• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

have no problem connecting my tmobile droid using the HOTSPOT to my laptop

but bot a couple of powerhouse Dell Desktops from work... and cannot get the "tethering" to work... tmobile claimed I had to sign up for some 14.99 tethering plan.. but that did not change.

POINT OF Question:

Does anyone use a USB Wireless Adaptor on their desktop computer?

I found a really inexpensive one at Best Buy and was curious if anyone uses something like this - thanks in advance.
http://lh3.googleuse...r_tG7tS1QtHhqWY

#2 Depends

Depends
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

T-Mobile will want you to pay, but droids come with the functionality built in. No need to pay T-Mobile...

You can use a USB wireless adpater, I use them at work in places where a cable is not available.

#3 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

If you have rooted the phone there is a wireless tether. If not there are a number of products that will do it for you. I've used PDA Net, but ther are free ones like https://market.andro...d=com.USB&hl=en

#4 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:38 PM

seems easier... to go wireless adaptor.

yeah, I could not FNG believe it when I called them... and they upsold me on that... I was so frustrated I said FINE. then they said it would take two hours to kick in.
I called back in the morning and they could not get the tethering to work, so I said you know what, forget it... cancel it.. they were like OK, you've only been charged 50 cents.

I laughed and chimed in about how sweet of them to only charge me 50 cents for something that NEVER worked.

Oddly enough, they also claimed for me to connect wirelessly to my laptop was also a part of this charge and I've been doing that for months, and it works after the cancel.

OK, cool. wireless adaptor it is.

oh you missed quite an evening at DSO the other night.... my pals were OUT OF CONTROL... the one boston boardizen who came down to meet us on the free ticket may have endured more "hugs" from my friend then he might of liked. :lol:

we sold the others for 20 a pop.

good show though :smile:

#5 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

Dan the issue seems to be, that when I connect my Phone to my desktop via USB, it should recognize it as new hardware, and allow me to "install the driver"
my phone has a "tethering" option

I'm thinking it's because of XP? so the driver is: tetherxp.inf

but no matter what I do, it's not recognizing the driver, or something.. so fuck it.

#6 Deadshow Dan

Deadshow Dan
  • VibeTribe
  • 11,882 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

ahhhhhh, scuse me

yeah it needs the right driver. You can install it before you attach the hardware, I believe

#7 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

if the wireless adaptor works fine Ima skip the messing with it and go that route.

#8 unbroken_chain

unbroken_chain
  • VibeTribe
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

found, bid on, and won a Netgear wireless USB Adapter on ebay for 6.50 total incl shipping, arrived and tested on my work PC.... works well - :smile:
connected to my android hotspot no problemo :jamguy: