Anyone Sew? (help needed)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:35 AM

Does anyone know a good way to get chenille out of my sewing machine? I use aircans, and the brush thing they give you, but my machine still jams up because of all the chenille stuck in it.
I've been through three machines in a year (I am a designer, so everytime one breaks I have to get a new one so I can fill my orders. I can't wait and get it fixed).
I know someone must know a spiffy tool to solve this problem.

#2 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

when you sew chenille (or sequins or any other fabric that may muck up your machine) try putting parchment paper/newspaper/any paper on top so the fabric doesnt muck up the needle.

Alcohol will clean the needle....where else do you have it stuck???

other than that...i dunno, discet your machine with a screwdrive and tweezers! :lol:

#3 Sunny Sunshine

Sunny Sunshine
  • VibeTribe
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

Take it to get cleaned very frequently is what I suggest on top of everything Terra said :)

#4 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

I am so bad, I've never taken a machine to get it cleaned. I was told to just get it serviced once a year, but that's prob not for people who sew all day, every day.

#5 wabbit

wabbit
  • VibeTribe
  • 785 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

Definitely get a tune up for your machine if you are using "woojie" fabrics like chenille or other lint inducing choices.. I take apart my machine and just get in there with long handled (stiff) paint brushes. put some machine oil on the bristles so things adhere to it better. Parchment paper is an excellent idea! it tears off quite easily, so you won't ruin your stiches.. check your needle often for burrs as well, they can make a mess out of already messy fabrics..

:heart:

I sooooo need to get my machine out and start creating, I am such a slacker.. I suck..

#6 HoopsTer

HoopsTer
  • VibeTribe
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

I sooooo need to get my machine out and start creating, I am such a slacker.. I suck..

Me too. Me too.

#7 CaliBella

CaliBella
  • VibeTribe
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

Thanks, I vaccumed it and oiled it. I am going to wait until we move (2 months) to get it serviced as the nearest place here is 2 hours away ): .
Sewing is like neap and ebb for me. Sometimes I get these huge orders and it makes me want to barf thinking of all the sewing and I just can't stand it.

Definitely get a tune up for your machine if you are using "woojie" fabrics like chenille or other lint inducing choices.. I take apart my machine and just get in there with long handled (stiff) paint brushes. put some machine oil on the bristles so things adhere to it better. Parchment paper is an excellent idea! it tears off quite easily, so you won't ruin your stiches.. check your needle often for burrs as well, they can make a mess out of already messy fabrics..

#8 twilight dancer

twilight dancer
  • VibeTribe
  • 962 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

they should clean the machine when they tune it up.

air cans are good for quick shoot outs-i wouldnt use them extensivley because that chemical in there isnt good for metal parts oiled.
but if you have access to an air compressor- i'd say open every area of your machine that you can and shoot the hell out of it with air.
thats how i clean my big un embroidery machines at work. ive taken my sewing machine in and done the same to it- bingo. good to go.

and what terra said about the tissue paper....