perspectives--truly informative and balanced (that will be up to the boardie to post next on the list though).

I would like boardies on the list to commit to posting a documentary when his/her name comes up and engage is some form of consistent participation regarding other group member's choices.

If you're not on the list, you can of course still participate in those viewings that interest you. Do you want in :huh:

#32 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:00 AM

Yes, yes, I certainly do want in! I just don't know that I will be able to watch a flick a week - between packing up my house to move, renting or selling it (not sure which yet) going to MTL for my interview, visiting friends and family, and working for 18 days straight, December is a pretty full month for me... Might be easier to participate more frequently in the new year, tho. And any docs I don't have the time to watch will go to my queue for viewing at a later date. And of course I'll be interested in reading others' thoughts on films even if I hadn't had the chance to view them and participate in the resulting discourse.

Just watched Food Inc last night, and have been into docs for most of my life so it is territory I am rather fond of. :)

#33 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:02 AM

yay! added to the list :mrgreen:

#34 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

Thankee - this is gonna be awesome! :clapping:

#35 Lazy Lightning

Lazy Lightning
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

And thanks for the rosebud shout-out! :funny1:

(Where's JBetty and her boobage emoticon when I need her? :lol:)

#36 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:06 AM

I would like boardies on the list to commit to posting a documentary when his/her name comes up and engage is some form of consistent participation regarding other group member's choices.

watch, I'll be the one to drop the ball :lol:

#37 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

And thanks for the rosebud shout-out! :funny1:

(Where's JBetty and her boobage emoticon when I need her? :lol:)

:funny1:

#38 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:33 AM

Homework completed.

#39 china cat

china cat
  • VibeTribe
  • 14,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:42 AM

wow, teo, yay

If I had known Thrive was going to be my choice, I would have jotted some notes while watching (in order to formulate better questions) but I did include some questions in post 19

#40 PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog
  • VibeTribe
  • 8,284 posts
  • LocationWhisky a Go Go

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

We could keep this thread alive with the list, and also links to all the threads discussing the most recent documentary.

#41 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:13 AM

watched Thrive, and will try to write something coherent during the day.

#42 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

More I think on it, the more leaving this thread for discussions of what we'll watch next, etc. is a good way to go. Kris, do you want to start a thread for the Thrive reviews?

#43 Tim the Beek

Tim the Beek
  • VibeTribe
  • 15,586 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Maybe with the link to the documentary in the first post of the thread?

#44 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

added to list.

Since capt, vic and i have already seen Thrive, any questions you want to pose to those about to watch it?

what did you think of discussion of Torus? what is your explanation of crop circles? If "camps" aren't designated for purpose proposed in film, what is an alternative explanation? what is your theory regarding declining sperm counts? find anything in video that has been proven to be inaccurate? overall pros/cons of video? would you suggest any additional steps beyond what the producer recommends?

well, i'd definitely want to know more about free energy. seems all they do is suggest that the research is there that proves it is possible without getting into true detail about it. i guess that's what the website is for. i refuse to believe that crop circles are the work of vandals, but i'm open to any explanation even though alien life makes a lot of sense.

if we're gonna get into the declining sperm counts, i'd say that a lot of that is caused by man-made shit like what's in our food, what they're spraying in the skies, etc.

i'm gonna discuss this a lot further when i see what some others have to add about it, and hopefully we can go point by point. i think it's great how the movie is set up step by step the way it is, following the money in a way that takes you places you don't expect to go from the beginning of the movie and offering that we've had technologies that we still haven't used for over 100 years that could have prevented this mess we're in and explaining why we're not using them. very eye-opening.

#45 vic

vic
  • VibeTribe
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

maybe we can sticky this thread?

#46 TEO

TEO

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 21,980 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Good call

#47 Karen

Karen
  • VibeTribe
  • 9,844 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

I am interested!

#48 wonka

wonka

VibeGuide

• VibeGuide
  • 6,609 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

I am going to play and will watch Thrive in the next 48 hours :)

#49 Jabadoodle

Jabadoodle
  • VibeTribe
  • 5,256 posts
  • LocationBoston MA

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Watched Thrive last night. Like the idea of a separate
thread/movie, keeping this one for the meta-discussion
of what to watch next, etc. Forming thoughts on Thrive
to post tonight.

#50 bizzle

bizzle
  • VibeTribe
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

I'm interested, don't know that I can commit fully but I am certainly willing to try.
Along with youtube and google vids there is always Documentary Heaven. Not sure that they will have all the docs people suggest but they do seem to have quite a few to choose from.